What happened to the Firekkans?

Fatcat

Swabbie
Banned
I will say this up front, I have never played Wc1, but I have the gist of it. What I wanted to know is what ever happened to the Firekkans after Wc1? Were they absorbed into Confed? If so, it would be cool in Standoff's upcoming Chapter 2 to have a Firekkan wingman. Do they have their own ships, or do they fly Confed fighters? Where have all the huge birds gone?

Attachments

• Firekkan.jpg
    Firekkan.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 64
SabreAce said:
The CIC Encyclopedia is your friend. That article should cover most of your questions.
I read that article, but I still don't see why we never see those birds again. I understand that few venture into the stars, but you would think some of them would. They have valid reasons to fight against the Kilrathi and join an offensive against them. I've never played WCP, but they also should've wanted to destroy the bugs. Their survival was threatened by them. Birds and bugs are also naturally at odds at least on earth (birds eat bugs). But I'm not too upset, because I would probably find a bird wingman to be annoying and they also may have ended up with a character that has a bad costume.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a small note in the WCP manual: right at the beginning it tells us that the events in the Kilrah system (wormhole opens, Nephilim enter the system and destroy the TCS Devereaux, two colonies, four outposts and a research station) cost the life of:
23,763 Kilrathi
2,988 Humans
41 Firekkans

Thus we can presume that there were quite some Firekkans serving with Confed after all.

As several FMV projects proved, it's hard enough to do giant FMV cats -- birds would be a similarly difficult prospect. They show up referenced in the background a lot... Firekkans died at Kilrah in WCP, Kilrathi were eating Firekkans in Armada, etc.

Geek-pleasing references aside, though, there seems to have been a policy of retconning WC away from 'aliens are giant animals' instituted in the mid-90s -- Super Wing Commander removes the Firekkans from WC1 alltogether.

Instead of saving Firekka and stopping the Sivar-Eshrad ceremony, as you do in SM2, Super Wing Commander has the Tiger's Claw locate and destroy the shipyard that was responsible for the construction of the Sivar dreadnought. These missions are sometimes referred to as Secret Missions 1.5 (since, chronologically, they take place between the attack on Goddard/destruction of the Sivar in SM1, and before the Firekka events we see in SM2)

The CIC has the script for SM1.5 here. You'll notice a lot of it is similar/identical to the dialogue in the standard SM2.

Last edited by a moderator:
SM2 -- and they rewrite it so it's a different story. Instead of being about Firekka, you're attacking the Kilrathi base that designed the Sivar.

It has many of the same subplots -- Hobbes and his Fralthi, sneaking behind enemy lines in Dralthi, Bossman dying, Jazz and Doomsday visiting, etc. -- but it removes the Firekka story alltogether.

They declared themselves independant from the Confederation in Fleet Action - hence the independent nation.

IIRC they got pissed with the peace treaty (that later became known as False Peace) and so left Confed.

We already know that the Kilrathi eat Firekkans -- the Shiraak crew is eating "Firekkan roasts" at their going away feast in Voices of War.

I have a vague memory of reading that the Kilrathi always eat their meat raw. Probably in Freedom Flight since it's the only WC book I have read. Wouldn't that conflict with the Firekkan roasts?

Perhaps "Firekkan Roasts" refers to some kind of culinary dish created BY the Firekkans?

Or maybe the Kitties just like their bird done blue.

Back