Wii!!!

Gliderboy

Spaceman
My friend and I just finished testing out his new Wii. I must say, I was originally turned off by the new control concept. I didn't think they could really pull it off without ruining the fun of video games. After two hours or so of playing Wii sports (the one game that comes included) I must say that I haven't had as much fun playing a video game in a long time. For those of you who didn't get one, I highly recommend running out and finding yourself one of the few remaining boxes. I was wondering if anyone else had managed to procure a Wii and what your thoughts of the system were.

My friend and I just finished testing out his new Wii. I must say, I was originally turned off by the new control concept. I didn't think they could really pull it off without ruining the fun of video games. After two hours or so of playing Wii sports (the one game that comes included) I must say that I haven't had as much fun playing a video game in a long time. For those of you who didn't get one, I highly recommend running out and finding yourself one of the few remaining boxes. I was wondering if anyone else had managed to procure a Wii and what your thoughts of the system were.

I don't think there is any remaining boxes...they sold out...quickly.

This picture features a whole bunch of stuff I'd highly recommend for video gaming Wing Commander fans today:

I mainly used my GameCube to bring games like Donkey Konga/Mario Party/Wario Ware to parties. The Wii should be even better for this. There's already a handful of highly rated party games (Wii Sports, Rayman Rabbids, Monkey Ball), and I can use old Cube ones with it too. The downloadable games are pretty cheap, and the people I play with would get a big kick out of those as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
That goes to show how out-of-touch game reviews are these days. Wii Sports is getting meh reviews all around, but every single (non reviewer) person who's played it loved it.

You don't play Wii Sports expecting the new MGS/Zelda/Gran Turismo. You play it because it's really, really fun.

And really, anyone here still doubts that we're going to get full, stand alone versions of all these games in Wii Sports? Mario Tennis Wii, Mario Golf Wii, Punch Out Wii...

PS: Chris, what model is your HT? It looks a lot like mine... And hey, remember: always use the Wiimote strap, that thin CAN fly! :)

That goes to show how out-of-touch game reviews are these days. Wii Sports is getting meh reviews all around, but every single (non reviewer) person who's played it loved it.

I wouldn't call the average reviews "meh" at all. I tend to agree with GameSpot most of the time, and they gave it a 7.8 "Good" rating. http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/933010.asp 78% happens to be about the average review score as well, and I don't think that's bad. Wii Sports is *lots* of fun, but I would expect reviews to take into account that it's also basically just a tech demo intended to give people a taste of different things. If reviewers started handing out scores much better than what it's getting, where would they go when the real games start coming out?

PS: Chris, what model is your HT? It looks a lot like mine... And hey, remember: always use the Wiimote strap, that thin CAN fly! :)

What's an HT? That sound system tuner? It's just whatever the entry level Sony 5.1 system was a couple years ago. I like having the original tape on my strap.

The Wii can play all Game Cube discs, plus the Virtual Console feature will give it the power play NES, Super NES, N64, SEGA:Genesis and TurboGrafx-16 Games! Besides, you can’t play Metroid, Zelda or Mario games on the 360 or PS3...that combined with the price?! I’m definitely going to go with the Wii, it’s the perfect party system. I might even throw a party just to play with the Wii.

Top of my christmas list, Amazon.co.uk opened their preorders this morning and it sold out in like half an hour! Fortunately my Dad was on the case, can't wait for the brand new Zelda game now they've dumped the cartoon graphics. I guess i'll be completing Wind Waker to keep me busy until christmas. :p

It looks like the makers of “Twilight Princess” have watched “The Lord of The Rings” a few times too many, there are a lot of creature parallels in this one, and it looks a lot like a “LoTR” game this time around, which is a good thing in my opinion.

On Sunday my wife and I went shopping at the local Toys-R-Us for some Christmas gifts. I was blown away that there were over a half dozen Wiis on the shelf with no lines in sight. After picking one up I stared at the box in disbelief half expecting to get pummeled after the PS3 fiasco.

Anyway after hearing about the Wii controller my first thought was that they need to make a Jedi based game! But it looks like that won't be happening, at least for the time being. http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3150907 (sigh), I’ll have to continue to wield the Mag-lite menacingly :)

I seem to recall that LucasArts was dropping hints about a Wi lightsaber game at the last E3 -- it's probably in the works but hasn't been annouced yet.

I seem to recall that LucasArts was dropping hints about a Wi lightsaber game at the last E3 -- it's probably in the works but hasn't been annouced yet.

There was a recent Lucasarts tech demo that involved Jedi characters. All they said about it was that it was to show off the engine for a forthcoming Star Wars game (Oy) and that the game was not a sequel to any previous game.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=DjlFTihRwAk

Aww man a weekend with the Wii. I can't recall the last time I had so much fun.

So far Zelda is shaping up to be the best yet, theres something insanely fun about toturing little rabbits in Rayman, and Wii tennis is pretty damn awesome. I can't decide which of the control schemes I preffer, however I will say I've had a lot more fun with CoD3 Wii than I ever did with CoD2 360, despite what the reviews say.
Already have 5 virtual console titles, perfect emulation. All in all the best launch of a system I've ever had the fortune to enjoy :)

I'd like to hear from someone who's played both the Rayman Rabids and Monkey Ball to compare the mini games. I'll probably get that Elebits game for someone next week. It looks like a good cooperative game. A dedicated golfing game also comes out next week.

I played Raving Rabbids on a PC, it's pretty fun. I can see how well it works with the wiimote, given all the mouse-operated minigames. MY friend has the Wii version, it is the best one.

I don't know how it would compare to Super Monkey ball, though.

God damn it. Someone tell GameStop to NOT have "Empty Boxes" with the Wii on them next to all their boxes of other consoles for sale. I went down to the store in a mad dash and asked for one (set up right next to some used X-Boxes) and was looked at like an idiot by the cashier and told "Those are empty boxes." To which I replied "Aww you shouldn't tease me like that.", trying to cover up my rage with a joke. Unfortunately she didn't find me that funny and proceeded to ignore me from then on. It was a long walk of shame out of that GameStop tonight.

the sad thing is that they have plenty Wiis around here, but they cost around 1140,00 dollars, thanks to taxes.

I saw one, yesterday, but that's a bit too expensive. There was a mother buying two classic controllers, an extra wiimote, a pink DS Lite and Nintendogs for her daughter. A very rich mother.

Back