Wing Commander III "When Harry Met Sally" Audio Goof Location?

sgupta

1st Lieutenant
Hey all,

George Oldziey's WC3 Wing Commander Orchestral Music Kickstarter had a really entertaining story about a scene in Wing Commander 3 that has some inadvertent audio in it. See: https://www.kickstarter.com/project...sic-orchestral-recording-project/posts/761078

Apparently, during a scene in Wing Commander 3, you can here his then-e-mail-notification-sound of Meg Ryan faking an orgasm (screaming "yes...yes...yes") from the movie "When Harry Met Sally."

I think it would be fun to find this. I'm thinking from the description of jazz it has to be one of the scenes in the bar/mess area... I browsed the WC3 full movie on YouTube with no concrete luck...thought *maybe* I heard it at 1:13:00 (in the next second or two right at the beginning of the scene), but I now am unsure if that's just background dialogue or something over the intercom...and it doesn't really jive with his description.

Anyone find it?

It's been a long time since I played WC3 (it's up soon...working on WC2 now), but I'm wondering given the different dialogue choices if it's something that plays every time, or only if you make a certain choice (though I'd think they'd reuse the music for both since it's a continuation of jazz either way...or maybe the music was a separate file).

In all my years of playing and replaying wc3, my favourite game of the series, I never once noticed this. Guess I will get looking, then.

On a side note, how cool is George? Always assumed being a composer he'd be strict/disciplined/square...but an orgasm email notification? :D

Yeah - I'm thinking it's got to be pretty subtle... And George's stories are amazing! =) I'm really enjoying hearing about the development. You never really picture people in a successful project like this (as you play it) feeling like fish out of water or being brand new to something integral, like say computer development of music, and his stories really capture how new and exciting this technology was and the challenges (and humor) of making the fantastic game/score we've been treated to. =)

I think it would be fun to find this. I'm thinking from the description of jazz it has to be one of the scenes in the bar/mess area... I browsed the WC3 full movie on YouTube with no concrete luck...thought *maybe* I heard it at 1:13:00 (in the next second or two right at the beginning of the scene), but I now am unsure if that's just background dialogue or something over the intercom...and it doesn't really jive with his description.

It's been a long time since I played WC3 (it's up soon...working on WC2 now), but I'm wondering given the different dialogue choices if it's something that plays every time, or only if you make a certain choice (though I'd think they'd reuse the music for both since it's a continuation of jazz either way...or maybe the music was a separate file).

The music is encoded into the FMV files and not separate. With all the dialogue and background sounds it's pretty hard to make out any of the other sounds clearly. I believe the recording is also mono so that doesn't help either (at least on the PSX version only the intro was in stereo). I quickly went through all the lounge scenes and didn't hear anything but I'd have to sit down and try again when I have more time to concentrate on it. Either way, it's not going to be *that* noticeable if we've already gone nearly 20 years without picking up on it.

True re not that noticeable. I'm kind of surprised George picked up on it after the fact. He should make another pledge goal to find out where that scene is. ^.^

On a side note, how cool is George? Always assumed being a composer he'd be strict/disciplined/square...but an orgasm email notification? :D

Yeah, I can see where that impression might come from, but George is a really diverse guy! In addition to his classical type work, his big thing lately is Latin Jazz. He performs live in Austin! http://oldziey.com/gato6.php

Back