Your favourite Privateer - II ship?

Deacan

Commodore
Okay, I don't know if there is a thread like this one, but I just ask: whats your favourite vessel from P II?

My choice - the civil duress. The design is just timeless, I simply love the "wingdesign" (okay, in space it's quite stupid, but on an atmospheric flight it may makes sense). A small but nimble beast with teeth...

Deacan

...Well, probably because the Skulls were just no fun. IMO, the Skull is quite likely the least fun enemy you could ever fight in any WC game. They posed very little threat, but were incredibly hard and time-consuming to kill - which was a terrible combination, considering that in P2, staying too long at one navpoint resulted in a bunch of random enemies appearing. It's been several years since I played P2, but I distinctly recall several occasions where a bunch of Skulls forced me to stay at one navpoint for half an hour and... well, die. Towards the end of my very short P2 career, I would simply load the last savegame whenever I encountered Skulls - I'd much rather fly through a dozen navpoints for the third time in a row than waste my time dealing with them.

Did you ever use proximity missiles? I had trouble hitting them with most things, but with proximity missiles they went down without too much work.

My favorite ship was the Freij II. I also had a Danrik for quite a while.

ChrisReid said:
Did you ever use proximity missiles? I had trouble hitting them with most things, but with proximity missiles they went down without too much work.

Yeah, 'cause the proxies doesn't require a direct hit on the enemy, they explodes near the target...

IMO the entire shipline was something refreshing new - with great designs, especialy the freighters and the light fighters...

Deacan

Mine was the Freij II, also. I liked how one of the fastest ships didn't have to appear all sleek and aerodynamic.

I also really liked the Karnenan. I remember the order of ships I'd usually get after the Straith. It'd go the Shaman, Karnenan, Drakkar, Heretic, then the Freij II.

Quarto said:
...Well, probably because the Skulls were just no fun. IMO, the Skull is quite likely the least fun enemy you could ever fight in any WC game. They posed very little threat, but were incredibly hard and time-consuming to kill - which was a terrible combination, considering that in P2, staying too long at one navpoint resulted in a bunch of random enemies appearing. It's been several years since I played P2, but I distinctly recall several occasions where a bunch of Skulls forced me to stay at one navpoint for half an hour and... well, die. Towards the end of my very short P2 career, I would simply load the last savegame whenever I encountered Skulls - I'd much rather fly through a dozen navpoints for the third time in a row than waste my time dealing with them.

Yeah, Skulls were the absolute worst! Extremely agile and extremely hard to hit. I hated flying into them for the exact reason that you listed above...get stuck fighting forever.

My favorite ship was the Freij II. I also had a Danrik for quite a while.

Yeah proximity missiles I quickly found were quite effective against the skulls. Unfortunately I rarely had enough spare money to spend on missiles for random enemy encounters until much later in the game. The best ship I remember from the game was probably the Freij II. I did have the Danrik but in my opinion there was very little difference between the two. I think the most memorable ship for me though was the Heretic. I remember it outfitted with Mass Ion Cannons for most of the plotline.

Hello,

Shipgate said:
Mine was the Freij II, also. I liked how one of the fastest ships didn't have to appear all sleek and aerodynamic.

I also really liked the Karnenan. I remember the order of ships I'd usually get after the Straith. It'd go the Shaman, Karnenan, Drakkar, Heretic, then the Freij II.

I was using with the same ships. I just didn't take the Karnenan.

I played a lot of Priv2, but can't remember much about the individual ships. I do remember there were a lot of them, tought. The Faldari was cool.

I really liked the Shaman in the early game, it is dirt cheap and it is just the BEST light /medium fighter. In the late game, well, there is no match to the Freij 2.

Another interessing part may be the reuse of some of the modells later for starlancer...

The crusader looks quite similar to the drakkar... for instance.

Deacan

I've never played Privateer 2, but the Shaman looks pretty spiffy. Also, it it just me or does the Faldari bear a striking resemblance to the Banshee?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea, the Faldari is basically the Banshee without the drop in the middle, but i Still like the Confed fighters the best in both Privateers, sucks that I cant fly a Stilleto...

-Scorp- said:
sucks that I cant fly a Stilleto...

On this forum mostly condemned WC Privateer remake "Privateer Remake" allows you to fly that ship. Google it out if you don't know anything about it.

Back