Wing Commander missiles

Mad Hatter

Spaceman
This question just popped into my mind:
In WC2:SO2 you have a nuclear missle that can blow up multiple targets. It seemed quite efective at the time, why not use it in the other games?

The Mace Tactical Nuclear Missile is added to your inventory if you fly the 'capture the carrier' mission in Speradon.

------------------
Long live the Confederation,
Ben "Bandit" Lesnick
( loaf@wcnews.com - 302228)

The Wing Commander CIC

"You go, LOAF! Get some!" -JPG

Bombardez les Ptitard!

That`s funny, I don`t recall running into it.
Of course, if I`d run into a mace I probably wouldn`t remember much of anything, would I now.
smile.gif

Gee, aren`t I a barrel of laughs today.
biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by Mad Hatter (edited February 23, 2000).]

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats right the Mace Missle was a Nuclear missile, I thought that missile was cool

------------------
I fight on the side of peace and honor, just like Blair

If you shot the first mace missile too close to you, you'd find yourself rapidly incinerated.

I haven't used the mace yet in WC4 but you should have it in the loadout selection after you disable the carrier in the Speradon series.

Personally rather than having a great bomb, I'd sooner finish the game with someone who has a great...umm nevermind.

The problem with the WC4 Mace, though, is that you can only mount it on a torpedo hardpoint; it's too big for regular missile hardpoints. Granted, the WC2 showing didn't exactly have a wide range of mounting platforms, but then the explosion wasn't so lame then, either.
smile.gif

------------------
SubCrid Death
Official Net.Nazi, LOAF's Merry Guild

Yeah, but the WC2 Mace wasn't that good for killing fighters, meanwhile with the WC4 Mace I can kill two fighters, even as strong as the Dragon. And since in WC2 you can only have one Mace, and you can't chose where you won't to put it, I would call being able to put the Mace in the Torp hardpoints an advantage.

OT, did anyone else manage to get some enemy fighters to crash into each other? I had some Dralthis and Vaktohs in WC3, and some Dragons colide with each other because of my recles flying style. It realy looks cool.
cool.gif

------------------
A good soldier is not the one who die for his country, it's the one who makes his enemy die for his.
Gen. Patton

Some Drakhri collided in WC 2 (appropriately enough, during our attack on Heaven's Gate). Saved my life, actually
smile.gif
. But I don't think it had anything to do with my flying style; just pure luck, is all.

I had a lot of ships crash into each other in WC2, especially mine
biggrin.gif
. (just kidding)
Almost every mission with a very dense enemy presence had at least one space accident. (nice term, space accident, no?)
when you`re chasing a fighter, mainly the more heavy ones, his brothers to the squadron tend to follow you quite closly and the result is very amusing sometimes.
smile.gif

I guess this is what happens when you don`t use the 21, 22, 23 method, no?
wink.gif

Oh, you know, counting 21, 22, 23 when you`re driving, to check that the distance between you and the car in front of you is far enough.

Crashes in WC2 were common for me-once every system, it's tough when you don't have time to look left or right.

Knowing how to ram well helps you avoid fatal damage-but you have to know where the ship is and if you don't see it coming...

------------------
There's only one thing more accurate than incoming fire-friendly fire

For me, crashes weren't that common, unless I was flying a really fast, ultra-manoeuvrable craft (read: the damned Epee). On the other hand, when I was flying the Epee, I died so often and so suddenly, that sometimes I would just sit there and stare at the screen for about fifteen seconds, trying to figure out what the hell happened this time
smile.gif

I never had that problem with the Epee, but on a couple missions in Secret Ops I couldn't figuire out what killed me. I was in a Panther and there were many Mantas and Devil Rays about. Those Cerberus missiles move FAST maybe one of the Proteus Childs cought me with me kilt down.
mad.gif

With those **** repelling shields in WCP and spec ops colissions are meaningless anymore, unless you happen to be in an asteroid belt.
smile.gif
Using bumper-car tactics can be devestating there, especially if you're flying something fairly massive and have the skill to knock someone sideways into a rock. Sometimes missile explosions do the same thing. Not as effective as guns but a lot more fun than missiles and useful if your NRG is low.

Im not sure what could have been hitting you. Taking a look at the stats, you should be able to survive at least one hit from any missile, and all alien guns take a while to kill you. The only time I've been dropped with one shot in SO is when i get two or three childs hitting me at once, or when the gunners in the Cerberus get a little off. Gotta watch out for those big glowing thingies...

My armor was gone from going after a Manta bomber or ten while someone painted a bullseye on my butt for the Devil Rays. When you get hit by the Proteus before it spawns Cerberuses-you've got real problems. Those things can take out a full Vaktoth.

Typical alien tactics call from a light or medium fighter to fly around in no particular direction, occasionally harassing YOU to draw you away from the heavier ships while they then turn around as you're chasing the smaller ship and smack you with missiles and full guns. Naturally we all know that.
wink.gif

My favorite is when the Morays shoot Masers at you blinding you so the Mantas can get behind you and do a full guns and Proteus attack. As long as there is a Manta and a light fighter, odds are it will be behind YOU. If you go after the Mantas, the Morays expend their Medusa and Cerberus missile with combinations of Maser bursts. IF ONLY I could count on a wingman to actually help out, rather than engage the Stingrays...

It's so frustrating to see virtually no assistance from wingmen when you need to quickly kill a capship. One particular mission, Maestro says "we need cover people, don't let us die" five seconds later, Frosty is space dust if he doesn't cover himself.
smile.gif

------------------
There's only one thing more accurate than incoming fire-friendly fire

Back