Wing Commander Overlooked?

Dralthi5

Spaceman
I was watching the History of Video Games on the History Channel's Modern Marvels last night and I was shocked when there was not one mention of Wing Commander!
eek.gif

I mean, maybe I'm wrong here, but I was under the impression that WC was pretty revolutionary as far as PC games go. After all, pretty much every review for a space sim mentions Wing Commander these days.

There was a big section of the program that talked about how storylines in games are getting larger and more elaborate. And they showed Tomb Raider, for crissakes! WC4 had probably the most elaborate plot of any game out there, right?

Oh, but there was a huge section about Ultima. I don't know why I mention that, but I have anyway, so take that as you will...

Anyway, I don't really expect any responses here, but I just felt that Wing Commander was overlooked and sometimes I just don't think WC gets the recognition it deserves. But maybe that's just me...
wink2.gif

------------------
If I'm locked on, there's no such thing as evasive action!

Last edited by a moderator:
They show not even one Part of Wing Commander? WC1 was in 1992 the reason for buying a PC! WC2 was the reason for a Soundblaster! WC3 was the reason for a P90!
OK, Tomb Raider is a good game, but the slogan "Interactive Movie" must go to Wing Commander!

Check Six,
Felidae!

Well... I don't know about WC4 having a really elaborate storyline, as it just seems to have a lot of story (which continues the whole "betrayal" theme that's been prevalent in Wing Commander since #2), but it does have a lot of good things about its storyline.

Maybe they can only fit so much into a program at once. Who knows? Maybe that had mentioned WC, but decided it wasn't important to the program.

------------------

§

As far as games go, WC4 is pretty elaborate.

------------------

Shows like that tend only to show most popular games ever and while WC is probably the most popular of those, space sims in general are not near as popular as Myst, Doom, Tomb Raider, Civ, or Sims. I figure they were going for games that everyone has heard of AND played.

------------------
There is no God but myself. No destiny but what I deem for me. I walk my path and no others, for I am free.

http://www.ntr.net/~vondoom

Well, the reason for WC being overlooked on the history chanell, is because it's still 600 years away. Christ people, think before you post!
smile.gif

Well, it may have been overlooked on History Chanell, but the latest issue of Computer Games has a small mention of WC IV: "Yes, it could have been made better with a bit more attention to film basics and story and less to hiring name actors and building fancy sets, but it remains a musthave for anyone interested in state of the art gaming experience." - that sound really good to me. Oh, and according to them, Wing Commander was the number 9 best selling game in '93. And WC3 was number 20 in '94. They may not have sold in numbers like StarCraft or Myst, which are still on top selling lists, but it was very popular as far as all computer games go. It's a serious mistake on the part of History Chanel to overlook one of the most revolutionary series in history of space sim genre, and computer gaming in general. If they're making a program about history of gaming, they should include all genres, not just the most popular ones.

[This message has been edited by Earthworm (edited October 10, 2000).]

They should but outside the gaming media industry, only popularity counts. Heck, even Drew Carey had as its intro last week everyone speaking Sim-speak. Very funny. But if it had been something WC most people wouldn't have got it simply because games like the Sims sell to almost everyone. And the media at large only really notice games of massive popularity that sell several millions of copies. So until something changes, don't expect the History Channel or any other major media to cover great games like WC or Fallout or System Shock 2 simply because they are below their silly mass popularity radar.

------------------
There is no God but myself. No destiny but what I deem for me. I walk my path and no others, for I am free.

http://www.ntr.net/~vondoom

The last time I saw something about WC on TV (besides the show or anything related to the movie) was a behind-the-scenes thingie on WC3 on, I think, the Sci-Fi Channel about five or six years ago. I can remember a giant Cat in a blue suit standing before a blue screen, so I know what it was.
smile.gif

Also, I could've sworn Harland Williams was playing Wing Commander 3 in the movie Rocketman.
wink2.gif

------------------

I remember a couple years back there was a show on about television bloopers. They included some scenes from B5 and yes, you guessed it
smile.gif
, WC3
cool.gif

It might've been that, but at least I'm not the only one that thought he was playing a WC game in that movie.
wink2.gif

------------------

Well, I don't really remember what makes me think that it was WC, but if so I'm pretty sure it would be WC4, since it has much darker space than WC3 does, and IIRC the screen on his comp was almost black except for the hud.

Earthworm said:
Well, I don't really remember what makes me think that it was WC, but if so I'm pretty sure it would be WC4, since it has much darker space than WC3 does, and IIRC the screen on his comp was almost black except for the hud.

it looked like he was blowing up cat ships..maybe
it was the never released WC4 addon...where you battle rogue kilrathi fleets
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Kain (edited October 11, 2000).]

What you should do is write to the History Channel (search for it on interent) and offer your opinions to them. Tell them about Wing Commander and many of the other extremely programmed games out there.

I don't mean to be offensive or anything, but one thing you must remember is that the United States (as compared to other countries in the world) lacks a great deal in its education in quality of acting, grammar, math, and science. Many people aren't as educated in those studies -- a survey at a high school was taken and 60% of the students stated that they did not value them because, as they put it, "they suck cuz they're boring". This may be one of the reasons why the History Channel decided not to air such extreme games because they have alot of extreme acting, grammar, math, and physics programmed into the game -- many people would not want to and could not relate to viewing on the History Channel such games like WC3.

Back