[2020-02] Some novel character portraits

EmuMusicFan

Spaceman
Hello everyone! Recently I am drawing some portraits of novel characters. I hope to have the opportunity to share with you Wing Commander novel super fans here and listen to your suggestions.

I am not a professional painter. Actually, I haven’t been serious about drawing for a long time. My past experiences mainly came form graffiti on the notepads and class posters when I was a middle school student. I really love some scenes of Action Stations, and this book gave me the enthusiasm to pick up the pen again. Due to my lack of basic painting skills training, it is not surprising that these portraits have some technical problems. I would be grateful if you could give me criticism and guidance.

I'm just a new fan and I have very limited knowledge of the series, so if there is anything wrong, please correct me.

I will update the thread frequently.

BTW: Hrothgars in FF14 are really good models.

[2020-02-20] update Jukaga's portrait
[2020-02-20] typo fix as well as update Melek's portrait
[2020-02-18] add a portrait of Juvenile Jukaga nar Vakka (02-20 updated)
[2020-02-16] add a portrait of Admiral Nargth (02-19 updated)
[2020-02-14] add portraits of Gilkarg nar Kiranka family and a portrait of Melek nar Kiranka
[2020-02-13] add a portrait of Harga nar Ki'ra (02-14 updated)
[2020-02-12] Initial post with portraits of Baron Vakka nar Ki'ra

Last edited:

EmuMusicFan

Spaceman
Baron Vakka nar Ki'ra

Vakka_a.png

"My Emperor, my brothers of the other clans, I urge you to consider one point yet again. Now is not the time to wage war upon the Confederation. "

Vakka_bowing.png

"My Emperor, I follow thy call for the hunt. Point out the prey to us and we shall spring upon it, but I beg for thee the right to point to the other herds which thou might not have gazed upon. ”

Vakka_t.png

"But this one? No, I do not want it. It is the wrong war, in the wrong place, at the wrong time. "

Last edited:

EmuMusicFan

Spaceman
Harga nar Ki'ra

Harga_a.png

"Ah, so you do know a few words of their standard speech. "

P.S.
At present, this is the character face design that I am most satisfied with. I really like the character of Harga, even though there is only one scene where he appeared directly.

Update: Better font?

Last edited:

EmuMusicFan

Spaceman
Juvenile Jukaga nar Vakka

JuvenileJukaga_a.png

“His blood is thick. ”

Finally I have finished the draft portrait of Juvenile Jukaga nar Vakka. As mentioned in Fleet Action, Jukaga's eyes are dark. I intend to deal with this in the coloring.

Last edited:

L.I.F.

Vice Admiral
Phew, now I kinda want to see a comic made in this art taking place entirely within Kilrathi space, with no humans. It could be a great opportunity to show their society like some of the books briefly did. Great art!

EmuMusicFan

Spaceman
Phew, now I kinda want to see a comic made in this art taking place entirely within Kilrathi space, with no humans. It could be a great opportunity to show their society like some of the books briefly did. Great art!
Thanks for your encouragement!

Now I have uploaded Harga's portrait. Design of Juvenile Jukaga's portrait may be a challange. Perhaps I need more time.

Last edited:

EmuMusicFan

Spaceman
Gilkarg nar Kiranka

Gilkarg_a.png

"Va ka garga ka naru ha gara. Those not of the blood must have their blood spilt. "

Ratha nar Kiranka

Ratha_a.png

"Precisely why we must fight the Confederation now -- or are you afraid of them? "

Thrakhath nar Kiranka

Thrakhath_a.png

“You would have killed him. ”

Last edited:

EmuMusicFan

Spaceman
Bonus Portrait:

Chancellor Melek

Melek_a.png

“Hmm, it's a decision I do not regret. ”

This is Melek after 2670s. I think, as of 2634, Melek is not yet born or very young.

Last edited:

EmuMusicFan

Spaceman
Admiral Nargth

Nargth_a.png

“There are many ifs. ”

P.S. As the moment, medals and ornaments are casually drawn. If you have better suggestions for the formal design, please let me know.

Last edited:

EmuMusicFan

Spaceman
Design of Juvenile Jukaga's portrait is really a great challange. When I finally found the feeling, it was really pleasant.

Now I have finished 10 draft version portraits of Kilrathi characters in Action Stations. Perhaps now I need to try coloring while continuing to adjust the drafts. 🤝

Edit: typo fix for Jukaga's name

Last edited:

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator
Looking good! A couple clarifications on nomenclature: it's Jukaga, not Jukarga. Also, we don't know what clan Melek belongs to, except that he's not a Kiranka. Heart of the Tiger calls him a retainer and a subordinate, and there is this passage:

"Melek began to wish he had never accepted the post as Thrakhath's chee'dyachee. As senior vassal and retainer to the Crown Prince, he wieled great power and commanded much influence... and was perfectly placed to watch the Imperial family in the interests of his own Clan."