What WC game would you like to see next for GBA?

What WC game would you like to see next for GBA?

• WC1+SM1/2--go back to the beginning

Votes: 8 32.0%
  • WC2+SO1/2

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • WC3

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • WC4

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Secret Ops

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Privateer

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • WC Academy

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • WC Armada

Votes: 5 20.0%

• Total voters

Ijuin

Admiral
Assuming that WC Prophecy for GBA sells well enough for the companies involved to seriously consider porting other WC games to GBA, which one would you like to see come out next?

It'd be awesome if someone could dig up the unpublished-but-completed WC2 SNES and port it to the GBA.

They made WC2 for the SNES and never put it out?

Man...that woulda' changed a few things. Like me plopping down $140 on Kilrathi Saga.

Who am I kidding....even if I woulda' played WC2 all those years ago.....I'd still want KS today.

( WC2 was the only WC game I had never played, up until last week that is... )

If they can port WCP, they can port any game.

But what about this... PRIVATEER on the GBA, enhamced with new plot missions, new planets, a new sector.

Realistically, the next one they'd put out, if they did one for the GBA, would be Secret Ops. They've already got the physics and the engine and a bunch of models and various things set that they'd need for that.

Originally posted by TC
Realistically, the next one they'd put out, if they did one for the GBA, would be Secret Ops.

That's true. What's also truth is that, realistically, WCSO has zero appeal, while "WC1 for GBA" might attract a reasonable amount of attention for this kind of thing. WC1 is retro-gaming after all - WCSO isn't.

And if you can port a WC sprite engine for the GBA, you can do WC1, WC2, Priv and all add-ons as well.

Hopefully sales will be good. Things with "Wing Commander" on the cover tend to do well.

Ehh, I don't think retro-gaming is a big issue. I'm sure it helps with sales, but at the same time, I think most people buy GBA games because they think they're good, not because they remember playing them a decade ago.

Well, retro-gaming should be about playing good old games, not crap old ones. Since WC is indeed a very good game, I think a port could be a major success. When you think about it, the game structure is perfect for the GBA. The briefing-alert-take off animations, for example, would look terrific on the GBA. They could even use the GBA-WCP engine, actually. The design of WC1 missions is very simple when compared to WCP. But that’s just technical aspects.

Emperor: “Speak of your plans, not of your toys. Tell me how you’ll defeat the MMPGs”

Thrakkath: “Without Ultima Online 2 to protect them, my armada of old game ports can swing to the GBA, and attack the defenseless market demographics”

Emperor: “And what about that major game company that caused us so much trouble?"

Thrakkath: “Those fools are profit-driven! They will produce our games if people want them!”

Emperor: “Excellent. Soon, even the X-Box market will be in our grasp.”

I don't know about that... however much we might love WC, I don't think we can assume that a WC1 port would be popular. Here in Australia, about 80% of all GBA games are classified G8+. They're designed for kids. Why? I'd assume it's because kids are the main market segment for the GBA. And these kids did not play WC1 in 1990. Maybe they played WCP in 1997, but even that doesn't seem too likely with that age group.

So, it may be best to wait and see how WCP GBA sells - then we can start speculating about how another WC game would do.

On a sidenote, whoever invented the term "retro-gaming" should be poisoned, stabbed, shot, drowned under the ice of a frozen river, and then dragged out, dried out and burnt at a stake for good measure. When you read Tolkien, is that retro-reading? Is Casablanca retro-watching?

Originally posted by TC
Realistically, the next one they'd put out, if they did one for the GBA, would be Secret Ops. They've already got the physics and the engine and a bunch of models and various things set that they'd need for that.

I *believe* the GBA is designed so that it's particularly easy to port-over SNES titles -- making WC1 GBA, SM1 GBA and potentially WC2 GBA fairly easy to do.

The problem with porting the old WC SNES games to GBA is a sales issue. As Quarto pointed out, the GBA is marketed towards kids, not people in their 20's to early 30's (which seems to be the norm on this board) and the graphics of WC1 and the others just might not appeal to the fickle masses of children in the gaming community now. It would be wonderful to see, but I seriously doubt we will see anything of our old favorites on GBA, Secret Ops will be a shoe-in if Prophecy does well, but I'm not holding my breath for the others to show up.

Oh, and as for the game I'd like to see on it next? Assuming WCP does well, I's like to see SO so that whenit does well, they'll make a all new GBA game in the prophecy universe that will be so popular that a new WC computer game will be released with the same story line :)

C-ya

I'd like to see Armada put to the GBA if only because I have so many fond memories of the campaign mode.

Originally posted by Viper61
The problem with porting the old WC SNES games to GBA is a sales issue. As Quarto pointed out, the GBA is marketed towards kids, not people in their 20's to early 30's (which seems to be the norm on this board) and the graphics of WC1 and the others just might not appeal to the fickle masses of children in the gaming community now.

The GBA is definitely not marketed just for kids. See
https://cdn.wcnews.com/newershots/full/gbaspdark.jpg
There are many other ads like that.
And the idea that WC1 graphics wouldn't appeal to kids is crazy. When the most popular games on the system are 8 bit and 16 bit Nintendo ports, WC1 would fit in just fine.

Originally posted by Delance
That's true. What's also truth is that, realistically, WCSO has zero appeal, while "WC1 for GBA" might attract a reasonable amount of attention for this kind of thing. WC1 is retro-gaming after all - WCSO isn't.

Wow, how would Secret Ops have zero appeal? It'd be marketed as the sequel to Prophecy, which many people don't even know existed. They would give it talking-head style story driven modes and add whatever basic FMV as necessary so that the presentation of its story would be seamlessly integrated and equal to that of Prophecy Advance. And 1998 is practically retro gaming by today's standards. Anyone interested in WC1 would be interested in Secret Ops as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by Viper61
The problem with porting the old WC SNES games to GBA is a sales issue. As Quarto pointed out, the GBA is marketed towards kids, not people in their 20's to early 30's (which seems to be the norm on this board) and the graphics of WC1 and the others just might not appeal to the fickle masses of children in the gaming community now. It would be wonderful to see, but I seriously doubt we will see anything of our old favorites on GBA, Secret Ops will be a shoe-in if Prophecy does well, but I'm not holding my breath for the others to show up.

Oh, and as for the game I'd like to see on it next? Assuming WCP does well, I's like to see SO so that whenit does well, they'll make a all new GBA game in the prophecy universe that will be so popular that a new WC computer game will be released with the same story line :)

C-ya

Since when is an ad with a nearly-naked woman on it directed at kids? :D One of the reasons they designed the GBA SP as it is seems to be the fact they wanted to make it look less like a toy and more like something an older person could carry.

And I'm not sure I'd call 'Caesar's Palace' a game directed at kids... hell, even Pokemon gets people in their twenties, and Zelda was ported from the SNES to the GBA as well. That's selling based on its 'retro' appeal as much as anything - including the Four Swords add-on game that comes with it.

About the only game I know of which has been targeted exclusively at kids recently, outside of Pokemon is 'The Muppets: On With the Show'.

Anyone interested in WC1 would be interested in Secret Ops as well.

Wing Commander is major game classic, WCSO is not nearly as famous. Wing Commander is one of the most important and influential games ever released. In my opinion, if someone made a GBA version of it, it would generate a lot of midia attention, much more than WCSO at least.

Originally posted by Quarto
Here in Australia, about 80% of all GBA games are classified G8+. They're designed for kids. Why? I'd assume it's because kids are the main market segment for the GBA.

Nintendo had a terrible year in sales, and they are desperately trying to expand on their demographics. In fact, games like GTA sells better to 10 year olds than Mario, so games like WC1 could be just what they a looking for. Not necessarily WC, but that kind of game that appeals to various ages.

When you read Tolkien, is that retro-reading? Is Casablanca retro-watching?

I see your point, but there’s a technical difference. Very old games generally are very, very inferior technically. Graphics are crude, block, simple, primitive. And you might need some old hardware or emulator to do it. But you can read Sheakspeare in a comfortable new book, or watch Casablanca on DVD. If you had to construct a 40's cinema with 40's technology to watch Casablanca, it would be retro-watching.

Even interface conventions are different. Old adventure games had strange, hard-to-use interfaces. Old FPS games must be hard to play for people used to WASD/Mouse. Such conventions are very important, that’s why they choose this control scheme for Freelancer, a space combat sim (or shooter, if you like) of all games.

Wing Commander is major game classic, WCSO is not nearly as famous. Wing Commander is one of the most important and influential games ever released. In my opinion, if someone made a GBA version of it, it would generate a lot of midia attention, much more than WCSO at least.

When people see the game on the shelf, the word Wing Commander is what will stand out. If they'd buy WC1 on GBA, they'd buy Secret Ops. Any place that would give a GBA game positive press because it was WC1 will do so because it's Secret Ops just the same. Like I said just below, the fact that they never heard of it will help the game just as much as anything else.. It'll be completely new to them and billed as a sequel to Prophecy, what some thought was the last WC game.

Originally posted by ChrisReid
When people see the game on the shelf, the word Wing Commander is what will stand out. If they'd buy WC1 on GBA, they'd buy Secret Ops.

Well, first of all, it's not possible to know that.

Then again, I was talking about media attention. Not someone noticing the title on a shelf, but game mags and sties talking about it. Hype. WC for GBA could be a major thing and get a lot of coverage. Much more than WCSO, that's for certain.

"Wing Commander" is frequently featured on lists like "Best games" or "Most influential games", while WCSO is not.

And speaing of classics on the GBA, here are The Lost Vikings

Well, first of all, it's not possible to know that.

Then again, I was talking about media attention. Not someone noticing the title on a shelf, but game mags and sties talking about it. Hype. WC for GBA could be a major thing and get a lot of coverage. Much more than WCSO, that's for certain.

"Wing Commander" is frequently featured on lists like "Best games" or "Most influential games", while WCSO is not.

And speaing of classics on the GBA, here are The Lost Vikings

Wing Commander: Secret Operations

Uh... so... since you talk about 'guilt by association' in other threads, where does this stand? "Wing Commander", "Wing Commander 2: Vengeance of the Kilrathi", "Wing Commander 3: Heart of the Tiger", "Wing Commander 4: The Price of Freedom", "Wing Commander Prophecy", "Wing Commander: Secret Ops"...

Man, those Rainbow Six games aren't related at all either, are they? Those "Sequel to the Best Selling Game of 2001" labels and all...

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
It'd be awesome if someone could dig up the unpublished-but-completed WC2 SNES and port it to the GBA.

Oh yes! The very reason I voted for WC2!

Realistically, if Prophecy Advance does well, they'll end up porting over the SNES WC1.

Back