wing commander saga early review/thoughts

I just completed the game. 9/10
Thank you. I needed that.

I agree with many of the complaints. Coms were useless, excalibur was too powerful compared to other fighters, and aces that are scripted impossible even when I rapidly toggle full energy-guns and keep shooting and dumbfiring their cloaked arses as they flee. Still. I think for a professional game this was well done and better than most weve seen in the past decade. For a fan game. 10/10. I liked the flow of the game. How your on top then your running to save your rear, parry reposte. Some of the event scripting wasnt quite on the mark, but to be frank I think it was as good as most of the WC's scripted mission changes and better than almost any action game I played in the past few years.

It helped remind me why I loved this genre so much. Give me a ship and the open stars any night....
My biggest complaint... now most other games IM trying out just S@#$ in comparison. They think flashy graphics are needed when simple voice acting and a script can be enough to tell an actual story. I hope Roberts remembers this and makes sure after the flight mechanics are hammered out, that the story spares no expense. We want to feel like we contributed to a universe and WC saga, I feel, did just that.

Man I forgot how much I missed my joystick. Now I dont want to put it away ... wait... nevermind. Back into its box until the next sim worthy of it comes out.

@Jdawg Actually that's one of the biggest complaints people have that I agree with. Some missions, especially later ones, are just too long IMO.
Yes, they feel epic, but for me missions over one hour stop to be fun at some point. Some people like that, most people don't. It makes me stop playing instead of retrying if I fail. (I finished Saga, and more than once, and I love it, but that's one thing that bothers me. Some missions should just be cut in half and they would be great.)

@Astro commander Glad you liked it!

@Jdawg Actually that's one of the biggest complaints people have that I agree with. Some missions, especially later ones, are just too long IMO.
Yes, they feel epic, but for me missions over one hour stop to be fun at some point. Some people like that, most people don't. It makes me stop playing instead of retrying if I fail. (I finished Saga, and more than once, and I love it, but that's one thing that bothers me. Some missions should just be cut in half and they would be great.)

@Astro commander Glad you liked it!

agreed and like I said to many false endings for some mission, for example on one mission I came back with 8/9 missiles left bc I kept expecting to see more waves of enemies or nav pts lol. dont get me wrong I still love the game, I just think it could have used some editing and slightly better pacing. Im a husband and a father and the last mission I played clocked in at about 50 mins which I think is just too long, but I am going to beat the game bc I do love it

Last edited:
I just completed the game. 9/10
Thank you. I needed that.

I agree with many of the complaints. Coms were useless, excalibur was too powerful compared to other fighters, and aces that are scripted impossible even when I rapidly toggle full energy-guns and keep shooting and dumbfiring their cloaked arses as they flee. Still. I think for a professional game this was well done and better than most weve seen in the past decade. For a fan game. 10/10. I liked the flow of the game. How your on top then your running to save your rear, parry reposte. Some of the event scripting wasnt quite on the mark, but to be frank I think it was as good as most of the WC's scripted mission changes and better than almost any action game I played in the past few years.

It helped remind me why I loved this genre so much. Give me a ship and the open stars any night....
My biggest complaint... now most other games IM trying out just S@#$ in comparison. They think flashy graphics are needed when simple voice acting and a script can be enough to tell an actual story. I hope Roberts remembers this and makes sure after the flight mechanics are hammered out, that the story spares no expense. We want to feel like we contributed to a universe and WC saga, I feel, did just that.

Man I forgot how much I missed my joystick. Now I dont want to put it away ... wait... nevermind. Back into its box until the next sim worthy of it comes out.

also agreed about the aces. plus I think they tease too much with deathfang, Im on my third encounter with him and yet he gets away again, my fav ace so far has been stalker. I like that mission as a whole too.

Dislike amongst some here has nothing to do with the difficulty. Saga suffers in a lot of different ways. I played through this entire mod when it came out. While there are some moments, the majority of my experience wasn't the greatest.

A thread that goes into some of that can be found here https://www.wcnews.com/chatzone/threads/qs-anger-management-thread-chock-full-of-spoilers.26077/

There was also some underhanded bullying from the Saga team toward other fanmods, behind the scenes. It was why I walked off the voiceacting stuff early on in its development cycle and why some people hold a grudge against it. Perhaps that shouldn't color the opinion of the end result but I can't look past that kinda crap.

Last edited by a moderator:
just completed three more missions. I loved loved loved the stuff with panther and hawk, then seeing the TCS com officer brought back even more memories lol. I loved him in WC3 but he will always be Hans from the movie The Burbs to me. here is a clip you can see him at 1:17

why some people hold a grudge against it. Perhaps that shouldn't color the opinion of the end result but I can't look past that kinda crap.

Dude, you gotta let that hatred go man. From an organizational behavior perspective, I wouldn't say "your side" was exactly in the right either (there were individuals not liking several members of my former team on just nationality and race alone), but that was a long time ago. I don't think I'm a saint either and I'm the first to admit it, but I think I grew and evolved in the 8 years I was away from here.

It's unhealthy to keep a grudge this long, on people you've never met. Time shouldn't stand still around you, bud.

Jdawg, glad you like the game.

Cheers,

Last edited:
Dude, you gotta let that hatred go man. From an organizational behavior perspective, I wouldn't say "your side" was exactly in the right either (there were individuals not liking several members of my former team on just nationality and race alone), but that was a long time ago. I don't think I'm a saint either and I'm the first to admit it, but I think I grew and evolved in the 8 years I was away from here.

It's unhealthy to keep a grudge this long, on people you've never met. Time shouldn't stand still around you, bud.

Jdawg, glad you like the game.

Cheers,
ya I was not around then and Id like to just keep this thread about the game thanks

just beat the game whoa what a ride I would like to thank my wife for understanding the need to beat this. here is just some initial thoughts a full review is upcoming soon.

1. great ending and loved the fact that it gave a glimpse into the life of the pilots after the war. although I find it hard to believe that sandman never got promoted again after captain. I mean at the end of the game I had 9 ribbons, 2 bronze stars and two silver stars and right at a 1000 kills lol.

2. deathfangs death was so anti climatic it hurt, I mean we face him 3 times and I dont even get to kill him, what more is I love that mission as a whole especially the part where your attacked from above and below.

3. final mission was very long but surprisingly very easy. then again I found both end missions in wc3 and wc4 to be easy too especially wc4.

4. my fav characters in the game in no order are.... Comm officer Sweeny, assassin, ninja, greywolf, and maniac jr oops I mean avataar lol.

5. I loved the cameos of hawk and panther and the comm officer radio ted rollins

6. loved going to a nav pt after that and hearing "chalk up another for the maniac" awesome sauce

7. loved the design of the kalrathi jets on freja sp

8. feel like I deserved a medal or ribbon on the mission where the bradshaw is destroyed bc I did not lose one cap ship including the bradshaw they decided to self destruct it when it still had 10 percent hull left. I deserve something for that long ass mission lol

So your reply is "I don't like that you keep pointing this out, even though I admit this is what happened"?

Lovely.

As to my nursing a grudge - I have tough nipples. I'll be at this for as long as Saga is around.

No, I was being diplomatic. It's what leaders and managers do, no matter what their previous background is, or what views and perspectives you have on life.

If you really hold a grudge against me and rest of my former team, that's really too bad. If that's the case, I truly pity you.

Back