What's Your Real Opinion About the Movie?

Dragon1 said:
Actually, I thought Sansky was a rather poor CO. He was quite indecisive during the combat against the Kilrathi fleet near the middle of the film. After Sansky died, it was in many ways the actions of Gerald (even more so than Paladin or Blair) that brought the Tiger's Claw into a position where Blair could save the day. Prior to his death (by paper cut to the skull) Sansky's decisions were muddled by slow reaction time and doubt, and the only thing that he didn't waver on was the Paladin issue because he happened to be carrying some esoteric Tolwyn family ring (that could have just as easily been stolen).

I think your evaluation is spot on. Yet again though, it it sansky who was originaly in colusion with admiral wilson and who was the traitor on the Tiger's claw IIRC. In the scene where he seems hesitant and distracted during the Kilrathi attack he is actually thumbing a Pilgrim Cross. Look Closely. It's there in the theatrical cut. And it's him and Adm. Wilson in the picture in his cabin. Again, without the traitor stuff, hes just a CO with problems.

Attachments

• PDVD_000.JPG
    PDVD_000.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 298
I was so disappointed by this movie ... I rent it first with a friend I was trying to convince how great the WC universe was. Even as a fan, I couldn't myself consider that more that a failure, and my friend is still mocking me about that years after ... :mad:

Since then, I've been re-watching it several, always thinking I couldn't be as bad as in my memory ... but it is. Prize & Lillard really sucks: the first one seems absent and the second one is like over-acting under steroids. But I seems impossible to compete with Tom Wilson (especially is coll WC4's acting) for that role ... Like others, I think J. Prochnow to be a great actor, but he's not given the opportunity to display his talent. The only one which is, to my opinion, getting thru that movie without shame being Tchéky Karyo ...
What first disappointed me is the complete fracture between ships' designs. I can understand they're flying older fighter models, but does the Tiger's Claw has had a face lift between the movie and WC1?

Worst of all: the Kilrathi! They don't even look like something! They are ugly, seems unable to move, ... in one word: ridiculous! I liked the way Kilrathi looks like in WC 1 & 2, their appareance suffered a lot when they get from 2D to scenes in WC 3 & 4, but in the movie they are hideous!

I've been waiting for this movie for long, I even had to wait for it to be available for rental since it wasn't in theater in my city ... A big disappointement. :confused:

Matthieu

Adm Wilson was supposed to be a traitor? Capt Sansky in colusion with Wilson?

What was the traitor plot supposed to be AD? I never got my hands on the novel.

Dragon1 said:
Adm Wilson was supposed to be a traitor? Capt Sansky in colusion with Wilson?

What was the traitor plot supposed to be AD? I never got my hands on the novel.

If I'm remembering this right, At the very begining the admiral on Pegasus is a traitor. Essentially he gives the navcom to the Kilrathi. I believe he may be a pilgrim but someone with access to the novel can correct me. He went to the academy with Sansky. That is the picture in Sansky's cabin that he is looking at and feeling his class ring when he gets called to the bridge. There's some wierd signals from the tiger claw and in the script its merlin that discovers these. Later in the film, during the boarding of the CommCon wilson is on board and him and blair have a big knife fight.

I'm forgeting something but that is the jist of it.

where's malcolm mcdowell?!! and what about the kilrathi culture? roberts shows no respect for the wc fans IMO, he just figured doing WC was easiest option to get his foot in the movie door. when he got his budget and were all set I think he forgot about WC alltogether and just thought "hey cool, i'm making a movie".

and freddie prinze jr sucks.

ofc, I do have the DVD. it IS a WC feature after all.

McDowell was busy, at the time, with the remake of the "Fantasy Island" TV series, which is why he wasn't cast as Tolwyn in the movie. TV casting contracts aren't something one generally tosses aside at the slightest whim.

As for the rest of your post, infinite, feel free to spare us the "wah, he didn't do it the way **I** wanted, it sucks!" routine.

MadMat said:
their appareance suffered a lot when they get from 2D to scenes in WC 3 & 4, but in the movie they are hideous!

Whatcha talking 'bout! :)

I thought they looked great in 3. What I didnt understand about 4 was why Melek was so different to the Wc3 version. Anyway, you're right about the movie versions looking pretty bad, and while their faces in 3 were very well done here they just looked kinda like the plastic and rubber they were probably made from. I liked the "red" quality of their ships in 3, but in the movie it was like a Klingon warship but with a green tint.

When I first saw the movie I had the stereotypical "stupid fanboy" knee jerk reactions to it. However, although I haven't watched it in a long time, I no longer cling to that. Whatever misgivings I had or have about the movie, I just think... it could have been much worse. It could have been the horrible fanservice I was expecting.

I thought they looked great in 3. What I didnt understand about 4 was why Melek was so different to the Wc3 version

That's right they are better in WC3 than WC4. But I'd rather Hobbes in WC2 than WC3. His face may be not to bad in video, but not the way he move ...

Everytime I see it I spot the flaws, the reactions of the characters just don't gel well in certain places, sometimes its spot on, but sometimes they clearly only have a certain reaction as a plot device. There are are outbursts that come out of nowhere, the script as a whole needed a lot of work...

...having said that, I really enjoy it, infact I watched it last on friday. The action is well done, complimented by a superb sound track, it never gets dull and there is still that glimmer of wing commander essence. I'm certainly not one of those who wish it had never been made, but much like as with all the other video game movie adapations I like the film, but I can absolutely 100% see why people criticise it.

I can forgive just about everything about the movie except mutant space semi-jedi. Wing Commander did not need Pilgrims.

The movie isn't my favorite Wing Commander product. But I think it's important to keep it in mind that it could have been worse.

For example, the movie could have revolved around a laughing Kilrathi who hypnotizes the crew of the Tiger's Claw, and then takes them on a journey to the center of the galaxy to meet "God."

Dougly said:
The movie isn't my favorite Wing Commander product. But I think it's important to keep it in mind that it could have been worse.

For example, the movie could have revolved around a laughing Kilrathi who hypnotizes the crew of the Tiger's Claw, and then takes them on a journey to the center of the galaxy to meet "God."
I don't think Chris Roberts is that stupid.

Death said:
Yeah, that's a real neat jedi power, being able to do math really fast. :rolleyes:

Well, in both WC and Star Wars, Mark Hammil uses a special gift that runs strong on his family to do something others would require a computer.

On a side note, I let my two younger cousins watch the movie and although they've never played any of the games they both thought the movie was quite good. I'm wondering if the WC dvd has sold better in stores than anticipated? Anyone know how to check its sales?

Back