Wing Commander Music Coming To Swedish Orchestra In January! (December 11, 2016)

AD

Finder of things, Doer of stuff
With all the attention George Oldziey's WC3, 4 & Prophecy re-orchestrations have been getting over the last year, another Wing Commander music project has flown under the radar. The Wing Commander 1 suite we previously reported on has been making the rounds in Europe. If you are a lucky Wing Commander fan living in, or willing to travel to, Sweden you can catch it next as part of the "We Come in Peace" sci-fi themed concert series that will be playing in G??teborg, Sweden. Performed by the Swedish national orchestra, you will have three dates to choose from: Jan 12th, 13th, and 14th. You can check out the program details and book your ticket here. The Wing Commander suite will be playing alongside some of the greats of sci-fi such as Star Trek and Star Wars, and by an orchestra who, according to the website, has a goal of "becoming one of the ten foremost orchestras in the world by 2020."

We Come in Peace crosses all media borders. Instead of focussing on music from either films or games, we set our laser sight on science fiction as a genre, regardless of whether it involves the dream of intelligent life on faraway planets, epic space wars, or horrendous, galactic monsters. The music comes from the best-loved, space-themed films, TV series and games ??? Star Wars, E.T., Aliens, Star Trek, Halo and even more. The concert is the result of a lifelong dream of film connoisseur and science fiction lover Orvar S??fstr??m, known from Swedish Television and the game music concert Score.

Arranger Andreas Hedlund has said about the suite:

In the case of Wing Commander, I wanted to build up the actual drama of the game, so we start with the theme song, move to the scramble music, then the space battle theme (two variants) and finally the medal ceremony.

The Turku Philharmonic Orchestra played "We Come in Peace" at three concerts in Finland in 2016 in the city of Tirku. The concert played in January, February, and November 30th. In 2014, the Wing Commander suite was also part of another concert series "SCORE" that focused more on game music and was played previously by the Swedish Radio Symphony orchestra. An updated version of SCORE that doesn't include the Wing Commander suite was recorded and broadcast in extremely good quality on Swedish TV. Let's hope "We Come in Peace" gets the same treatment.

--
Original update published on December 11, 2016

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure about lucky but I'm certainly pennyless now :p

I will try and do a little write up, as you said with any luck it wil be recorded and broadcasted on tv again so you can see it.

Last edited:
Here is a youtube playlist that I created from the programme.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDSnb0e-nTMEMTWD4ub6ITS5SZkH2LB6F

There is an issue with piece 12 - Tiomkin - Plasma No. 1 from The Thing from Another World, I couldn't find just the individual music, only the entire album, in the description you can find a lising and select the individual piece.

Also I am gussing during the performances the Star Trek pieces will blend into one another.

In many cases I have just taken the first thing that pops up on my search, if I get a litttle time I will try to edit the list with some better versions.

Everything on the play list works for me in Sweden but I'm not sure how it will work for others in different countries.

Last edited:
Back