Wing Commander Academy DVD

Stupid question - any way to get one in Canada? The only sellers on Amazon.ca are zShops (no free shipping)...

Stupid question - any way to get one in Canada? The only sellers on Amazon.ca are zShops (no free shipping)...

Amazon.com will send you one but you will still pay exchange and shipping to a tune of 12 extra dollars on a 20 dollar purchase. Ordering from one of the importers on amazon.ca will only run you an extra four dollars in comparison though it's up to you how reliable they are.

UPDATE: I ordered the DVD on the 22 or 23rd and they shipped it right away even though the US street date was the 29th... Today the DVD was waiting for me in the mail. That is pretty much exactly 2 weeks for shipping. I'm pretty happy with that.

Yeah, the big problem is the cheapest Amazon.ca zShow is $17 plus $3.50 for the shipping. But it ships from the US, so $3.50 doesn't go far... last time it happened (oddly for the WC Movie soundtrack), the damn thing took *months* to arrive.

Cheapest Canadian zShop has it for $28 plus $3.50 shipping, bringing it close to the same price as Amazon.com.

At that rate, I think spending the extra buck or two for real Amazon.com is far cheaper than either waiting 2-3 months or paying the same price. zShop returns are iffy.

Yeah, the big problem is the cheapest Amazon.ca zShow is $17 plus $3.50 for the shipping. But it ships from the US, so $3.50 doesn't go far... last time it happened (oddly for the WC Movie soundtrack), the damn thing took *months* to arrive.

Cheapest Canadian zShop has it for $28 plus $3.50 shipping, bringing it close to the same price as Amazon.com.

At that rate, I think spending the extra buck or two for real Amazon.com is far cheaper than either waiting 2-3 months or paying the same price. zShop returns are iffy.

I don't get the difference.. I paid 19 dollars from one of the amazon.ca importers, paid 3.50 shipping, it shipped before the street date, and I had it a week after the US street date. Plus I paid in CAD instead of getting an exchange rate fee on my credit card. If you order from Amazon.com proper it's $22.48US and you will pay up to 12 dollars in shipping and fees. That is way more than a one or two dollar difference. I think some of the importers on Amazon.ca may have unreliable shipping but if you watch the customer reviews you should be able to narrow down which ones are flakey.

Keep in mind that if you order from a zshop that ships from Canada they have to import the disk themselves before they sell and ship to you which can potentially increase shipping times and translates into larger fees. Still there's at least one that ships from ontario, only costs 21 plus the 3.50 shipping.

When I checked it, the US sites were selling it at $17 _ $3.50, which means super slow shipping. The Canadian ones were $28+.

I'm fairly certain they're all reliable, it's just what kind of shipping you get for $3.50 doesn't pay for much these days - first class if you're lucky, media most likely. Plus nasty duties owing maybe since it originates from the US.

That was a pleasant surprise, I went for the cheapest shipping option and it's already arrived here in Japan :)
Very happy with the picture quality.
For anyone worried about region coding I discovered that VLC plays any region DVD straight out of the box these days, which was a nice surprise.

Are you sure, Pedro???
I thought that is a firmware thing, so the CD-ROM drive is the problematic point.

If it is true I will order WCAtv as soon as I can.

some years ago I had one that could only play region 2 DVDs because I changed the region code 5 times. It retained that settings even though I plugged it into another PC. It was a firmware thing and I couldn't find a firmware update to get it working again. That sucked, which is why I am very careful with that now.

I've not imported DVDs in a long time, but a quick google says VLC ignores RPC1 region coding, but not RPC2, so it depends which your drive is as to whether or not it will work out of the box. My DVD drive is just the one that came with my Dell.

All drives are RPC2 these days (region code embedded in drive) - it's a requirement for the "DVD" logo. If you have a drive older than 5 years, it's quite likely to be an RPC1 drive. RPC1 drives are "region free" and region coding is enforced by software. RPC2 drives are region coded in hardware.

RPC1 drives are so rare that Microsoft dropped support for them purely because they didn't have any hardware left to test with.

It's not that big a deal - dvd writers are so cheap (like $20) so even coding them permanently isn't too bad. And the region means nothing when it comes to data DVDs.

Edit: RPC2 drives came about because the DVD Forum got wind of all the "region code resetters" that let you reset the 5 region changes in software, so they made it permanent in hardware.

I'll have a look tonight, but the laptop is only a year old, and the drive was the standard model that came with it. I also have a external blu-ray drive so I'll test it out on that tonight.

My copies arrived yesterday morning, so I will be having a Wing Commnader Marathon tonight!!!

Dispatched 29th May - Arrived 7th June, not a bad turn around. Shipping cost almost as much as the DVD, haha. Still it was worth it :)

Well I tested it with my Blu-ray drive, again it wouldn't play in PowerDVD, but it did in VLC. I'll leave the 'why' to other people. It'd be interesting to hear if other people have the same experience.

My copy of Wing Commander Academy arrived a few days ago and it was a minor disappointment due to the lack of extras like an episode guide that tells us which episodes are on which disk and what they are about. It's almost as if they just took the shows and dumped the unedited material on DVD. That's something you can get on the gray market. Anyone know where I can get an episode guide or would I have to make one. TV.com has episode guides for some shows but the one for Wing Commander Academy has quite a few blank spots

My copy of Wing Commander Academy arrived a few days ago and it was a minor disappointment due to the lack of extras like an episode guide that tells us which episodes are on which disk and what they are about. It's almost as if they just took the shows and dumped the unedited material on DVD. That's something you can get on the gray market. Anyone know where I can get an episode guide or would I have to make one. TV.com has episode guides for some shows but the one for Wing Commander Academy has quite a few blank spots

https://www.wcnews.com/news/2004/03/11/how-to-watch-wing-commander-academy

Wing Commander Academy: Episodic Information

• Episode 1: Red and Blue
    Mark Edens/Michael Edens
    Plot: Blair and Maniac are assigned to the Tiger's Claw for training.

• Episode 2: The Last One Left
    Mark Edens/Michael Edens
    Blair and Maniac encounter a Confed war hero turned renegade.
    Additional: Scary tattoos.

• Episode 3: The Most Delicate Instrument
    Mark Edens/Shari Goodhartz
    Mentally unbalanced from stellar phenomena, four cadets begin to exhibit erratic behavior.
    Additional: Excellent episode, probably best of the series.

• Episode 4: Word of Honor
    Mark Edens/Richard Mueller
    Blair and Grunt crashland on an alien world, but they're not alone...
    Aditional: Grunt has a freaky lingering disability from his days on Repleetah.

• Episode 5: Lords of the Sky
    Mark Edens/Matthew Edens
    Blair and Maniac land on an alien world where the local savages worship the dastardly "Lords of the Sky."

• Episode 6: Chain of Command
    Mark Edens/Brooks Wachtel
    Tolwyn meets an old "friend"- who just happens to outrank him now!

• Episode 7: Expendable
    Mark Edens/Ted Pederson/Francis Moss
    Blair and Payback scout an unstable jump node.

• Episode 8: Recreation
    Mark Edens/Matthew Edens
    The crew of the Claw discovers a mysterious being in suspended animation aboard a derelict space capsule.
    Additional: Guest Star- Michael Dorn

• Episode 9: Walking Wounded
    Mark Edens/Ralph Sanchez
    Maniac scores guard duty on a crippled medical ship.

• Episode 10: On Both Your Houses
    Mark Edens/Shari Goodhartz
    Blair, Maniac, and Archer pursue Kilrathi fighters to a lush tropical planet where things are not as they seem.

• Episode 11: Invisible Enemy
    Mark Edens/Richard Mueller
    The Kilrathi have a new and terrible weapon: the Stealth Fighter.
    Additional: Actually enhances the plot of WC2, instead of destroying it.

• Episode 12: Price of Victory
    Mark Edens/Steve Cuden
    Blair crashes on an ice world, where he meets an unusual Kilrathi- who just happens to have an agenda...
    Additional: Another excellent episode.

• Episode 13: Glory of Sivar
    Mark Edens/Mark Edens/Michael Edens
    Blair and Grunt land on the planet Dolos- and find themselves surrounded by fur!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I tested it with my Blu-ray drive, again it wouldn't play in PowerDVD, but it did in VLC. I'll leave the 'why' to other people. It'd be interesting to hear if other people have the same experience.

PowerDVD likely respects the region code of the drive, while VLC is able to bypass it.

Eh? I thought Chain of Command came after Expendable in terms of storyline?

I agree with LOAF, the quality is excellent,
A few things I saw, that sculpture of the Hellcat type ship in Red and Blue has got Four guns under the nose, not two as I initially thought
On most delicate instrument I could read the reflections of "Danger: Overload" and "System Offline" in the pilots visors, the attention to detail was amazing for a hand drawn cartoon.

Eh? I thought Chain of Command came after Expendable in terms of storyline?

Yes. This is explained in the link in my post. The list itself that I quoted is there because he asked about episode descriptions. It follows the original air date which doesn't follow the timeline or production order. The recomended order for watching the episodes is as follows:

Red & Blue
The Last One Left
The Most Delicate Instrument
Lords of the Sky
Word of Honor
Expendable
Chain of Command
Walking Wounded
Invisible Enemy
Recreation
On Both Your Houses
Price of Victory