Wing Commander Themed Battleship?

Lt.Overload

Rear Admiral
Has anyone ever seen or heard of the game Battleship, where you randomly launch missiles in hopes of hitting the enemy battleships? I thought it would be cool of a Wing Commander themed one existed, does it?

I imagine it's a fairly well-known game, but I can't see much room to add WC stuff other than naming the ship classes after WC equivalents.

Plus, it's not necessarily random - there should be a strategy to the co-ordinates at which you're firing.

Well, I can imagine trying to draw your ships to resemble WC ones - but then it'll take long time and lesson/lecture/meeting will be over before you start playing...

I tried to make a Wing Commander board game as a teenager. It didn't turn out so well, and I never got the chance to playtest it.

I imagine it's a fairly well-known game, but I can't see much room to add WC stuff other than naming the ship classes after WC equivalents.
Plus, it's not necessarily random - there should be a strategy to the co-ordinates at which you're firing.

Yeah but basically, all "strategy" in the game is psychological, in the placement of the ships and shooting them down. e.g. you could think its best for ships to be parked at the edge, but do it once and the next time your opponent might check there first...

Apart from "psychological warfare" like that it basically is random... You have no way of knowing where the ships are without hitting them... Maybe you could count as "strategy" to try to sink each ship completely after you hit it once, not because it could sail away, as the ships can't move, but because no two ships can be placed completely adjancent, so sinking a ship eliminates more possible squares.

So, maybe there is a little strategy involved, but nothing is too fancy, even a 6-year-old could explore all "tactical depth" easily. And between two players with the same "skill" it comes down to being random again.

Well, I can imagine trying to draw your ships to resemble WC ones - but then it'll take long time and lesson/lecture/meeting will be over before you start playing...
I think the OP talked about a computer implementation of the Battleships game. In that case you don't have to worry about the ships being hard to draw, the computer does it in no time ;)

think the OP talked about a computer implementation of the Battleships game. In that case you don't have to worry about the ships being hard to draw, the computer does it in no time

Yeah, but if somebody took time to make some vivid Battleships WC models, this might actually be a really fun idea.

Always thought this great, underrated and repeatedly discontinued tabletop game had all the makings for an amazing Wing Commander adaptation...

BFG+Box.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battlefleet_Gothic

I'm not going to argue about this indefinitely, but while there certainly is an element of randomness as to which co-ordinates one might fire against, a player would be foolish to launch attacks only two squares apart when the two-square ship (the submarine?) has already been destroyed.

I'm not going to argue about this indefinitely, but while there certainly is an element of randomness as to which co-ordinates one might fire against, a player would be foolish to launch attacks only two squares apart when the two-square ship (the submarine?) has already been destroyed.

I think it's a gunboat of some sort, pretty sure the submarine is three like the destroyer, then there is four for the battleship and five for the carrier?

That sounds about right.

Yeah, I think that's it for the classic Battleship, but I believe there are some (licensed video games only?) variations with funky things likes 4x2 aircraft carriers and maybe even a 1 square submarine. And then they also have special weapons like a 2x2 broadside bombardment or X-shaped (5 shots in a 9 shot grid) strike and more.

I figure someone could probably fan project up a very simple Battleship clone with WC artwork and a few of these funky bonus rules and it'd be a fun multiplayer thing to do once in a while.

If a turn ends with a Brazilian coastal sub not adjacent to a land square then it will sink.

It's very frustrating.

Back