1001 Video Games You Must Play Before You Die

Iceman16

Vice Admiral
So I was looking around my local Chapters when I spotted this book:

I started reading and came across an article on WC4:

I took a couple pictures of the text with my iPhone so I can re-write it on here since its pretty blurry. Has anyone else come across this book? WC4 was the only WC game in the book but the article does mention some of the innovations of the other WC games.

As much as I love WC4 (and I do!), it seems odd that the game everyone had complained about being too much story and not enough gameplay - is now the best in the series?

As much as I love WC4 (and I do!), it seems odd that the game everyone had complained about being too much story and not enough gameplay - is now the best in the series?

I don't recall complaining about that. In fact, that's partly why I think it's the best in the series.

Of course, it helps that what gameplay it had was really good. The WC4 gameplay is arguably the best GAMEPLAY in the series. Making missiles so deadly (so they actually live up to Hunter's comments), making capital ships relatively powerful, making the fighters very diverse with their own quirks, and making the AI quite good all combine to make the dogfighting very very fun.

Back in the day there was definitely a large portion of the fanbase that whined about the story to gameplay ratio (even if they liked the story).

Back in the day there was definitely a large portion of the fanbase that whined about the story to gameplay ratio (even if they liked the story).

In a way, we predated a bad internet trend. People complained a lot about how Story > Gameplay WC4 was... and once Prophecy came out, those same people complained that it was Gameplay > Story!. Now you see this back-asswards logic all over Kotakus and whatnot gaming blogs.

here is the article:

Original Release Date: 1995
Platform: Various
Developer: Origin Systems
Genre: Shoot 'Em Up

Wing Commander is like TV's Battlestar Galactica played out through the eyes of fighter pilots, only with more World War II dogfights.

Capital ships are the cities, aces their champions, and the vacuum in between is where the fate of the galaxy unfolds. Plots are uncovered, patrols ambushed- it's always "quiet, too quiet"- and deaths are avenged by gatling guns and missiles. The narrative is unbroken throughout, the banter moving from the cockpit to the mess hall and back again, creating a snese of camaraderie and the drama.

Over the next nine years each of the games marks a turning point in noninteractivity, be it the groundbreaking animated cutscenes of Wing Commander II: Vengeance of the Kilrathi, or the real-life actors and blue screens of Wing Commander III: Heart of the Tiger. The format stayed the same but the balance of resources shifted, the player needing ever greater hardware while games demanded spiraling budgets. At a then-unheard-of $12 million, Wing Commander IV topped the lot.

Set during the aftermath of the Terran-Kilrathi War that preoccupied games one to three, The Price of Freedom is the second to star Mark Hamil and Malcolm McDowell. Filmed at broadcast quality using actual sets, its B-grade drama spanned six CD-ROMs, and had to be down-sampled (until a later DVD release) to play on hardware available at the time. It's a remarkably literal attemp to bring games and movies together which, like many of the interactive movies of the '90s, learns the pitfalls the hard way. It's actually hard to suspend belief when so much of what you're seeing is real, and even harder to withhold judgement of its writing and direction.

Wing Commander is like TV's Battlestar Galactica played out through the eyes of fighter pilots, only with more World War II dogfights.

That might possibly the most infuriatingly bad opening line I've ever read.

Good find, Iceman. That one seems to have slipped under the radar. WC4 certainly had a lot going for it, and in many ways it's the flashiest/fanciest game in the series. Th write-up acknowledges the series as much as any game, so that works.

It's kind of neat that they acknowledge the DVD version--that's really an example of our having popularized something that otherwise would have fallen entirely by the wayside. (I remember it was some years between that version's obscure bundled release and anyone knowing about it, really...)

Back