Your Favorite "Kilrathi War" Wing Commander game?

Dundradal

Frog Blast the Vent Core!
NuAngel said:
Is that what happens if you keep drinking???? I can't BELIEVE I missed out on that!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

Nu

It definately reinforces the point to not drink and fly...
 

Dougly

Spaceman
Originally Posted by ChrisReid
So it's not really plausible for Hobbes to think defecting would really prevent innocents from being killed. On the contrary, he was smart enough to know that the opposite was more likely. So we get into this awkward position by creating our own theories that ignore and contradict the official timeline whenever we feel like it. If everyone did this, we'd have a crazy mish-mash of ideas and it'd be difficult to discuss things on common ground.

Yeah... You do have a point there.

As unhappy as I am with the "official" explanation, I do realize we need to have one. And that's something I'm willing to accept.
 

RogueBanshee

Rear Admiral
Mine was WC2 which was the first WC game I played. My only complaint about the story is where were the Kilrathi stealth fighters during the time between the Tiger's Claw ambush and the game?
 

Lt.Death100

Spaceman
RogueBanshee said:
Mine was WC2 which was the first WC game I played. My only complaint about the story is where were the Kilrathi stealth fighters during the time between the Tiger's Claw ambush and the game?
It's explained shortly after the Tiger's Claw is destroyed. Most of the research on these fighters was destroyed on Ghorah Khar.
 

powell99

Aviation Junkie
For me it was WC3. I remember being in the 2nd grade and trying to draw the cockpits of the various figthers and telling stories to my friends about how awsome it was.
 

AD

Finder of things, Doer of stuff
WC1 was neat, I remember playing it at my cousins house when the game was first released. But it was much later that I actually played through a wc game properly for the first time. That was wc2 shortly before wc3 came out. I was hooked and haven't looked back since. While I have a lot of fond memories of wc3 and 4 it's still wc2 that is the gold standard for me.
 

RATM

Spaceman
My facourite of all WC would have to be WC3. I remember a PC gamer issue with a few pages about Wing3. I was obsessed with it. The graphics were amazing. I`d end up drawing the ships everywhere. I believe that I have not played any other game more than I`ve played Wing3. Although FF7 has been competing against it...
 

MadMat

Spaceman
WC4 is my all time favorite: better scenario than many sci-fi movies since decades!

But for the Kilrathi war, WC3's my favorite. It is the first WC game I played and first love remain stronger ... But I especillay liked the atmosphere of defeat that is plaguing the story up to the end, with Rollins keeping being pessimistic (a much more serious way than Doosmday, which remains funny despite his darkest feelings). And when failing, I really enjoyed the vain Sol campaign and the sacrifice of the "Victory".
I'd never played any other WC games before, but I knew the story and characters of WC2 by heart when I bought WC3 (I'd been waiting more than a decade before watching Spirit's death:D ), so I appreciate to see them all played by such great actors as Mark Hamill, Tom Wilson, John Rhys-Davis, Malcolm McDowell, Jason Bernard, ...

The only thing I didn't like in WC3 was the Kilrathi puppets, they were better in 2D pictures. So I kept killing them ... ;)
 
Hands down...

WC2, then WC3, then WC1

WC1 was awesome on the SNES, but I know it wasn't the greatest game...

WC2 was a HUGE leap forward on the storyline and interface

WC3 was more evolutionary in terms of the story line but HUGE interms of the quality of video/audio/feel...

No WC games were really "disappointing" to me other than Privateer 2, and that's not WC, IMNSHO.
 

Aries

Vice Admiral
I'd have to say that WC3 is my favorite. It was the first one I played, other than Privateer.
 

Shipgate

Rear Admiral
That's difficult to answer. I have really great memories with each game. I suppose I'll have to say WC1. Mostly for its music and atmosphere.

WC2 I never actually beat. And when I play it now on KS I still can't fly with a keyboard, so trying to do it with the mouse is extremely difficult.

WC3 is my second all time favorite. I'll never forget walking into Egghead Software when it just came out and they were playing the intro on a loop on all their monitors. I just thought it was crazy at the time what I was seeing. I couldn't believe that that was the actual game.

On second thought, I'd say WC3 is my all time favorite "Kilrathi War" game.
 

Falcon988

Commodore
You know I bet if we took a poll, WC3 seems to be the favorite - narrowly. I had no idea it was so popular among wingnuts... well, obviously I knew it was popular but I didn't realize that so many people preferred WC3 over its prequels. That says a lot about it. Just imagine the disaster it could have been if the actors hadn't taken it seriously just because it was a game.
 

Dundradal

Frog Blast the Vent Core!
Having 2 of the novels set in the WC2 era also adds a lot to the atmosphere of the games...it's one period we know in very good detail...
 

Dran

Nothing is written here
WC2 is my fav. It was the first one I played, prob around age 16. I had the game for a few months and did not play it. There was a compition down the street at this mall where they were giving away stuff for the person who got the farthest in the game. I died in the first mission crashing into astroids. Later my dad got a better computer. And I sat down to play the game. My first thoughts were man Origin really does create worlds. Since then I played every WC, except Privateer 2. Privateer 1 I started but never finished. I loved WC2 because of the story. If you messed up, you were always thought to be a traitor. In the end you find out who that traitor is and finish 'em. I loved the expansions aswell. The morning star was an awsome ship, but my fav was the rapier. The only I did not like about this ship was the lack of the IIS. WC3, is my next fav. I was pretty hurt my Hobbes betrail, but I had the computer version as well, and thought he just couldn't stand to see his homeworld blown up. I know the real reason due to this site. But there is a part of me who just couldn't see Hobbes as some undercover spy. At first in WC2 I did not like him, but he proved himself to be a great pilot, and won me over. WC1 is great for the promotions, and that it was the 1st. With out there would not have been others. WC4 was also real cool, and I thought in someways it was better than WC3, but in other ways I was sad to see the War end. Years later from time to time I'll boot up my computer, blow the dust off my joystick and play a mission or two. Outside of this scope WCP was also real cool, though I was pissed when they killed off Blair. Since that time no other sequels have come out, and I search for news for the next WC game. I have tried in vain to find replacements, but none to me have the same feel as when you first take out the WC discs, look through the Jane's manual reading the history of how the war started and get pulled back into the wonderful world of Wing Commander. Almost the same time has past since I first played WC, and the memories of it are cemented in my mind. No other game has touched me in that way, before or since...
 

Dougly

Spaceman
Originally posted by Dran
In the end you find out who that traitor is and finish 'em.

I just finished replaying WC2, thanks to DosBox... And I have to say, that felt like one of the least rewarding parts of the game.

Jazz, for someone who was supposed to be such a hot shot pilot, just did not put up much of a fight. Indeed, I'm not so sure he ever even hit me.

It's been such a long time since I last played the games that I can't remember... But I'm hoping he's a little more frisky when I get to take him down for good in SO2.
 

Falcon988

Commodore
Eh, Thrakhath is not so hot either. They're better than the normal AI pilots but the fact of the matter is that if you have enough flight experience with WC2 you'll have no trouble beating -any- of them. I am embarassed to admit though that Thrakhath gives me a much harder time in WC3. Last playthrough I eventually resorted to sneaking up on him in cloak and blowing him apart before he could even start taunting.
 

Falcon988

Commodore
Dran said:
WC2 is my fav. It was the first one I played, prob around age 16. I had the game for a few months and did not play it. There was a compition down the street at this mall where they were giving away stuff for the person who got the farthest in the game. I died in the first mission crashing into astroids. Later my dad got a better computer. And I sat down to play the game. My first thoughts were man Origin really does create worlds. Since then I played every WC, except Privateer 2. Privateer 1 I started but never finished. I loved WC2 because of the story. If you messed up, you were always thought to be a traitor. In the end you find out who that traitor is and finish 'em. I loved the expansions aswell. The morning star was an awsome ship, but my fav was the rapier. The only I did not like about this ship was the lack of the IIS. WC3, is my next fav. I was pretty hurt my Hobbes betrail, but I had the computer version as well, and thought he just couldn't stand to see his homeworld blown up. I know the real reason due to this site. But there is a part of me who just couldn't see Hobbes as some undercover spy. At first in WC2 I did not like him, but he proved himself to be a great pilot, and won me over. WC1 is great for the promotions, and that it was the 1st. With out there would not have been others. WC4 was also real cool, and I thought in someways it was better than WC3, but in other ways I was sad to see the War end. Years later from time to time I'll boot up my computer, blow the dust off my joystick and play a mission or two. Outside of this scope WCP was also real cool, though I was pissed when they killed off Blair. Since that time no other sequels have come out, and I search for news for the next WC game. I have tried in vain to find replacements, but none to me have the same feel as when you first take out the WC discs, look through the Jane's manual reading the history of how the war started and get pulled back into the wonderful world of Wing Commander. Almost the same time has past since I first played WC, and the memories of it are cemented in my mind. No other game has touched me in that way, before or since...



Yea I can't think of any other game which has even touched Wing Commander's atmosphere. I think that the closest in Freespace 2, which in my opinion is -the- masterpiece of the space genre... but in terms of atmosphere it is far inferior to Wing Commander. WC is the only game I've played that truly makes -you- feel like you've enlisted in the Navy and joined the war effort and that all the pilots you fly with are your shipmates and friends. No other game has replicated it. In Freespace when your wingmen die it doesn't matter at all, in StarLancer you may -vaguely- recognize the dead pilot from the ITAC, but in Wing Commander often times you personally feel like the KIA pilot was your friend. I was completely blown away by how genuinely sad I was when Flint died on my wing during my last run through of WC3 for instance.
 
Falcon,

Yep, I know what you mean...

I think that "emotional equity," that Wing Commander's main series has always generated, is one of the game's best "hooks" to keep you immersed in the storyline. When your wingmen are in trouble, it makes you WANT to help...when a big bad enemy cruiser is threatening your carrier, it makes you WANT to go kick @$$!

As ChrisReid and the other guys have tried to point out... There's significant leverage left in the Wing Commander Universe, and the way the storyline totally immerses the player is one of the reasons for that strength.

:) It IS what turns Wing Commander from 40 single player "patrol and blow stuff up" missions into a grueling, hair raising campaign that brings you back for more! ;-)
 

Lt.Death100

Spaceman
Falcon988 said:
Eh, Thrakhath is not so hot either. They're better than the normal AI pilots but the fact of the matter is that if you have enough flight experience with WC2 you'll have no trouble beating -any- of them. I am embarassed to admit though that Thrakhath gives me a much harder time in WC3. Last playthrough I eventually resorted to sneaking up on him in cloak and blowing him apart before he could even start taunting.
Thrakhath was easier in WC3 for me so I bet it just depends on flying style.
 
Top