1/72 Arrow

Klavs81

Rear Admiral
Hey guys, Rylex has very graciously and bravely trusted me to produce a 1/72 Armada Style F-27 Arrow for him. The model will have lighted engines and cockpit, a full set of custom decals, as well as a complete cockpit. As this is Rylex's private commission, I won't discuss our costs, but he has very generously allowed me to post progress here at the CIC.

Right now the model is just shy of 10 inches and there are more detailed parts coming along.

I wish I could get this thing injection molded in a kit, but the costs for that are in the thousands of dollars. Anybody interested in a real WingStarter? :)

Today I've been sanding down the already pretty smooth exterior and prepping the model for its base coat. Also I'm still in the process of designing the cockpit insert so that it can hopefully provide both red cockpit lighting, and back lighting to the (Arena era) instrument panel.

Cheers,

-Klavs

Attachments

• IMG_3025.jpg
    IMG_3025.jpg
    638 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_3024.jpg
    IMG_3024.jpg
    832.1 KB · Views: 183
Thank you again Klavs!

I really can't wait to get my hands on this baby!
Boy, I've been dreaming of this for a long time. For me the Armada Arrow is the prettiest ship out there. And the fastest one up to now (afaik) ... if you don't count the Wasp booster ;)

That all leads me to the question: When will WC Armada finally be available on GOG ... it is time for some furball hunting! :p

Rylex

obviously it is not made of sandstone, but rather a polymer. the result after the painting will look much smoother, compared to the painted sandstones, I guess

obviously it is not made of sandstone, but rather a polymer. the result after the painting will look much smoother, compared to the painted sandstones, I guess

Yes, it is NOT sandstone because I wanted a more stable and durable material and I am very happy that Klavs really spends this much time for this great project!
Especially the lighted model was his own idea and more than I've ever hoped and dreamed of!

:eek:

I can't wait to see my favorite light fighter (well it's actually the WC3 Arrow not the Armada one but still) all lit up and painted. I need to find more disposable income!

Finished the design work on the cockpit and ordered the rest of the parts today. Should be assembled soon!

The stumpy feet won't be visible.

Attachments

• Pilot.png
    Pilot.png
    158.3 KB · Views: 147
And because it is a special Rylex-version for me, the flight-stick is not centered as it was in "normal" Wing Commander Armada Arrows.
We talked about that and because I always have my flight-joystick on the right side of the desk, I said: "It's good! I want it that way!" :D

Just if anybody here is wondering why the flight-stick is not centered.

And once again the detail is very high even though the parts are quite small. Excellent work!!
Thanks!

Rylex

Now we've got all the pieces! Wiring things today, and the engines light up great so far! Really happy with the little pilot, too. You should be able to see things better once I get things painted with a base coat, right now it just looks like wonder woman's jet!

Attachments

• IMG_3174.JPG
    IMG_3174.JPG
    800.6 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_3165.JPG
    IMG_3165.JPG
    686.5 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_3160.JPG
    IMG_3160.JPG
    597.8 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_3162.jpg
    IMG_3162.jpg
    304.4 KB · Views: 134
That's excellent news for me again! Can't wait to get my hands on my baby :)
The pilot's detail is awesome, even though the size is very small... and the blue light rocks! :cool:

Thank you once again, for doing all this for me!

Looking good Klavs!

Arrow is surprisingly big at 1:72 scale. You said 10 inches right? So about 25cm? That's about the same length as my Hellcat then.

Well, I'm sorry to say it's not looking great right now, the 3d printed plastic material is extremely prone to paint peeling, and now that I've photographed it in daylight I'm seeing a lot more surface imperfections. So the paint is unfortunately going to be stripped off again until I figure something else out. Really frustrated with this right now! Grr.

Attachments

• A.jpg
    A.jpg
    639.6 KB · Views: 154
I can see some surface textures under the blue and behind the cockpit, is that where you're seeing imperfections?

This looks like a fun project, I'm sure it will look awesome when you're done.

Base paint is finally sticking, and I've got the cockpit details complete!

Attachments

• 08-12-13.jpg
    08-12-13.jpg
    672.6 KB · Views: 145
Back