WLAN problems

Mekt-Hakkikt

Mpanty's bane
Hi!

I didn't dare to post this in the Tech Support since it has nothing to do with WC.

I have a WLAN router (Sinus 1054 DSL) and connect my notebook to it via an USB WLAN-stick (Netgear). On thursday, suddenly, I couldn't connect to our network. It is shown in the network environment, with an excellent signal strength and yet it does not connect.

I get the little white/yellow bubble in the lower right corner that tells me that a connection to the preferred network could not be established and that it'll try again but without success.

That problem occured very suddenly, one minute I could still connect, the other I couldn't any more.

A new WLAN has been established in the house I live, I think we now have about 7 here. I tried changing the channel (I tried them all) but it didn't help.

My girlfriend can connect with her MAC without any problems.

Both my notebook and the USB WLAN stick are about 4 years old. The stick was twisted some times and had some blackouts due to lack of electricity but its light blinks as it should blink when not connected to a network.

Any hint would be appreciated. Also, I back translated from German what my Windows XP tells me, I hope it still is clear.

Thanks in advance.

Well, it's not your router (since your girlfriend's computer can connect successfully).

It's probably either your USB adapter, or your laptop. If you have bumped the adapter while it's plugged into your laptop, it's possible that there's hardware damage. Or the WLAN card could've died or been damaged.

Suggestions:
1) Reinstall the driver for the adapter. It's possible it got corrupted. Download a fresh driver and try again.
2) Try the adapter in a different USB port
3) Try a different adapter.

Do all these tests right beside the router to eliminate any signal strength issues (it's also possible that maybe the antenna broke off...).

I'm assuming you've tried restarting the router, but what wasn't mentioned here is that you should also try reseting the router to it's default settings.

Where I live we have three routers (Two wireless) extending coverage over our entire property (which includes two home-run businesses). There's something like 18 or 20 computers plugged into our network at any one time, and another dozen or so roving laptops that may or may not be on at any giving time.

I know that by the end of the day our routers need to be shut off and restarted to new users join, presumably because of the heavy amount of incoming and outgoing computers during the day.

Hey guys!

Sorry I didn't answer immediately but with the WLAN problems I wasn't as much online as before.

Anyway, a combination of restarting the router (again), using a different USB port and switching from automatical to manual connection did the trick and all is well since today.

Thank you very much for your help!

Back