Your first Wing Commander experience?

My first contact with Wing Commander was with a French magazine called A.C.E. In there I saw this article about an upcoming spacesim that would be like Star Wars or Battlestar Galactica. It’s name, at that time, was “Wing Leader” (In the WC3 making off you can see a poster with this name in a wall). When I saw the screenshots and read about all the great things the game had I simply knew that it would be a great game and I wanted it. When the game came out I had an Amiga 500 and although much search I couldn’t find it in my country. Later a friend of mine bought a 286 SX, I think, and managed to acquire a pirated copy it with a copy of the manual. It was great, we played it hours and hours.
I don’t remember if it was a few years or some months later but then I bought my 386 SX and weeks later I saw in a store this magnificent box with the name “Wing Commander 2” in it. Well, I bought it. The story goes on and on until the present day.
Finally, so that you guys know, I was one of the apparently many that bought a CD-ROM drive on purpose to play WC3, which had quite long loading times on my very slow 486 DLC machine (I know the specs for the game were quite higher, but trust me it worked fine enough to play it to the end, and loving it).

Wing Commander forever, my friends. :)

My first experience would be about in 1990/91 when I played WC2 for the first time. I was introduced to the game by a friend of the family. He had his computer connected to a stero surround sound. Man it sound great with the sound and the talking kittys. I then remember my dad getting a computer it was a 486 SX ??MHZ with about 80MG hard drive and I used that computer til 1997 while all my friends got 486dx4 and pentium 1. Hahaha it didnt bother me because I was able to play wc2 later wc1, xwing series, tie fighter series, xcom 1, bloodnet and warcraft 1. ah those were the days. Then I got a pentium 90mhz with a 650mg harddrive and I pretty much played every game I could get from the Command and Conquer series Warcraft 1&2+xp, XCOM1,2,3, all of the Wing Commander games at the time and everything else I could grab hold.
Now I have a P4 2.0GHZ with a 40GIG harddrive playing some of the latest games and some of the oldies that can run on my computer......ah so many memories

Kilrah said:
Wing Commander forever, my friends. :)

Hey, that's what the next Wing Commander should be called...."Wing Commander Forever. " Kind of like the Duke Nukem Forever game that has been in the works for about thirty years.

ChrisReid said:
If you don't like it, it must not exist!

I thought Privateer 2 was a darned good game. The only thing that I did not like about it was the "rubber ball" physics. I hated bouncing off other ships. It kind of ruined the suspension of disbelief. Other than that, I thought Privateer 2 had it all. It had the great cinematic flair of WC (British actors and actresses - I thought that was cool), it had a great new engine that looked cooler than Wing 4. Sure, it was not set in the WC universe, but truthfully I did not even notice.

The year was 1990. I was just a wee lad of 9 when my uncle from Texas brought up this black box with the words "Wing Commander" on it.

I installed the game and played about 4 hours straight. I was hooked from that point on.

Wing Commander 1 on the Amiga A500+
It had 1Mb of RAM and the game was on three 3 1/2inch disks that were double-density (700Kb).

I remember when Commodore launched the A1200 (the nearest equiv to a PC in terms of speed and power) and I saw a demo of WC1 running on it. I wet myself throughly on seeing the fluidity of the game.

I saw a full page ad for Wing Commander II, in PC Gamer? I had skipped WC1 for some reason, maybe it was my EGA-less Tandy p.o.s., or maybe screenshots of the cramped cockpits. But one look at the WC2 ad had me running out buying the game for full retail soon after release. I remember playing it nonstop that entire weekend, although it ran sluggishly at times on my 386SX-20 with a rinky dink onboard S3 chip. I got stuck hard on the bomb the Kilrathi outpost mission, with the midi music turning dire and Doomsday whining hiliariously. Over and over. I finally kept a broadsword in one piece long enough to squeak through the mission. There are precious few moments in the last three decades of PC gaming that match the exhiliration and frustration of going through those missions, all hopped up on caffeine and sugar in the dead of a weekend night.

Anyways, happily spent the next ten years letting each new Chris Robert's release force me into periodic hardware upgrades. It was with a heavy heart that I bought a Radeon card, for there was no new Wing Commander saga ready and waiting to slow it down.

NuclearPenguins said:
I too am glad I got to start from the beginning of it all. The anticipation of waiting for the next game was downright evil! I remember counting the days until my Premier Edition of WC3 was to arrive in the mail.

Sadly it arrived the same night a dance at my school. I actually called my gf at the time and told her I wasn't feeling well and couldn't go so I could install it. Ahh.. such is youth when one would choose a videogame over nookie... but then again is was WC3 afterall, THE biggestest thing to hit the video game industry EVER!

.... I take it this relationship didn't turn out too succesfully?

My first WC game was privateer. We played it on our schools computers like crazy (boarding school). And yes, I bought my first peace of hardware, my first joystick then.

Back