Wowee...

Dix

Spaceman
1) I have to say, this thing rocks like an ox. (african slang, means it's good, m'kay?)

2)ok, I'm a wimp, and sulk at having to replay successfully completed missions 5 times over to try and save my wingmen :) (yep, i've got the difficulty turned down, but i recall a certain mission where i killed five talons and a tarsus in a row - read extreme luck :p - and still have a litany of my pilots ejecting left right and center.. this sorta happens even if there's three of us and two pirates and i don't kill both pirates with my first shots).
Is there any way to stop the game keeping track of my fighter losses, thereby making it more like the orginal WC when heroes could turn the tide? (yes blair, i'm looking at you :p )

If i have offended with this, feel free to cover me in catnip and post me to the kilrathi ;)

No, in the campaign the fighter losses are almost always tracked.... You can´t change that. What you could do to minimize your losses is to find in your nav map which wingman is being chased by the most enemy ships, and fly to aid him...

However, chances are high that you´ll always have 2-3 bogeys on your own back, so it won´t be easy to defend them and yourself. Just fly the best that you can and don´t waste much time chasing an enemy. Fast kills in the beginning of the mission is what determines your success in many Standoff missions.

Dix said:
2)ok, I'm a wimp, and sulk at having to replay successfully completed missions 5 times over to try and save my wingmen :) (yep, i've got the difficulty turned down, but i recall a certain mission where i killed five talons and a tarsus in a row - read extreme luck :p - and still have a litany of my pilots ejecting left right and center.. this sorta happens even if there's three of us and two pirates and i don't kill both pirates with my first shots).
I know what you're talking about, even if I kill the enemy at lightning speed, I still often lose a wingman. But Starkey is right; if you keep track of the enemy with your nav map, you can aid your wingmen better.
It's also best you practise using the map now, because I think you will definitely need it in future episodes for shooting down torpedoes fast enough.
remember that mission in secret ops where you had to defend a Relay station (I think) ? Until I started using the nav map, I never located the torps in time to shoot them down.

Dix said:

There are really only two missions so far where I loose wingmen left and right. One is the assault of the Pirate base (where it doesn't matter how many you loose), the other is on the loosing path of E1.
But yeah - I worry what happens by the time of E5. Will I fly alone in a Stiletto?

Yeah, the wingmen almost never kill a kilrathi on any of the missions, but they are very useful as decoys

Keep in mind, you will get fresh fighters after almost every episode. There are one or two exceptions to this (meaning: if the Firekka is cut off from the rest of the world, as sometimes happens on the losing path, you won't get fresh fighters, because the little elves are lazy buggers), but generally you don't have to worry too much about the fighter numbers.

As I understand it, the only ships that will never be replenished are the Crossbows, since you get them as a special event. Rapiers and Sabres on the other hand will be restocked at a couple of points, and by that time the fighting is so thick that you won't be flying the Stilettos and Gladii any more.

The wingmen do seem to help me out considerably. Maybe I'm just comparing them to your standard SO fare which I am used to.

I got excited in that one "Destroy the Fralthi" simulator mission when a concentration of flak and turret fire forced me to abandon my torpedo run, only to hear a huge BOOM and Spoons yelling "We did it! We killed it!" I almost wanted to scream with joy right along with Spoons.

As far as the actual campaign itself, as long as I keep an eye on them they do a great job shooting down cats that would otherwise bug me. They are especially good for the really far away enemies when I am pretty badly messed up and don't want to risk being shot down.

Back