Wing Commander KS on Vista Problem

Silverhawk

Rear Admiral
Wing commander 1&2 work great However Wing commander 3 does not it randomly freezes in spots making the game unplayable I have tried with and with out compatibility mode any ideas guys

Im afriad I also Have this problem found no fix for it though I just save after every mission and try to play a few before it crashes a fix would be great though

I'm tempted to point out User Account Control again, but am not certain it's such a simple solution as that. If UAC is not disabled, what happens when it is? Any errors in Event Viewer or displayed from the program?

If this is the freeze which happens randomly at the start of videos, I never found a better solution that frequent saves and to turn off the video transitions.

You might try using the command line double buffering switch:

Command-Line Parameters for Wing Commander 3 for Windows 95.
If you are experiencing performance problems or other technical difficulties with Wing Commander 3 for Windows 95, you may want to try using one or more of the available "Command-line" parameters for running the game. Since the game normally runs like any Windows 95 program, you will have to open an MS-DOS Prompt within Windows 95 to execute the command-line parameters. Click on START, on PROGRAMS and then on MS-DOS PROMPT. Change to the Wing Commander 3 directory on your hard drive (by typing CD\PROGRA~1\KILRAT~1\WC3). Type "WC3W " followed by one of the following switches:

Command-Line parameters:
-D This forces the hardware "double-buffering" to turn off. Can be helpful with video-related problems.
-NO_INTERLACE This disables the scanline "skipping" in the Wing Commander 3 movies.

Back