What is going on with Origin or EA???

ship57

Rear Admiral
A few months ago, I read an article about Origin or EA.(cannot remember which one)The article said something about the company downsizing and that it was going to focus on the Ultima series of games. I was just wondering how the WC series of games would be affected by this. Does this mean that the company is not going to make any more WC games? Or is it going to be awhile before another WC game comes out?? This did not sit well with me if true , because I am usually the first to buy a WC game whenever it comes to a software store in my city. Also, is Privateer 3 dead and buried? I know it was cancelled, but are there plans to revive it? If anyone knows the latest news on these two series, please post. Thanks.

Do a little archive research man, you`ll find this topic has been discussed, oh, I don`t know, 10 times in the past month or so.
To put things in short:
a. Yes, EA is downsizing.
b. No, They aren`t planning anymore WC games.
c. Yes, Privateer 3 was cancled,and there aren`t any plans to revive it.

<sigh>
rolleyes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah yes. The magic powers of researching. Most people would do well if they just learn the skill.

------------------
Meson

Wing Commander is more than just a game. It is a lifestyle.

Downsizin(g)? Come on, man! Origin has made a lot of good products for EA. It is possible that they are moving to the online gaming niche and needed more resources to sustain it. It could be that it is a lot easier to maintain a medieval world than a more complicated future world - Privateer Online. Got the gray-matter in the noggin, needs more green stuff in the pocket though.
tongue.gif

Meson said:
Ah yes. The magic powers of researching. Most people would do well if they just learn the skill.

Well, they ARE downsizing.

...They've decided that Origin and all their other subsidiaries don't really need separate marketing divisions.
smile.gif
Wait. I thought this whole EA Games thing was supposed to be bad?

Hmm. You know, guys, the more I think about this, the more I see it as a Good Thing(tm). I mean, it's not like they're planning to fire all the people from Origin. And it may well be that in the huge creature to be known as EA Games, the designers will have more cash available for various projects...

[This message has been edited by Quarto (edited June 26, 2000).]

That may be, but I don`t think they really know which projects to invest in.
frown.gif

Think about this... Merge Westwood and Origin and you get -
Wing Command & Conquer: Kilrathi Alert w/
Bug Alert as a sequel. Space & Surface Battles Anyone?

Andale! Let's dance!!!

Mad Hatter said:
That may be, but I don`t think they really know which projects to invest in.
frown.gif

Well, I'd prefer not to think about that, actually
smile.gif

Quarto said:
Well, I'd prefer not to think about that, actually
smile.gif

Well, it would be an RTS like Starcraft blended with WC Armada when you jump into one of your ships. A Battle-Royale in multiplayer mode
biggrin.gif

Yeah, but I don't particularly like Command & Conquer, so I don't want that to happen. But hell, even if it was StarCraft and Armada, the end result would still be distinctly un-WC like.

Quarto said:
Yeah, but I don't particularly like Command & Conquer, so I don't want that to happen. But hell, even if it was StarCraft and Armada, the end result would still be distinctly un-WC like.

I know it's un-WC. Multiplayer mode has yet to be done for WC and Armada is not playable in the internet due to its strictly DOS only environment.
frown.gif

EA is going for Ultima Online, because it draws in more money - Pay for Play & Registered Users (discourages piracy too)
Ultima is not as complicated as the WC Universe. Wait a while, they're trying out the 3D Ultima Online2. That's where WC Online could come in.

Damn! I love that boy's spunk

[This message has been edited by JoeyRP (edited June 28, 2000).]

Back