Major Payne has released a couple of shots featuring new ships that will be included in the next version of Wing Commander Invasion. The Banshee light fighter will be the primary workhorse of the new Border Worlds faction. There will also be a limited role for the Steltek in the game, and the Steltek vessel below is his interpretation of a carrier or cruiser. While the future updates continue to be built, Star Wars: Empire at War owners can check out version 2.5 of the mod here.
I had originally all but given up trying to fix the Galactic Conquest test map that had been made as the AI refused to move its butt from its home planet and start spreading out. As it turned out, I had simply forgot to alter the amount for each planet's capture from the "60" that was assigned. A quick editing and retesting and the AI now moves, so the mod is back on. It'll be a while before there's a new release, but at least I can get back to working on the damn thing now and add in the features I had originally planned.
- Special structure to provide income in additional GC content. The reason for this is simply because the GC's rely on ground based income streams provided from ground based structures.
- Additional space base skirmish maps. Now these will probably be fairly basic as map making isn't my strong point.
- Additional space props. These are being added more as a means to give some eye candy than anything.
- Additional map based support structures. I'll be looking over what the WC universe has to offer in the way of structures and seeing what I can put together to reflect these.
- Additional Galactic Conquest scenarios. Although these will be playable in any order I'll be trying to tailor them so that the player will get some sort of feeling they are playing a "story" style if played in order.
- I'll be looking at the Border Worlds for this. That means new structures, ships and planets for this groups. They won't be directly playable, and will act in place of the original stock pirate faction.
Once this is complete I'll be making a v3.0 Beta Edition. If no bugs are reported (or there's some minor editings and suggestions which are feasible to do), then a small handful of minor additional content will be done to mark the v3.0 Gold Edition (as in final version) and I'll consider the mod as finished.
Maverick Gets Pantsed
LOAF is still scratching the surface of his 30 boxes of Academy archival materials, but when he does get a chance to dig in, he uncovers some real gems! Take for, example, Cadet Blair's sorely underrated bottom half. Everyone is all into torsos, but you can't have one without the other! (2018-02-24)
Mark Hamill Premiering New Documentary at SXSW
It's a good week for Mark Hamill fans! In addition to getting his Hollywood star, Mr. Hamill will be returning to the birthplace of Wing Commander next month to help debut a new documentary, The Director and the Jedi, about his work with Rian Johnson on the new Star Wars film. (2018-02-23)
Mark Hamill To Receive Hollywood Star
Thanks in part to his recent success resuming the role of Luke Skywalker in Star Wars, actor Mark Hamill will soon be getting a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. The ceremony is set for March 8, 2018 at 11:30 am. I'd encourage Wing Commander fans nearby to go check it out, but the crowd will likely be substantial. (2018-02-22)
Banshee Kicks Off Flat Universe's Border Worlds Faction
The first Border Worlds ship for Wing Commander Flat Universe has been announced! The Banshee now joins the battle alongside four Confed and four Kilrathi craft. It's designed to be particularly effective against slower bombers such as the Broadsword or Grikath. (2018-02-21)
New 3D Prints Highlight Gemini Sector Hotness
Sonnich Johannesen has shown off some large scale and beautifully detailed 3D prints from Wing Commander Privateer. The Centurion and (not pictured) Galaxy are from Astrofossil and the Tarsus model was designed by DJFX, who posted some gorgeous pics of his own a while back. The size of each of these is impressive, and Sonnich has posted some neat pictures of these ships coming together on the printer. (2018-02-20)