Wing commander 2 cutscenes question

Well, nice Idea. If you have any Idea where to get the Wc2 Cutscenses or how to extract them form the original game, tell me. Could need them for my Wing Commander modd for "GalCiv2". :D

I think our biggest hopes are "WCSaga" and of course "WC Pioneer".
Hope Pioneer comes out soon enough to make a big noise to tell the world, that Wing Commander is not dead.
 

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator
WC2 cutscenes can't just be extracted like movie files for later games. They're assembled by the engine, and you'd have to capture them in some way. Nobody has done this yet on a large scale.

Pioneer is still a year or two out at least, and Saga has been in the works for five years already. When they make it out they should be great, but projects like Standoff, Gemini Gold, Flight Commander and HCl's implementation of multiplayer in Armada and Prophecy are telling everyone right now that Wing Commander is alive and well.
 
ChrisReid said:
WC2 cutscenes can't just be extracted like movie files for later games. They're assembled by the engine, and you'd have to capture them in some way. Nobody has done this yet on a large scale.

Pioneer is still a year or two out at least, and Saga has been in the works for five years already. When they make it out they should be great, but projects like Standoff, Gemini Gold, Flight Commander and HCl's implementation of multiplayer in Armada and Prophecy are telling everyone right now that Wing Commander is alive and well.

Just to get me right, I think also the other fanprojects are great. Well, maybe my one sucks, I have visitors to my topic but not much replies, or messages.
Wait the next days I am about to complete the "race-modds".

But to come back to the point: I just think WCSaga and WCPioneer will make the biggest Impact, if you ask me.
 

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator
It's hard to imagine how a Freespace mod, even a great one, will have a bigger impact in the WC community than a great mod for an actual WC game. Pioneer also looks incredible, but again, I don't know how big of an impact it can have compared to adding multiplayer to the two Wing Commander games that were designed with multiplayer in mind but unable to actually play on the internet otherwise. Not to mention that these things are already being implemented, while the other projects are currently style, but not substance.
 

Iceman16

Vice Admiral
For about the last year or so, Ive been learning how to code missions in the Vision engine and have almost gotten the first two missions of wc2 ( the first patrol off of Caernarvon and the first time you save the concordia) done but Im lacking some models unfortunately. I havent had much free time to work on it which is why its progessed so slowly but I hope to have some later on this year. In the meantime I'll be learning to code more things and working on aspects of the mission to make them feel more like wc2 (like Standoff which I love btw, so many models to use! haha).

I wanna make a full remake without any deviations from the original plot or missions (unless technical difficulties interupt) and somehow getting the talking heads in there, maybe with that talking head generator thing that was in the news a while back, I should look into that.

Thanks

Iceman16
 

Howard Day

Random art guy.
ChrisReid said:
It's hard to imagine how a Freespace mod, even a great one, will have a bigger impact in the WC community than a great mod for an actual WC game. Pioneer also looks incredible, but again, I don't know how big of an impact it can have compared to adding multiplayer to the two Wing Commander games that were designed with multiplayer in mind but unable to actually play on the internet otherwise. Not to mention that these things are already being implemented, while the other projects are currently style, but not substance.

Correct. Anything our project does for the WC community is a good ways off - if only to serve as a warning to others... :D Right now though, you've got Standoff, that absolutely crazy-ass multiplayer thing - Hot Damn, by the way - and several other interesting things going on. I think it's important to have things you're excited about - but don't let that make to loose sight of what you already have.
 

t.c.cgi

Vice Admiral
Iceman16 said:
I wanna make a full remake without any deviations from the original plot or missions (unless technical difficulties interupt) and somehow getting the talking heads in there, maybe with that talking head generator thing that was in the news a while back, I should look into that.

And you will run into them when you get to the cloaking fighters.
 

Grey Raven

Spaceman
RE: WC2 Remake

Knight, I, for one, hope you have not given up on your plan to remake WC2. I would love to see a revamped version of it just for nostalgia's sake. I remember it was the first computer game I ever played, next to Defender II, and it would be neat to see a new coat of paint on it.

Also, while you can't capture the actual cutscenes, if you run the game in DOSBox, you can take screen shots of them from within the game. Since the cutscenes are mostly static talking heads, anyway, take one capture for every time the camera changes and you should be able to piece together a working pictorial script.

Best of luck with your project!
 

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator
Actually, DOSBox 0.65 does let you capture the cutscenes (and everything else). I think you hit something like Control+Alt+F5 and it starts creating a movie of what displays in the DOSBox Window. The AVI appears in a \Capture subdirectory.
 

Saturnyne

Vice Admiral
Like I said in a different thread, I'm a sucker for remakes. I'd totally play and endorse it.

I've always wanted to provide my voice to a project like this. That'd be cool.

Good luck, Knight!
 

Gunslinger2

Rear Admiral
Actually, DOSBox 0.65 does let you capture the cutscenes (and everything else). I think you hit something like Control+Alt+F5 and it starts creating a movie of what displays in the DOSBox Window. The AVI appears in a \Capture subdirectory.


That is true. However, I have yet to have success in converting those avi files to any other format. All of the conversion utilities I have used to date have either left out the audio in the resulting file or give an error (or lock up) in the program. It seems there aren't any windows video editing programs that properly support the ZMBV codec. Or, perhaps, the ZMBV codec implementation in DOSBox has a bug.
 

Grey Raven

Spaceman
Actually, DOSBox 0.65 does let you capture the cutscenes (and everything else). I think you hit something like Control+Alt+F5 and it starts creating a movie of what displays in the DOSBox Window. The AVI appears in a \Capture subdirectory.
That's good news. You learn something new everyday.

Gunslinger, you can get the K-Lite codec pack and open AVI files in Windows Movie Maker, and from there you can convert them many other types. I don't know if that would let you import into a game, but it might be a start at least.
 
Top