Your favourite WC ships?

Erm, the search button is right there, on the first page... and we have 2 or 3 such threads EVERY month, and everybody says pretty much the same thing everytime...

If someone has JUST joined the WC community, and whants to express his or her opinion on a certain subject matter (say... favorite ships), what would be the most apropriate way to do so?

The way I see it there are two possibilites:
They can either revive an old thread and tick-off an administrator,
OR they can start a new thread on the subject matter- and still tick-off an administrator.

I guess I'm asking- is there a way to this without getting griped? or should new-commers just keep quiet on certain subject matters...

Marc said:
I guess I'm asking- is there a way to this without getting griped? or should new-commers just keep quiet on certain subject matters...

The general netiquette is:

1. Lurk for awhile and get a feel for the community. (I won't say how long I was waiting in the shadows before pouncing on all of you unsuspecting souls, but it was a little while. :D)

2. Join in a few current discussions so that you become a known quantity to the community.

3a. Search for an old thread and revive it, thus only partly ticking off an admin. (i.e. They'll be annoyed, but they'll quietly live with it.)

3b. Create a new thread that references the old thread, thus showing that you've done your research and are a Smart Boy/Girl(TM) worthy of acceptance in the community.

It is rather a catch 22, is it not? Maybe the Admins could let the new folks know what they would prefer on this matter.

AKAImBatman said:
3a. Search for an old thread and revive it, thus only partly ticking off an admin. (i.e. They'll be annoyed, but they'll quietly live with it.)
Revived threads are closed, unless it's been a relatively short time since the last post and the thread necromancer had something interesting to say. Not "me too."

Sphynx said:
It is rather a catch 22, is it not? Maybe the Admins could let the new folks know what they would prefer on this matter.
People who don't think before bringing back an old thread are unlikely to read the rules or the forum announcements. Just use your common sense.

Kris, In regards to this particular situation where a subject is brought up time and again (favorite ship, for instance), the best then would be not talking about it? Because even though it is kinda annoying to find a new one of these every two weeks, I understand that newcomers are probably dying to talk about it... wouldn't it be nice to have an official sitcky "post you favourite ships here" thread? then the kids could ramble about how much they like the Hermes shuttles without annoying people or breaking any rules.

Just a suggestion, I'm well aware that mod and admin decisions are final and not to be questioned.

Edfilho,
That sounds like a very good compromise to me. That way, the new folks get an opportunity to voice all of the things that the old-timers voiced long ago, and no one feels picked on or left out. You are a genius! I second the motion. Of course, ultimately the decision is up to the mods and the admins, but I would encourage them to really take Edfilho's suggestion seriously.

There's new people joining this site every week. I think it makes the site seem much more alive by posting new threads even if they're repeats. It's not near as fun to bring up an old thread from 4 years ago and just read it and realize that someone back then said the same ship was their favorite for the same reasons you were going to say. Even this post is something that was probably posted by someone else a few years ago.

Back