Wing COmmander Prophecy Movies Skipping!

=> I don´t think that you can play WCP in 3dfx with a Geforce2, when you turn off the graphic acceleration you can play only in software mode because.....you're turning off the acceleration !

Except according to the game specs... "software mode" is expecting GLide software drivers (v2.61 or higher) for (at the time) legacy cards.

=>The only truly 3dfx compatible card is the one that have a 3dfx chip !

True! and if nVidia hadn't bought 3Dfx, I would have been able to buy a video card with the chip onboard... but they don't make 3Dfx chips anymore.
All the 3Dfx engineers work for nVidia now. nVidia said it would "meld" the 3Dfx technology into their nVidia designs, but I don't think that's happening.

So I'm back where I started... can't use the Glide software, can't emulate a 3Dfx... and apparently... can't use DirectX protocol without enabling accelerated functions, which cause the damned movie to skip!

Been there... done that... no joy.

Made the disasterous choice of following another thread suggestion to install the Win9X WDM drivers for Live!

Now I can't even run Media Player or any other form of Video.

I've stripped the machine and I'm in the process of reinstalling a ton of drivers in an effort to get functionality out of any video application.

Have decided to swap sound cards with my son (he's too young to play WC anyways). Gave him the Live! and I stole his AWE64 (seeing as it worked in his system).

I'll let you all know what I discover after that...

Alright....

Now I know why I'm still a Cadet.

Hard as it was for me to figure the Live! card instead of the nVidia... extracting the Live! card and 'demoting' it to the AWE 64 made all the difference. (and I didn't have to turn of any acceleration Video or Sound)

So, to anybody else who runs into this problem...

It's the Sound Card!!!!

and unless you like extensive work inside the Registry. DO NOT install the WDM drivers for the Live! card...

There is no 'uninstall' ability and it doesn't get cleaned up even after you 'remove' the hardware device. You pretty much have to wade through the Registry and delete each individual reference... but be careful about entries that use WDM for other devices.

and to Ghost and Saturnyne... Thanks! I was wrong.

Wraith

Back