Wing Loader (KS/WCDX) Loader & Voice Over Mod

Ok I see. Then the answer is yes. It is technically possible to inject translations in real time from the Loader to the game. I haven't tested this but it should be possible in the same way that a game trainer would change the value of how much bullets you have left to give you unlimited ammo. Just instead of a number its a string.
Great!

What character set does the game's built-in text system support? Is it possible to support the East Asian character sets of CJK? Or is it necessary to adopt the method of overlay display on the game display?

Great!

What character set does the game's built-in text system support? Is it possible to support the East Asian character sets of CJK? Or is it necessary to adopt the method of overlay display on the game display?
I honestly have no idea. I haven't done any research on that yet.

Got it. Let's return to the topic of voice. Sorry, I'm not familiar with the segaCD version yet. Does it include more voice clips?

Just can’t wait to see the playable release.

That's awesome thanks!
These voices are under the SEGA CD version.
In acting and in quality :(

Below the Matching between filename and dialogue (not finished yet)

This is awesome!
i have been looking for something like that for quite some time, thanks! they do sound rather muffled though, why is that?
I'v tried Super Wing Commander on Project Phoenix Emulator and sound is clearly better...
Original files are in .aif, with the same problem + speed increase twice.
you can grab here : https://mon-partage.fr/f/tP4UwH9y/

2 ways :
- 3DO aif isn't the 'classic' apple aif
- extraction from project phoenix alter file quality.

(sorry for grammar mistakes, i'm french)

Hey All. Figured I'd give a quick update on this and what's been done in the last few weeks.

- Made a lot of under the hood improvements.

- With all the string compares used for this the engine was using a lot of CPU usage. (Only 2% but still that's a lot considering how basic the app is) So i've created a method that only compares strings when a new value is detected in the memory, this brought cpu usage down to 0.2% so much better.

- Fixed Physics simulation... Not really reliant but the engine does have that feature and I had an annoying glitch where physics and collision would behave differently depending on the frame-rate. I finally corrected that.

- Tested to see if I could inject translations into the dialog. Sorry to say EmuMusicFan but the way that the game works it has each line of dialog in it's own unique section of memory then a function moves it to be converted to an image to be displayed. I cannot read it until after that move which means it is already called to draw before I can replace it. I could get it before then but I need to search and map as many memory blocks as there are lines of dialog in the game and it does seem worth it. Alternatively you can make edits to the dialog via WCMissionEditor so the memory doesn't need to be mapped but I tested this with German and Chinese characters and it caused broken graphics and in some cases crashes so I don't think the game can support other languages.

- Messed around with Super Wing Commander Audio files (Thanks GuybrushSF) and played around with getting them into the game. Was easy enough to swap and I might make an option to toggle between SegaCD and 3DO versions. They are quite low quality and don't sound that great with the background music but I'm gonna keep this in mind as I so forward and see what I can do.

- Completed Enyo, McAuliffe and partially complete of Gateway. Had some issues where if a Wingman is dead during a briefing then the player would say the exact same line. Because the strings would be the same I needed to have a way to tell them apart. For now I simply changed the Wingman's dialog to have an extra period but I'd like to find a flag for if Wingman is alive or not and use that.

That's it for now. Stay save everyone and I'll try to keep you all posted every now and then. Cheers!

- Tested to see if I could inject translations into the dialog. Sorry to say EmuMusicFan but the way that the game works it has each line of dialog in it's own unique section of memory then a function moves it to be converted to an image to be displayed. I cannot read it until after that move which means it is already called to draw before I can replace it. I could get it before then but I need to search and map as many memory blocks as there are lines of dialog in the game and it does seem worth it. Alternatively you can make edits to the dialog via WCMissionEditor so the memory doesn't need to be mapped but I tested this with German and Chinese characters and it caused broken graphics and in some cases crashes so I don't think the game can support other languages.

Thanks! Got it. Please focus on your current project. I might learn to study the solution of overlay text on the game window.

Last edited:
Do you want the Super Wing Commander Macintosh speech files? IIRC those are in RIFF format and are easy as pie to dump as wav. No conversion artifacts either.

Do you want the Super Wing Commander Macintosh speech files? IIRC those are in RIFF format and are easy as pie to dump as wav. No conversion artifacts either.
Thanks. I did grab the mac versions already. They are still a bit lacking compared to the SegaCD version but way better than 3do exports.

Back