XBox Port

U

Unregistered

This games looks Great, and Privateer has always been one of my favorite Games. Is there any discussion of a Port to XBox. I understand the legal issues with using the MS Xbox SDK, but there is that open source compiler sort of working... Is this possible? I think it would be great to have an xbox port. I'll be watching the normal underground channels for it just in case someone used the MS stuff to port it. Thanks.

the platform has a very limited ammt of ram... so it'd probably be swapping like all heck after a while...
on the other hand...if it is a POSIX system and can run gcc it can definitely build vega strike.... and the rest is just data...
if it's a MS environment it needs to have OpenGL support to make VS work... personally I own no Xbox...

hellcatv said:
the platform has a very limited ammt of ram... so it'd probably be swapping like all heck after a while...
on the other hand...if it is a POSIX system and can run gcc it can definitely build vega strike.... and the rest is just data...
if it's a MS environment it needs to have OpenGL support to make VS work... personally I own no Xbox...

Thats true it only has 64 megs of ram, but hey, other game developers seem to make some pretty impressive games with it.

well Vega Strike was optimized with "gigs of ram" in mind...only recently did they notice that turning on texture compression reduced the requirement to around 256 megs of ram...

also double support is required... I'm not sure all console architectures have doubles---though I guess only Vega Strike needs the doubles since privateer happens on such a small stage

well people with programmable joysticks probably figured out 6 or 7 of the important keys...we could do awesome key combos for docking
shift-left-dock

How is this game designed for gigs and gigs worth of memory. Its a nice effort and I'm glad for the game, but lets be honest. The graphics suck. We played these graphics 10 years ago on video cards with 2 megs of ram and a machine with 16 megs of ram. I just don't see how this sub-par graphics engine could require gigs and gigs of ram.

well they weren't high rez 3d models with 2048x2048 textures.
they didn't simulate multiple systems at once
they didn't track flightgroups across the whole milky way galaxy (each quadrant)

but yes texture compression on 2048x2048 textures helps a lot...also the default setting limits textures to 1024x1024

Unregistered said:
We played these graphics 10 years ago on video cards with 2 megs of ram and a machine with 16 megs of ram.

I haven't had time to install any of the Vega Strike derivatives for at least a year, and I still know this is an insane claim.

Unregistered said:
How is this game designed for gigs and gigs worth of memory. Its a nice effort and I'm glad for the game, but lets be honest. The graphics suck. We played these graphics 10 years ago on video cards with 2 megs of ram and a machine with 16 megs of ram. I just don't see how this sub-par graphics engine could require gigs and gigs of ram.

have you seen the screenshots on the front page of wcnews?

Unregistered said:
What are you talking about? This game runs in a full 3D engine. It does not use anything like the orignal's graphics (which were sprite-based and software accelerated).

Take a look at some screenshots:
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/gallery/vegastrike_mod

Ok, maybe it doesn't use any of the original graphics. But do you guys have your heads stuck in the sand? Wake up. The graphics suck. Does anyone here actually believe these are "modern" graphics, or at least up to par with anything 3-4 years old?

Unregistered said:
Ok, maybe it doesn't use any of the original graphics. But do you guys have your heads stuck in the sand? Wake up. The graphics suck. Does anyone here actually believe these are "modern" graphics, or at least up to par with anything 3-4 years old?

For a free mod the graphic is damn good!

But I´m sure you can show us *your* game with kick-ass graphics...

No? Thought so...

Well... did you ever play the original? This remake looks like DooM3 compared to it. Also, it does look quite good, and I love that they kept the original graphics for the planet and stuff. I do miss the lightspeed transition and landing transitions but I'm sure they are working on that. Over all I must say this game is quite good and a faithful remake.

Ok. You guys are all dillusional. Its great the game is redone and I love that. That doesn't mean we all have to think this is revolutionary graphics.
I'll send you a some OpenGL programming I did that has much better graphics, to the guy who said send us your game that has kick-ass graphics.

Thats fine. You guys all think you have the best thing in the world here, and thats the excuse for a terrible engine that needs "gigs and gigs" of ram. I'm sure this engine's graphics are so much better than Halo2's graphics because Halo 2 only runs in 64 megs or ram and this engine needs "gigs and gigs" of ram.

Don't get me wrong. I really really like the idea of playing Privateer, and I normally wouldn't be complaining here, but you guys are fooling yourself. For some reason some of you think that you have a game with good graphics here. Well, maybe you should check out a modern game that doesn't need "gigs and gigs" of ram and see the quality.

The graphics certainly surpase a game like freespace 2 IMO, and are actually quite good for a mod. I mean, there are commercial games out with worse graphics.

I can run this game with 16x anti ailising on my 6800 ultra, which I cant do for, say, half life 2. This makes the graphics considerably better for me.

And the engine was originally designed for vegastrike, a game with huge amounts of data, realistic solar system sizes, and a dynamic universe. It wasnt designed specifically for the privateer remake in the least.

Micro$oft XBox bunk

Gee, Halo2 and all these other games were developed to be sold for a profit using properity librarys from Microshaft and video card venders and millions of dollars. This was programed by people in their free time. They are not paid. They are not selling it. They just want to enjoy a modern version of Privateer. Which I think they did an excellent job. So the graphics are not state of the art but they are close. I do not think that any 10 year old game could do a newtonian flight model with 3 attackers. A simple shoot-em-up game can use all the cpu on pretty graphics but it still plays like a video game and not a simulator. (Side sliding using momentum to attack. I think that is cool and takes some thinking and skill not just a fast trigger finger.) This is my 2 cents. I have seen some awesome models that people have made for this remake and think it is some of the best graphics work I have seen. The game industry does not make games like Privateer anymore because people just want shoot-em-ups and could care less about flight models, fractions, backstory, trading to build up your ship, and a good plot line. Xbox is just a mechanism for M$ to bleed more money out of kids and adult game players. Windoz 2K in a pretty box.

Back