Hey, $C. Iím LOAF. Glad to meetcha.
Content coming soon!
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What does LOAF stand for and/or mean?
I'm pretty sure the answer is in the wild at this point, but I'm still not going to tell you. My real callsign is "Bandit," but I've been LOAF on the internet since the first days of Origin's Official Wing Commander Chat Zone in 1995. Back then, guessing what it could possibly mean was a constant source of fun for everyone. There was less interesting stuff on the internet in those days, you see.
I hear there's stuff named after you in the Wing Commander canon and you want to brag about it! Is that true?
Yes, I do want to brag about it!
- The "Lesnick System" is on the Wing Commander Universe Map (Argent Sector, Shelus Quadrant.) The rest of the old WCHS staff also have systems in the same area, including my good friend Chris Reid and my less good non-friend Dan Hardwicke. The Miller system is named after ace, whose wrote under the fake byline "Nigel Miller" at the time. Let this be a lesson: always share your accurate personal details on the internet.
- "Loaf" is one of the Tiger Claw pilots in Peter Telep's Pilgrim Truth. For much of the book I'm suspected of beating Freddie Prinze Jr. with a pipe in a hate crime, but it eventually turns out I didn't. So, it's not really true to life.
- "Bandit" appears in a Joan's Fighting Ships writeup that mentions great Rapier II pilots in Star*Soldier (page seven). Yes, I wrote this one in myself. Like you wouldn't.
What happened to the LOAF's Merry Guild site?!
I woke up one morning and decided it was time to retire LOAF's Merry Guild and turn /loaf/ into a simple page to brag about how great I am. LMG was a thirteen year old Usenet joke for a group of people who mostly don't exist anymore, and in recent years I've become increasingly creeped out as people have continued to e-mail me asking to join. But as I am a consumate archivist, I've placed a copy here. So really I did absolutely nothing at all. Also, here is the alt.games.wing-commander thread that created the Guild in the first place, which is still pretty funny.
Can I look through all your old junk for some reason?
Yes! Here's where I shoved everything that was in /loaf/ before this:
- /funstuff - Random images. Despite the name, much of it is not fun for anyone but Trelane and LOAF.
- /photos - Here are a bunch of pictures I took back in the unseemly depths of the early-to-mid 2000s.
- /projects - This is mostly stuff I sent to EA for some reason or another over the years. I probably shouldn't be sharing it, but no one will ever read this.
- /wcreference - Various Wing Commander images, likely originally put here while I was yelling at someone at a message board.