What is the best setup for P1 and P2?

marty6

Spaceman
I would like to know what works best for P1 and P2 when it comes to the autoexec.bat and config.sys files.

I'm using win98 and an sblive value card.

Here's what I use:

[Config.sys]
DOS=HIGH,UMB,noauto
Device=C:\WINDOWS\Himem.Sys /testmem:eek:n
DeviceHigh=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.Exe 4092 frame=e000 /i=b000-b7ff RAM [4092 will work just fine, but you can have up to 16384 without issues]
DEVICE=c:\aecu.sys
FILESHIGH=40
BUFFERSHIGH=20,4
DEVICEHIGH=[CD-ROM driver and the rest of it]

[Autoexec.bat]
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1
SET PATH=C:\windows;C:\windows\command;
LH c:\maestro.com
LH C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MSCDEX.EXE /E /D:IDECD001 /M:12
lh c:\mouse\mouse.exe

mystery puppet

I had to get another username...it's now marty8 and I hope that I can get in this forum to post. At times it's hard to post here. I'll try your posted autoexec.bat and config.sys files. Are you using a sblive value card as well as using win98? And does this configuration work with P2 as well as P1? Thank you for your post. I'll post again to let you know if it worked for me.

Ghost

I hope that this post gets posted....It's the cookies option I believe that is preventing me from posting properly...Well, I continue the sage:

I went to another dos622 website and read on how to increase the conventienal memory. Well, I did that and got 616K free memory with almost everything loaded in upper memory. That still does not help in my situation. I still can not get past the priv.exe command at the prompt. I have used almost all of the sound card choices and music card choice and also the option of no music or sound. What can I do next to get the game to work? Here's my autoexec.bat and config.sys files:

config.sys
SWITCHES=/F

DOS=HIGH,UMB

FILES=80
LASTDRIVE=Z

FCBS=1,0

STACKS=0,0

DEVICE=C:\windows\HIMEM.SYS /NUMHANDLES=128 /TESTMEM:OFF /Q

DEVICE=C:\Windows\emm386.exe x=b8000-c7ff i=c800-efff i=b000-b7ff RAM M3 A=64 H=128 D=256 AUTO NOTR

Device=c:\max\dosmax.exe N+ P- R- U02 U08 U09 U0A U0B U0C U0E U70 U72 U73 U74 U76 U77

Devicehigh /L:1 c:\cdrom\aoatapi.sys /d:idecd000 /q
rem Devicehigh /L:1 C:\cdrom\vide--cdd.sys /d:cd--rom /d:cd--rw

Devicehigh=/L:1 c:\max\Nansi.sys /K /X

rem devicehigh c:\wg\ifshlp.sys

devicehigh c:\max\zeno174.exe /Q

SHELL=C:\max\shellmax.com /N+ /P- /R- /S- C:\command.com c:\ /E:1280 /P

set temp=E:\tmep
set tmp=E:\temp
BACK 2 TOP

my autoexec.bat file
@echo off
cls
prompt=$p$g
rem set path=c:\windows
set temp=c:\windows;c:\windows\command;c:\windows\system;c:\
set path=c:\windows
SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 H7 P330 T6
SET CTSYN=C:\WINDOWS
C:\PROGRA~1\CREATIVE\SBLIVE\DOSDRV\SBEINIT.COM
rem set path=c:\windows;c:\windows\command;

c:\windows\emm386.exe auto
lh c:\mouse\mouse.exe

lh C:\MSCDEX.EXE /D:IDECD000 /M:20 /E
c:\max\envimax.com N+

As you can see I'm using a memory manager under maxdos2.1. Well, I also tried the bootdisk on the first page of this posting and I can say this much, the bootdisk does work, but still I have the same problem. I'm using the Privateer 1 dos cd as well as the privateer 2: darkening dos cds. Help.

marty8, you have a lot of garbage going on. Use this bootdisk for P1.

There are two lines in the autoexec.bat that you'll need to fix because of how this site post thing. Make sure that each line is one line.

SET PATH=C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND;C:\PROGRA~1\CREATIVE\SBLIVE\DOSDRV\;

----config.sys---------
[common]
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE 16384 RAM FRAME=E000 /I=B000-B7FF
DOS=HIGH,UMB

REM --- CD-ROM Drive ---
DEVICEHIGH=C:\CDROM\AOATAPI.SYS /D:IDECD000

STACKS=18,256
FILESHIGH=50
BUFFERSHIGH=35
SHELL=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM C:\WINDOWS /P
LASTDRIVE=F

---------autoexec.bat--------
SET PATH=C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND;C:\PROGRA~1\CREATIVE\SBLIVE\DOSDRV\;
SET TEMP=C:\TEMP
SET TMP=C:\TEMP
PROMPT $p$g
SET CTYN=C:\WINDOWS
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H1 P330 T6 J201
REM --- CD-ROM Drive ---
LH C:\WINDOWS\MSCDEX.EXE /D:IDECD000 /M:20 /E

REM --- Mouse-----
LH C:\MOUSE\MOUSE.EXE

SET COMSPEC=C:\windows\COMMAND.COM
---------------------------------------
Now as for P2 go to this link and read the "Installing Privateer 2 DOS version to work in Win9x DOS box."
http://www.crius.net/zone/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3331

John

If you are using the sblive value card, what options did you choose for the sound and music installations for P1 and especially for P2?

I'll cut and paste you autoexec.bat and config.sys file and modify for the mouse and cdrom. If I have the same problem with the priv.exe file, is there another course of action?

Re: John

Originally posted by marty8
If you are using the sblive value card, what options did you choose for the sound and music installations for P1 and especially for P2?

I'll cut and paste you autoexec.bat and config.sys file and modify for the mouse and cdrom. If I have the same problem with the priv.exe file, is there another course of action?
SB 16 Port=220 Irq=5 DMA=1
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H1 P330 T6 J201

For P2 read the instruction I already posted!

Johnl12

Well, that worked?! partly.....

Everything initialized, but still when I typed in the priv command, lockup...no go...no dice....no nothing.......Let's start over. BTW. I used the sbeset -c command and my card is setup the following
A220
I7
D1
H1
P330
J200
adlib 388

In windows the setup is the same for the blaster
sb port 220
mpu 401 port 330
adlib port 388
irq 7
8bit dma 1
16 bit dma 7

So naturally, my sblive settings will be different from yours. But, remember, I have not played around with these settings since early dos and windows3.11. Sure I have been using win95, win98, and winxp..but I'm no professional. I just dusted off the cd expecting this cd to work. The game actually started up without sound before all of these changes to the autoexec.bat and config.sys files....and the game played way, way too fast. Now, I can't even get the priv command to work...it just sits there after being executed...how long does one have to wait in order for the game to start....2hrs or more...that's the problem. The setups are correct on this machine, but the execution of the program is driving me nuts. The prcd command only directs me to play either rf or priv, but when I get to the prompt, i again get the same error......Is privateer 1 that sensitive to the setup of the sound card???

John...

Here's something interesting that I just experimented with. I went to the msconfig file and unchecked the "process Config.sys file" and "process Autoexec.bat file"...the game loaded with a bare minimum of what windows loads. I have saved your autoexec.bat and config.sys files and I will load only parts of them and post my autoexec.bat and config.sys files when I get this game up and running. BTW, the game ran normal...no sound of course.

If your trying to run P1 in windows it wouldn't work. P1 can only be played in Real DOS mode. You need a bootdisk. There is no if, and, or but about it.

Hi john

So, editing the config.sys and the autoexec.bat file on drive "C" will not work at all? OK, I'll make a bootdisk and put the files there. One question though, the sound will work in this game?

When I did boot and got to the "c" prompt and typed privater, I then typed install and got the setup menu. I choose "NONE" for the music and sound and the game ran of course. So, if I make a bootdisk, I will get sound out of this?

In the Music card setup I have the following choices:
General MIDI
Waveblaster
Sound Blaster pro/16
Sound blaster
Ad lib
Thunder Board
NONE

Which one would you choose and what would the settings be if you had my setup?

In the Speech card setup for digital-fx cards are the choices:
Sound Blaster 16
sound blaster pro
sound blaster
pro audio spectrum
thunder board
none

Which one would you choose and what would teh settings be if you had my setup?

I'm not trying to be a smart*** about this, this is frustrating as heck .....Why doesn't Origin and microcrap get together on this and fix this problem....

I really do appreciate your help....

I answer all these questions already. You really need to read everything more carefully. SB16 is the sound card. The first three setting the SET Blaster line are the setting you need.

Sorry John,

Those settings just don't work...

I made the bootdisk, inserted the autoexec.bat and config.sys files onto the disk and booted...well, the answer is the same. I just don't think that privateer 1 will work correctly on this machine. Is there anything missing from this equation?

the only solution is in the msconfig of windows and unchecking the config.sys and autoexec.bat files there and rebooting. Windows then makes its own autoexec.bat and config.sys file. Matter of fact, the config.sys file is empty. And, only 3 lines are in the autoexec.bat file:

set blaster=A220 I7 D1 H7 P330 T6
set ctsyn=C:\windows
c:\progra~1\creative\sblive\dosdrv\sbeinit.com

The game plays, but no sound or music....

John...I did read YOUR instructions...they just don't work for me I guess....thanks for the help. If anybody else out there has a possible answer for me...please post it here.

O'kay lets take remove the CD-ROM. Place a "REM" in front of the CD-ROM lines in both the autoexec.bat and config.sys. Next from the CD copy the priv.tre and the rf.tre to the c:\privater. Now use notepad to edit the priv.cfg and rf.cfg and change them to =c:priv.tre and =c:rf.tre. You now don't need the CD.

If you are still having problems while using the bootdisk use this command
mem /c > p1mem.txt
mem<space>/c<space>><space>p1mem.txt
Make sure you get the spaces correct. This will create a report on how memory is being use. Post the p1mem.txt.

OK....

I'll try that. I did rem out the cds previously. I already changed out the cfg files for both rf and priv.

=c:\privater\priv.cfg
=c:\privater\rf.cfg

both in their respective files.

I'll reboot to dos with the disc and use the mem command that you typed.

be right back

John

When I used the command:

mem /c p1mem.txt

and pressed enter, it just went to another c:\ prompt.....

should I just use the mem /c | more command instead?

I put the cdrom back on line....I'll change that back to being remmed.

ooops... I did a file find and it was on c:\ drive here's the posting for it:

Modules using memory below 1 MB:

Name Total Conventional Upper Memory
-------- ---------------- ---------------- ----------------
SYSTEM 40,416 (39K) 9,808 (10K) 30,608 (30K)
HIMEM 1,168 (1K) 1,168 (1K) 0 (0K)
EMM386 4,320 (4K) 4,320 (4K) 0 (0K)
SBEINIT 4,480 (4K) 4,480 (4K) 0 (0K)
MOUSE 24,352 (24K) 24,352 (24K) 0 (0K)
AOATAPI 18,576 (18K) 0 (0K) 18,576 (18K)
COMMAND 7,168 (7K) 0 (0K) 7,168 (7K)
Free 647,392 (632K) 611,040 (597K) 36,352 (36K)

Memory Summary:

Type of Memory Total Used Free
---------------- ----------- ----------- -----------
Conventional 655,360 44,320 611,040
Upper 92,704 56,352 36,352
Reserved 0 0 0
Extended (XMS)* 401,446,368 3,811,808 397,634,560
---------------- ----------- ----------- -----------
Total memory 402,194,432 3,912,480 398,281,952

Total under 1 MB 748,064 100,672 647,392

Total Expanded (EMS) 17,170,432 (16M)
Free Expanded (EMS)* 16,777,216 (16M)

* EMM386 is using XMS memory to simulate EMS memory as needed.
Free EMS memory may change as free XMS memory changes.

Largest executable program size 610,960 (597K)
Largest free upper memory block 16,208 (16K)
MS-DOS is resident in the high memory area.

If P1 still not working try this. Delete the c:\privater. Make a folder call c:\privtemp and copy the P1 CD into it. Next use the bootdisk and run "install" from the c:\privtemp. Now copy the *.tre from the c:\privtemp to c:\privater and edit the
priv.cfg =c:priv.tre
rf.cfg =c:rf.tre

Oh' you did not REM out this line in the config.sys.
DEVICEHIGH=C:\CDROM\AOATAPI.SYS /D:IDECD000
The memory report show me it is still loading. Also, add the LH to this line.

Back