Where sports and Wing Commander meet

Farbourne

Rear Admiral
Don't know how many NFL fans frequent these forums, but I found this somewhat amusing. The Pittsburgh Steelers have progressed to the AFC championship game this season. Their three stars all have names that start with "B", and given that they wear black and yellow (and occasionally wear vintage throwback uniforms that are awful black and yellow stripes), the sports media has dubbed them "the Killer B's".

This weekend, they play the New England Patriots, whose avowed defensive approach is to do whatever it takes to neutralize the opponent's star players and make them beat you with their lesser players. So in a sense, you could say that the Patriots are "Star Slayers".

So we have the Killer B's versus the Star Slayers! (Yes, I'm reaching a little here).

Unfortunately, the Lions have already been eliminated from the playoffs (and don't wear black, in any case). And while there are sports teams named "Blue Devils", they do not play in the NFL; they are the teams of Duke University. I guess that if you hate the Dallas Cowboys, as many people do, you might consider them "blue devils", but they've also been eliminated. So there's not much Wing Commander I can do with the NFC CG. (It features the Green Bay Packers and the Atlanta Falcons. Hmm.... I guess the Falcons are a kind of a Raptor...)

Back