What does Privateer 1.0 need?

Just a comment on the manual (I'm late for .9 - my apologies)

manual draft version 0.0.8 now up.

Updated: multi function displays information
Updated: nav screens with the new functionality

Still needs review to pick up the small errors, and information for mac and linux users in the setup sections.

If no remaining comments though, will finalise it as version 1.0 for Privateer Remake v1.0 (soon to be released! YAY!)

(Hope the link works, and if not allowed, moderators please remove it)
Privateer Remake Manual

Wendy said:
Looks like they want a "Quick Start" Guide.

ALmost makes sense to me. Scary.
I think for the original Privateer nuts, all we need is a quick start guide and an hour in the game.

This makes me a nerd, but I pretty much remembered everything I read in the remake manual that was copied from the original (although it was definitely a good idea to read it again).

@JKeefe

Forget to mention before, did you see the Quick Key Guide at the back of the manual? Would that (probably?) serve your purposes of a quick start guide?

JKeefe said:
I think for the original Privateer nuts, all we need is a quick start guide and an hour in the game.

This makes me a nerd, but I pretty much remembered everything I read in the remake manual that was copied from the original (although it was definitely a good idea to read it again).

Y'know, I STILL -- even after 40 intensive hours in the re-make -- hit escape to get out of the nav console.

LOL such be life

Silverain said:
Just a comment on the manual (I'm late for .9 - my apologies)

manual draft version 0.0.8 now up.

Updated: multi function displays information
Updated: nav screens with the new functionality

Still needs review to pick up the small errors, and information for mac and linux users in the setup sections.

If no remaining comments though, will finalise it as version 1.0 for Privateer Remake v1.0 (soon to be released! YAY!)

(Hope the link works, and if not allowed, moderators please remove it)
Privateer Remake Manual

OOooh! Goody goody goody!

Now. . .do I risk my geek status and read it? Or do I blunder on?

Silverain said:
@JKeefe

Forget to mention before, did you see the Quick Key Guide at the back of the manual? Would that (probably?) serve your purposes of a quick start guide?
Yeah, I saw it, printed it out, and used it to program my HOTAS.

Seems other aren't too keen on the idea; so be it.

Just got the manual on the frontpage BTW and in the versioning repository...should make it in for 1.0 for sure

but please give silverain your comments on the manual content

Three important things...

1.) The purchase, sell- und upgrademenue's should changed! They look really bad!

2.) The asteroidfields should look like the fields in wc3

3.) docking at drayman's (are similar big ships) is very funny: i can purchase/sell items and repair my ship. Ohh, i don't like it!

But I've say something:

this mod is good an i hope that version 1.0 isn't the end. Please introduce the good old ships of wcII also in this mod...

CMJ

PS: english isn't my native language

@hellcatv & CMJ
I think that the upgrade menu of Starfleet Command III is very functional. Maybe I can arrange a shot or two, if you like it...

how about a minimal-work path to making this one "good enough"
there's no way the UI system is going to be rewritten for the final release (remember: feature freeze)
changing colors and textures, on the other hand, is entirely within the realm of reason

To change colors and textures seem's to be a good idea. I would favor privateer-like grafic-style (gray/silver/metalic background with scratches buttons...).

Or this green-blue grid from wc:p.

CMJ(Unregistred) said:
3.) docking at drayman's (are similar big ships) is very funny: i can purchase/sell items and repair my ship. Ohh, i don't like it!
I do like it. Despite its on-screen size, the Drayman is supposed to be a massive freighter. As such, I like the ability to perform simple repairs. You can't buy weapons or upgrades or anything like that, and that's good.

As far as selling cargo goes, it sort of makes sense and sort of does not. One the one hand, it is a cargo ship, and trading cargo would seem to make sense. On the other hand, if a Drayman it outfitted and loaded for a cargo haul, there should be no need to buy things from ships that just happen to dock.

As far as the menu interface goes, there's no way it's going to look like Privateer, and at that point I think most people don't care what it looks like,a s long as it works. I think it works fine, so I say spend your time working on other things.

Could somebody please describe (or post a screeny of) the WC3 asteroid fields? To my shame, I never played it.

For now, any solutions that involve asteroids magically appearing in front of the ship aren't likely to happen. Shrinking them and having there be more of them likely won't either, it would result a rather peevish looking cloud from far away

Unless.. Hmm. Have larger ones as now, and a bunch of tinier ones that LOD out of existence when one is farther away.. That could work, and would contradict my last paragraph nicely. Problem being, asteroids are bunched into groups right now. Whole groups would LOD in and out of existence at once, which might or might not look stupid.

Eventually asteroids will work better, but what's there now is "functional" :p

The Asteroidfields in WC3 were only a heap (correct word?) of big rocks with much space between each other.

MamiyaOtaru said:
Could somebody please describe (or post a screeny of) the WC3 asteroid fields? To my shame, I never played it.

I've only ever played Priv, RF & The WC Academy games that came with my first SoundBlaster Pro soundcard & SCSI CDROM Player set. You aren't alone there. And I can't find my Academy CD anymore. It MAY have been the WC-I game. I don't remember, it was so long ago.

Sorry.

hellcatv said:
but please give silverain your comments on the manual content
I'm going to be picky, because I'm reading carefully and doing my best editing.

Section 5.2
Change "This manual was written to the Windows version of Privateer Remake" to "This manual is written for the Windows version of Privateer Remake".

Section 5.3.4
One of the memory settings is for 640MB of RAM. Who has 640MB of RAM? While it is possible (512+128, 256+256+128, etc.), it is rare. Perhaps the setting in-game (and thus the manual description) should be for 768MB of RAM.

Change "Only if you suffer from video driver code crashes, should you select Compiled Vertex Arrays" to "Only select Compiled Vertex Arrays if you suffer from video driver code crashes."

The descriptions for "Hard Game Play", "Insane Game Play", and "Impossible Game Play" are all identical.

In the section titled "Resolution" it says that resolutions "should be set to equal or slightly lower than your normal screen/monitor resolution.
1. If you're going to leave this unchanged, it reads better and is more technically correct as "It should be set equal to or lower than your normal desktop resolution."
2. I run my desktop @ 1280x960 and run Privateer Remake @ 1600x1200 with no problems.

In the section titled "Specular Per Pixel Lighting", the additional description is "requires pixel shader". A more imformative way of describing this would probably to state "requires a DirectX 8 compliant video card" (or is it DX 7? I can't remember.) As a general note, a pixel shader is a tiny element of graphics code. When refering to pixel shaders, one usually means that a video card supports a certain version of the pixel shader standard (i.e. PS1.0, PS1.1, PS1.4). Instead of saying a feature "requires a pixel shader", one should say a feature "requires pixel shader 1.0 support" (or whatever version is needed).

In the section titled "Color", the phrase "32 bit coloration" is used. Usually the phrase is just "32 bit color".

In the section titled "Mouse", under "Drag to Steer", it says "the turn only continues while you mouse moves." It should say "the turn only continues while your mouse moves."

In the section titled "Mouse Cursor", under "Hardware Cursor", it says "Select this option where the cursor is not appearing when at a base at all." It should say "Select this option when the cursor is not appearing at all when at a base.

In the section titled "Joystick" it says "Joysticks can also be programmed by direct editing the vegastrike.config file." It should say "Joysticks can also be programmed by directly editing the vegastrike.config file." Also, the description of the throttle controlling accleration and not set speed is incorrect; my throttle controls set speed.

Section 6.1.1
Change "At the beginning of play, this ship is the Tarsus; a gift to you from your deceased grandfather" to "At the beginning of play, this ship is the Tarsus, a gift to you from your deceased grandfather" (comma instead of a semicolon).

You do not need to double click your ship to launch; only a single click is necessary.

Section 6.1.2
Change "have a drink, chat to the locals, and view the latest news" to "have a drink, chat with the locals, and view the latest news".

Section 6.2
Change "The following menus may be accessed from multiple screens, so are located here for convinience" to "The following menus may be accessed from multiple screens, so descriptions of these menus are located here for convinience".

Section 6.2.3
Change "The player must then access the Commodities Exchange, Mission Computer, or Upgrades Computer, which has a Save/Load button located to the top right" to "The player must then access the Commodities Exchange, Mission Computer, or Upgrades Computer, all of which have a Save/Load button located to the top right".

That's it up to page 23. I'll go through the rest shortly.

Back