Why Prophecy on GBA?

I think its the fact that its possible......Im fairly sure its going to be a decent game but actually seeing it on the GBA has made me interested in it........but thats just me.

True, but some might argue as to whether WCP GBA is really 'new'. :) I wasn't one of those who first played WC on a console, so I'm interested in seeing how it will turn out. I don't think I know anyone locally who has a GBA, let alone someone who will also buy WCP for it, so I doubt I'll have the joy of experiencing its multiplayer features.

Why do Wing Commander fans want the a new Wing Commander game? Wow, this survey really tackles the tough issues.

I like it more for the possibility that it could become a spearhead to increase WC popularity (and hopefully more WC games!).

I respect the work of the programmers, exelent work, but what is Wing Commander without a big screen, a good Joystick, good sound and the Vids? I can't belief that they have found a way to compress the movies that much that they can be put on the GBA and I think the Vids are what make Wing Commander some kind of special, isn't it so?
Beside that I think games like Freelancer and Earth & Beyond would take more attention to the genre in general then the GBA Prophecy.
For the programmers work I have to say take you things and get on a PC. When you can make such good graphiks on the GBA I don't want to know what you can do on a PC!
Beside that is it true that GBA Prophecy is written in Asambler? If its so its no wonder why its so fast without a big hardware

Thats my opinion about GBA Prophecy.

Yeah, Wing Commander 1, 2, Privateer, Armada and Academy were pretty weak. You've got to have the vids, man.

I want to see it because it's fricking cool... portable Wing Commander without that crazy portable Sega CD thing or whatever the hell it is...

I will also point out that Freespace did nothing brilliant for the Space Sim market, and Earth and Beyond looks to be not a great game. The few Wing Commander fans I've talked to that have played the beta appear to have gotten bored pretty quickly.

I play Earth & Beyond and I think it's quite a good game in it's own right...so far
lvling to no specific end can kill a game, but they're always talk about some doom in the near future, perhaps they mean to have a constant storyline?
The controls are definately a step backwards though.

Hi folks! :)

I think there are good things and bad things about the GBA Prophecy.

Its something new (sort of) for WC, portable carry around etc.

Joystick, large (LCD projection) screen, surround sound subwoofer wall shaking system cant fit into a GBA tho.

:)

Those things that people keep listing as bad are opposing the whole portable concept. If you want a non-portable big-assed solution, play normal prophecy...

Joystick, large (LCD projection) screen, surround sound subwoofer wall shaking system cant fit into a GBA tho.

It's not an especially tall order to mod your GBA so it can ouput to a TV, though -- in which case you can play Prophecy on your large screen and nice sound system...

(Although I'd imagine that most WC's would choke on a LCD projection screen, as not many LCD screens are 320x240 or 640x480 specific. :))

There's a hook-up that connects the GBA to a Gamecube, if I'm not mistaken.

Yeah, there is a cable, and its about 7 bucks. Unfortuantely, you cant use it to play your GBA on your TV. But hope is still out there. There is another cable which lets you do it. I had a customer at work tell me about it the other day. But I have never seen it.

As far as the Earth and Beyond Beta goes. I played it for about half an hour....then got bored. TC is right.

Originally posted by KrisV
Yeah, Wing Commander 1, 2, Privateer, Armada and Academy were pretty weak. You've got to have the vids, man.

You´re right, Kris, I could play new WC games in WC1/2 style / graphics forever.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF

It's not an especially tall order to mod your GBA so it can ouput to a TV, though -- in which case you can play Prophecy on your large screen and nice sound system...

(Although I'd imagine that most WC's would choke on a LCD projection screen, as not many LCD screens are 320x240 or 640x480 specific. :))

Well, I have to agree about that! But they dont look too bad. If I hook it into my DRC (Digital Reality Creation) Sony Vega monitor (42" direct view), it cleans up the video a little.

Actually I think the GBA release is kinda neat. I dont own a GBA, but this new release will give me a reason to get one! :)

Back