WIN XP and Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS

hoovsbin

Spaceman
I just received a fully loaded Alienware PC to replace my aging 2.2 Mhz PC that I still had configured for WIN 98SE. The Pre-Release Privateer Remake v1 ran fine on my WIN 98SE PC with no conflicts.

With Win XP and a Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS soundcard, I'm having troubles with Pre-Release v1, Pre-Release v2, and even v0.9. Conflicts on start-up with my Norton Firewall puts the PC into a hard lock.

When I go to run the game I receive the following message from Norton Internet Security on the Privateer load up screen:
Soundserver.exe is attempting to connect to a DNS server
followed by:
Vegastrike.exe is attempting to connect to a DNS server.

No matter if I say allow or say to block, I get a hardlock on the Privateer Remake load screen, requiring a boot. If I disable the firewall, it works. Is there something I missed here in the software where there is a known conflict with Norton Internet Security (my old PC did not have firewall sofware running).

you need to configure your software to allow connections from your own computer (127.0.0.1) before vega strike starts.

It's only logical to allow any sort of connection from yourself--because if you're already attacking yourself you've been compromized already

Back