Wing Commander Toolbox

centaurianmudpig

Rear Admiral
I had a go at the Live Viewer for WC1 (KS), using the WCDX patch, and it doesn't find the game running. I can't run WC1 without the patch, so assuming not compatible with WCDX?

AD

Finder of things, Doer of stuff
Doing some research into the Armada files and so far the tool works great for cockpit stuff.. The parts I'm having trouble with are the VGA files within the gameflow directory. The files seem to be the exact same format as the WC2 *VGA files... it's primitive video format with all the animation frames saved as individual files. The problem I'm running into is that there's not a specific function in the Armada command tool for VGA files. You can make the WC2 extract function extract all the images but there's zero option (that I see) to tell it to use the armada palette files so you end up with funky colored frames.

It's interesting how it's built though with specific key frames for the background and then the rest with transparency overlayed for the actual animated parts. (Interestingly HCl at one point had a proof of concept where you could convert actual FMV to this format with some success). Anyway, I either need a way to apply a new palette to these and I'm not smart enough to figure it out or it just needs the function added to the armada command tool with the option to specify a palette when extracting from the VGA file
intro-Block005-Image000.png
intro-Block004-Image000.png
intro-Block023-Image001.png

AD

Finder of things, Doer of stuff
Doing some research into the Armada files and so far the tool works great for cockpit stuff.. The parts I'm having trouble with are the VGA files within the gameflow directory. The files seem to be the exact same format as the WC2 *VGA files... it's primitive video format with all the animation frames saved as individual files. The problem I'm running into is that there's not a specific function in the Armada command tool for VGA files. You can make the WC2 extract function extract all the images but there's zero option (that I see) to tell it to use the armada palette files so you end up with funky colored frames.

It's interesting how it's built though with specific key frames for the background and then the rest with transparency overlayed for the actual animated parts. (Interestingly HCl at one point had a proof of concept where you could convert actual FMV to this format with some success). Anyway, I either need a way to apply a new palette to these and I'm not smart enough to figure it out or it just needs the function added to the armada command tool with the option to specify a palette when extracting from the VGA file
View attachment 12557View attachment 12558 View attachment 12556
Just a quick follow up. I had managed to not realized I had copied the WC2 palette file to the folder with the VGA files... with that in mind I did some experimenting and I'm able to rename the Armada palette files to "WC2PAL" and the extractor will use that, but it still looks funky either way without a proper mapping of the Armada palette files. Anyway, the issue still remains that the order of the WC2 palette files doesn't really match whatever Armada does.