What is the black lance?

alright i feel real stupid asking this but i should because the first wing commander game i played was prophecy.i dont care if you make fun of me as long as you tell me what they are.

WC4 took place before WCP.
the blacklance? well...badguys who think their cause is right.

Allow me to provide a more detailed explanation.
smile.gif

Okay, I think some people will say that Black Lance is not the name of the organization in question, but the name of their super-advanced fighter (Dragon being the name of one arm of the organization's forces or something like that). While this is true in the novel, the game calls the organization the Black Lance, so take your pick on what you want to call it.

Anyway, the Black Lance (or whatever you want to call them) is a group of genetically engineered men led by the superman named Seether, and was founded by Adm. Sir Geoffrey Tolwyn in the hopes of preparing a flawless fighting force to protect the Confederation when a race more deadly than the Kilrathi invaded (Old Geoff didn't live to see the Nephilim, however). In order to provide a proper training area for the Lance forces, Tolwyn created a war between the Confederation and the Border Worlds, fueled by BL forces. Tolwyn also eliminated certain groups of people he felt were inferior, separating the wheat from the chaff so to speak.

So, that's basically what the Black Lance is. Also, there's something about a guy named Whittaker and the Belisarius Group, but screw that. I don't feel like trying to figure out what the hell was going on with that.
wink.gif

------------------
If I'm locked on, there's no such thing as evasive action!

Last edited by a moderator:
*if you havent played WC4, there are spoliers below. Read at risk of giving away a good plotline*

theres even more twisted little details. His method of "wheat from chaff" seperation targeted only people without a certain level of physical capability, and meant a messy and painful end for the rest. Also, the Border Worlds war was supposed to be the reason for Tolwyn to announce the existence of the Lance. No, he didnt tell the ruling government they were around - people tend to do that sort of stuff during wars, and continue afterwards.

It gets even more twisted and convoluted, but I think Ive said enough for now...

The whole damn thing is convoluted. I spent a good long bus ride trying to explain it all to a friend of mine last year.

------------------

Not to mention the longest.

------------------
HTML Assistant: WC Space Command
Administrator: UBW 5th Fleet
Member of the LMG and hating it (Disgruntled Man)
I might be right, I might be wrong, but then again, I just might not care either. Got a problem with that?--Me.

Och, it's not that convoluted. I can explain the whole story in one sentence
smile.gif
. Tolwyn went nuts and decided to take over the universe.
biggrin.gif

I wasn't under the impression he wanted to take over the Universe. I think he thought that what he was doing was in humanity's best interest, but that it kind of got out of control. If you read False Colors, there's a section where Tolwyn dwells on what he's planning, and to me he didn't seem some neo-Hitler, but a man who was very, very desparate to prevent another war as bad as the T-K War from happening.

I know you meant that as a joke, but, hey...
smile.gif

------------------

Except he turned into what he was fighting when, I think, he focused too much on what he was doing to get it done as fast as he could to prevent it from happening (a la WC3)

TC

------------------
CAG of the Blacklance HQ
"Canadian and proud of it"-TC
You are in no way entitled to any WC games, if you don't have them its your own damn fault.

Yeah, well, you know... it was just to simplify things. Save the Universe, conquer the Universe... nobody will even notice the difference
biggrin.gif

And no, I haven't read False Colours. You can buy it for me, if you like
wink.gif
. And btw when/if you have ER ready for me, you might want to send me your mail address.

I said I already have the book. I'll give you my address when I'm good and ready.

------------------

Back