What exactly do accelerator absorbers do?

IonMage

Spaceman
Ive always wondered what they do. They normally are the first system to go on my ship in WC1 and 2 (they dont seem to be in the later episodes though).

I personally havent seen any changes in the performance of my ship, so i felt that maybe i should ask here.

You've heard of Newton's old F=ma, I take it? Well, the acceleration in Wing Commander-ships is... high. High enough to squash the average human, I suppose. So, to remedy this, Origin threw in a handy little gadget called Acceleration absorber. Mostly for show, it seems, as I haven't heard of any mission ending prematurely because of a failed Acc absorber.

Heeey, cool, I've been hear a year and a week now! *Throws birthday party*

Acceleration absorbers aren't that hard to imagine. Modern day flight suits have built-in primiative ones already.

there not really acceleration obsorbers, nor are they internal compensators there just added weight in there suit so when they go into hard turns m the pressure in there cheast doesn let there heart explode, it does nothing to really stop the pressure that Gs do to u

My question had to do with what the effects of losing them was than on what they were, i already kinda guessed htem, but wanted to be sure.

Apparently, there are no effects...

Lord_Nathrakh said:
and you only have 255 posts? amn give me a yr ill be over 1,000
Most people only speak when they have something of value to add to a discussion.

Lord_Nathrakh said:
there not really acceleration obsorbers, nor are they internal compensators there just added weight in there suit so when they go into hard turns m the pressure in there cheast doesn let there heart explode, it does nothing to really stop the pressure that Gs do to u
Well, since we don;t have acceleration absorbers in our inventory, I'm sure pilots enjoy the limited acceleration absorbtion/componsation/whatever they get from their G-suits (which use air pressure to force blood from their extremeties so they don't black out, I've never heard of a G-suit preventing someones heart from exploding- could be wrong but oh well)

C-ya

They kinda sound like the Inertial Dampeners.

Also, My fighter in WC I has blow up becuase my Accelerator Absorber was destroyed. I was accelerating at the time though

I had always thought they were used in combating the laws of physics. As in when a ship propels these absorbers allow the fighter to fly as if it where in an atmosphere, as in, not travel in the one direction infinitly and able to change direction easily.

Never even considered the fact that the extreme acceleration would kinda sting. :cool:

Back