300 is Amazing.

My original point, that you have forgotten, is that I prefer 'historical accuracy' over works of fiction. So I probably wouldn't enjoy this 'work of fiction' as much as something that sticks to the original story of the 300 Spartans.

Cheers,

Red Coat

My original point, that you have forgotten, is that I prefer 'historical accuracy' over works of fiction. So I probably wouldn't enjoy this 'work of fiction' as much as something that sticks to the original story of the 300 Spartans.

Cheers,

Red Coat

So you're saying that you are boring, right?

It must be pretty boring, living without imagination.

And COMPLETE historical accuracy is a freaking fallacy. There is no such thing, strictu sensu. All you can have is versions.

Especially when you're talking about something that happened 2500 yrs ago.

So you're saying that you are boring, right?

It must be pretty boring, living without imagination.

And COMPLETE historical accuracy is a freaking fallacy. There is no such thing, strictu sensu. All you can have is versions.

Especially when you're talking about something that happened 2500 yrs ago.

Nah, I've got a massive imagination, anybody that knows me will tell you that. Just not when it comes to historical events, then I prefer realism. If I don't have an imagination, why am I writing a massive fantasy story where I've thrown mythical creatures 200-300 years into the future? Or when I'm not doing that, creating a sci-fi story set in the 2800s?

And since when did I say I wanted COMPLETE historical accuracy? I know there is no such thing, nobody ever knows the full truth about something, which makes it even more difficult to make a movie or whatever on it with total accuracy. I more want at least an attempt to be moderately accurate, I enjoy it more that way. :p

Cheers,

Red Coat

My original point, that you have forgotten, is that I prefer 'historical accuracy' over works of fiction.
And my point, that you have ignored, is that nobody cares. It was never asked if 300 passed your silly litmus test. You didn't come to discuss the movie, you came to buff your ego; get out of my thread.

My original point, that you have forgotten, is that I prefer 'historical accuracy' over works of fiction.

So why are you going to a movie that you know is fictional, when you can sit at home with a documentary?

Now, now, we've all proven we can ignore each other here -- lets just stop harping on this issue...

Nah, I've got a massive imagination, anybody that knows me will tell you that. Just not when it comes to historical events, then I prefer realism. If I don't have an imagination, why am I writing a massive fantasy story where I've thrown mythical creatures 200-300 years into the future? Or when I'm not doing that, creating a sci-fi story set in the 2800s?

And since when did I say I wanted COMPLETE historical accuracy? I know there is no such thing, nobody ever knows the full truth about something, which makes it even more difficult to make a movie or whatever on it with total accuracy. I more want at least an attempt to be moderately accurate, I enjoy it more that way. :p

Cheers,

Red Coat

Well, then I don't know why are we debating :)

Thing is, Miller made the 300 comic as a little side-project, indulging his own fancies... I bought it when it first came out, some years ago, and he stated that he did that comic as an homage to the movie about Thermopilae he watched when he was a kid.

I mean, it's not supposed to be the definitive depiction of the historical fact, but his own version of a tale that, to him, was as mythological as the Odissey. That's why it has no compromise with being accurate, that was never the point. Nor is it supposed to be ultra mega high fancy art. It's just an artist pandering to his inner child :)

Of course, you might not be interested in that kind of movie/comic book, but a) that's not the movie's problem, b) it adds nothing to the debate. Whether you like or not historically inaccurate movies is not important to the discussion of said movie... I say that without any sarcasm or aggressiveness, I'm just pointing it out.

Anyway, you like Il-2, so you must be a nice person :D

Well, then I don't know why are we debating :)

Thing is, Miller made the 300 comic as a little side-project, indulging his own fancies... I bought it when it first came out, some years ago, and he stated that he did that comic as an homage to the movie about Thermopilae he watched when he was a kid.

I mean, it's not supposed to be the definitive depiction of the historical fact, but his own version of a tale that, to him, was as mythological as the Odissey. That's why it has no compromise with being accurate, that was never the point. Nor is it supposed to be ultra mega high fancy art. It's just an artist pandering to his inner child :)

Of course, you might not be interested in that kind of movie/comic book, but a) that's not the movie's problem, b) it adds nothing to the debate. Whether you like or not historically inaccurate movies is not important to the discussion of said movie... I say that without any sarcasm or aggressiveness, I'm just pointing it out.

Anyway, you like Il-2, so you must be a nice person :D

Fair cop. Good points, well said.

Cheers,

Red Coat

Well, I finally saw the movie, and it's really freaking awesome.

I loved all the slowmotion. I hate all the previous hack'n'slash movies where the fight scenes are an epileptic strobing nightmare, straight from MTV music videos. I like ACTUALLY seeing the whole action.

I liked everything in the movie, it was just what I expected, being a long, long time Frank Miller fan.

Back