[2020-02] Some novel character portraits

Wings might need to come up a bit. I hesitate to mention the length of the beak as well; yours looks fine as is IMHO and it could be that Firekkans have beaks of varying length depending on genetics. There's not much to go on canonically with them.

If you need some suggestions for names, feel free to make use of the onomastikon data in the RPG. The data there alone can generate a little over 1300 unique male Firekkan names.

Wings might need to come up a bit.

Got it. Perhaps I could draw the wings in a layer so the position could be easily adjusted.

I hesitate to mention the length of the beak as well; yours looks fine as is IMHO and it could be that Firekkans have beaks of varying length depending on genetics. There's not much to go on canonically with them.

Yes, for this character, I intentionally designed the beak to be short... This could be described as a compromise between the original version and this version of the design. I really like the robe as well as the pattern of the second design.

I tested the long beak shape... it seems slightly.... Anyway I think I could release a long beak version for evaluation. Please wait.

If you need some suggestions for names, feel free to make use of the onomastikon data in the RPG.

Thanks so much! That's exactly what I need!

Last edited:
Likkna

Likkna_watching.jpg

@capi3101 Now I have uploaded two versions, normal beak and long beak. Thanks for you data, I named this character Likkna. Remember the Varni named Kna? This might make for an interesting coincidence.

The inspiration for this comes from... two of my junior high school classmates have very close names, and the girl has one more charcter at the end of her name...

EDIT: Added color version.

Attachments

• Likkna_longbeak.png
    Likkna_longbeak.png
    199.3 KB · Views: 117
  • Likkna.png
    Likkna.png
    196.4 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
This is really a question for @Bandit LOAF; I know the topic has come up quite a number of times over the years. I'd say 5-6 off the top of my head without checking any of the sources, so I wouldn't take my word for it at all.
I still want to use a symmetrical logo, since if the portrait contains any asymmetrical elements, I'll have to store different PNG files in both directions, which is somewhat of a burden for future maintenance, not to mention the extra storage space used.

P.S. Khajiit and Kna's asymmetrical design is sort of bringing trouble on myself, hahahahaha.

New screenshots:

Screenshot061.jpg

Screenshot062.jpg

@capi3101 I just worked out a city streetscape of a planet in Pasqual... I'm still not very good at drawing architecture. But, since this scene was on public transportation, this isn't a static background, but a multi-layer scrolling background, yeah!

EDIT: Added streetlight building and a satellite in the sky.

Last edited:
1600896048579.png

Yeah, I think yours is good. Didn't quite realize just how dark the scene from WC3 was when I suggested it originally...

Didn't quite realize just how dark the scene from WC3 was when I suggested it originally...

I found a slightly brighter frame group of this scene... on the flash of T-bomb.

P.S. I always find this architecture style reminds me of ASUS ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 Router...

Last edited:
I referenced the feel of this screenshot:

WC4Pasqual.jpg

To an Terran's eye, this place looks a lot more normal than Kilrah of WC3...

Note the "moon" at upper left, I tried to recreate it, and it moves on the screen of my VN! You could notice that the position of the "moon" has changed a bit in my second screenshot.

Last edited:
The gist of Chapter 3:

TCN is producing a historical documentary program. A presswoman and a intern Firekkan cameraman interviewed a retired Kat pilot, Haga Kaligara...

Attachments

• Screenshot065.jpg
    Screenshot065.jpg
    233.7 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
New Screenshots:

Video Chatting.

Dream back to the air-raid shelter of 2668.

Attachments

• Screenshot066.jpg
    Screenshot066.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 112
  • Screenshot067.jpg
    Screenshot067.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
I designed an additional background setting: Three taboos when spending time with a Firekkan: cracking eggs, roast chicken, and badminton. Is it reasonable? Thanks! @capi3101

Context:

Character 1 (Player): Mai, A reports woman

Character 2: Master, the black cat

mai "Well, there was a funny thing."
mai "The Firekkan intern, I just asked him to get me a scrambled egg, and he couldn't stand to see the chef crack eggs."

master "\"Culture differences, right?\""
master "\"Let's hope you won't take him to play badminton.\""

mai "..."
mai "I see..."

master "\"Mind you, spending time with Firekkans, cracking eggs, roast chicken, and badminton are three taboos that are easily broken by Terrans.\""

mai "Gee..."
mai "I do know the roast chicken one, but I'm really unfamiliar with the other two."

master "\"Since you are in charge of Likkna the intern, you should put more effort into this.\""

mai "!"
mai "Glad you remember his name."

master "\"It's a matter of course!\""
master "\"Honestly, the fact that you did a great job on your previous interview in Pasqual shows that you had done enough homework, but it's recommended that you don't just do this type of preparation when you have a job to do.\""
master "\"It's important to accumulate cross-species cultural knowledge in general.\""

mai "Yes, yes, I accept your teachings, my master cat."

master "\"Fine with me. But watch your language when you see other Kilrathi.\""

mai "Of course, of course!"

mai "Well, so many Firekkan taboos, huh?"

master "\"You Terrans have a lot of taboos, too!\""
master "\"Do not forget there was a TCN guy fell in faint in a ranch world when reporting a Bare-Claw Hunting activity last year.\""

mai "Gee... That's because one of the war correspondent cameramen who was going to be there was temporarily reassigned to another team."
mai "The temporary replacement was a sports channel cameraman."

Last edited:
I can see cracking eggs. Roast chicken would probably be distasteful; don't know about taboo though.

Badminton......well...................................................

(Heck if I know; there's not a lot of data out there about Firekkans. Feel free to roll with whatever you want.)

@ODVS Sorry to bother, but could you please tell me how many minutes you spent playing the entire "High-tech Pay-back" plot? I'd like to make a rough length estimate of this part. Also, do you feel that I have conveyed things clearly in this section? I was trying to complement Catscratch's arc with this part.

Thanks so much!

EDIT:

1. Catscratch was willing to protect Sosa from physical threats, but was too embarrassed to say so explicitly, only that he was here to protect Pliers' entire team. However, this thought was certainly not hidden from Pliers.

2. Sosa was more attentive to some details.

3. Melek called in a very suitable mechanic team.

4. Khajiit has a "soft" personality and as a logistician he maintains a humble posture in front of the pilots.

5. In the process of solving technical problems, they slowly let down their guard.

6. Khajiit tried hard to show his respect for the officers present and his own willingness to be friendly.

7. Talking about Blair's identity, Khajiit showed his admiration for "the Savior", which surprised the crowd and left Catscratch, who also admired Blair, feeling more subconsciously satisfied.

8. Through his interactions with Kna the Varni, Catscratch initially realized that the actual reality was far more complex and "colorful" than he had previously imagined.

9. Khajiit made some friendly gestures regarding Catscratch and Sosa's romantic relationship, further bridging the gap between the two sides.

Last edited:
@ODVS Sorry to bother, but could you please tell me how many minutes you spent playing the entire "High-tech Pay-back" plot? I'd like to make a rough length estimate of this part. Also, do you feel that I have conveyed things clearly in this section? I was trying to complement Catscratch's arc with this part.

Thanks so much!

Hi @EmuMusicFan - not at all! Happy to help if I can :)

Sorry I can't be specific, but it was a while ago now and I wasn't timing it. From memory, it feels like maybe 8-10 minutes? But that could be quite inaccurate.

As for complementing Catscratch's arc, yes, I thought that worked exceptionally well. In-game, it always felt like Catscratch's pivot from "I wish I could fight me some Kats" to easily accepting Blair's live-and-let-live advice felt a bit under-developed. I loved the way this added optional back story that fleshed that motivation out more.

...it always felt like Catscratch's pivot from "I wish I could fight me some Kats" to easily accepting Blair's live-and-let-live advice felt a bit under-developed...
That's a good point. But I think I took Catscratch's character as just someone who was easily swayed by the more experienced pilots around him. As an inexperienced pilot he seemed to follow Maniac's advice pretty readily enough. Thinking about it more, I also remembered he had Sosa to 'straighten him out'. The opinion of a female would certainly have swayed him here!

Sorry I can't be specific, but it was a while ago now and I wasn't timing it. From memory, it feels like maybe 8-10 minutes? But that could be quite inaccurate.

Thank you very much! I think I can make a rough estimate!
Can I go ahead and ask how you feel about the other two scenes in Chapter 2?

The first scene is the end of WC3, the novel version combined with the game's plot. The second scene, in the WC4 novelization, by that time, Blair was actually tense and awkward, and I've shown it more lightly in a play-within-a-play kind of way (how the Kats promoted that part of the story - deifying Blair, of course).

Back