What about new Wing Commander games?

mb98

Spaceman
confused.gif
Are there coming any new Wing Commander games because I've playd the old ones so much... it's getting too easy. Now I'm doing Privateer 2 again.

I've heard some time ago something about Privateer 3, I'm wondering if there was anything 'bout that.

Beside this it really has been a while since the last Wing Commander.
mad.gif

MB98

Last edited by a moderator:
*Detects frustration building in the air*

Well P3 was cancelled, the POL game is mentioned very clearly in the main page, and other theories, rumors have come and gone. As for the games getting easy, I found it useful to edit the ships and weapons making it tougher to win. Try making your own missions or playing fan made ones...
When you play a game a enough it should get easy or maybe some are just faster learners.

Increasing demand for a new game seems to have an adverse effect on the quality of the product in question. Patience is a virtue for a reason.

We could always use help on making and improving ship models as there always seems to be a ready supply of ships to convert and edit. There is also the fanmade games, which haven't produced as much as possible due to lack of people's time.

mb98 said:
confused.gif
Are there coming any new Wing Commander games because I've playd the old ones so much... it's getting too easy. Now I'm doing Privateer 2 again.

I've heard some time ago something about Privateer 3, I'm wondering if there was anything 'bout that.

<<sigh>>Privateer 3 was canceled almost two years ago. Since than OSI switched to making MMP games, at least for the next few years. The next WC game is going to be Privateer Online. Something like Privateer and Ultima Online mixed together where you're free to do whatever you want.

Beside this it really has been a while since the last Wing Commander.
mad.gif

It hasn't even been two years yet since the last WC game….. And most games do take about two years to make.

[This message has been edited by Earthworm (edited March 30, 2000).]

If you're here and care enough to post about WC being dead.. it's not dead.
smile.gif

let's just hope that there is some company out there (Digital Anvil! HELP US!, hint hint) that will buy Wc's rights and contineu the saga...

------------------
"Just close your eyes and pretend it's Wing Commander"

DA's franchise is Lancer though.. making Wing Commander games would compete with that..

In order for _anybody_ to buy WC rights, Origin would have to be willing to sell them first. And that will never happen; businesswise, it would be one of the dumbest things they could do.

It's always the same routine:
The thing that may be logical businesswise is bad for the fans.
sad.gif

------------------
No one will hear your cry of death in the void of space

Kinda ironic, isn't it? You'd think that a company makes more money when its fans are happy... but sadly, that is not the case, since the fans are divided. I don't think the UO fans are all that unhappy about this decision.
frown.gif

If it's any meager consolation, what I hear from you guys is that "it'd be stupid for EA to sell the rights to WC." Why is this? Because it's still possible for them to make WC games in the future.

Hm.. Hi everyone, first post here. I've come to the CIC for a while, but this sparked me to finally speak up and say something on the boards..

I was thinking about keeping WC. Some game that might be the end-all, but could keep things going.

Well, we all know Freespace, I myself own it. What makes it a good game is not the campaign they included (blech), it's the features they added.

The ability to create your own missions and put them into a playable campaign, that was brilliant, that is why the game is popular. It's customizable. If origin were to take an engine with all the WC stuff, then add an official Mission Creator and Campaign editor in there, I'd buy it. Added bonus if they pop in a campaign of their own.

The fans would take over. We'd all have our own campaigns, telling our own stories (Without overwriting game files- which i HATE).

Origin'll probably never do it, but it's an idea.

------------------
"Your job is not to die for your country, your job is to make some poor dumb bastard die for his!"- Patton

That would've been cool.

A modular design included in the game engine is the best way to leave a door open to mod makers. I really hated that "recompiling" scheme that you had to do with a whole lot of games there...

But as they're not willing to realease anything WC related now, and they won't part with the license, we'd need to get the source code (hint, hint)...

------------------
The WC Source Code Release Project needs you!

"This matter winds itself ever in new riddles.", Faramir - The Lord of The Rings

"...we follow the sun, we follow the sun, we follow the sun..."

There's always Academy.
smile.gif
And people have had some success making Secret Ops campaign stuff.

Yes, a modular design is good... which is why I want the source code. Because all the WC games were a modular design. In the case of WC 1, I'd be making my own campaigns right now, if I fully understood how the briefing file works.

------------------
The WC Source Code Release Project needs you!

I personnaly would be making WC2 campaigns. I already began one, back in 1991 (I was 12 years old and a computer newbie) by Hex editing copies I made of SO2 so my new campaign would coexist with WC2, SO1 and SO2... I called it SO3
smile.gif
but because I was hex editing the existing code I had some difficulties making something really different, the intro was the same as SO2 but with different text, and the missions had the same objectives and nav point than the originals, though having diffent ships in different numbers. These where the days
smile.gif
Me, my brand new 386 (witch made my friend jealous) and my Norton Disk editor
smile.gif

Friend, I would kill for the source code now. (well almost
wink.gif
)

------------------
PopsiclePete

PopsiclePete's WC Page : http://members.xoom.com/PopsiclePete
E-mail : PopsiclePete@angelfire.com

Visit HCl's WC editing Archives

The WC Source Code Release Project needs YOU !

<Grin> Aye, Pete, that sounds like real advanced modifications there
smile.gif
The reason why I would prefer to start off with WC 1 is simply because it's easier... less stuff to edit. But undoubtedly, WC 2 offers much greater possibilities. The really big one is Priv though... the mind reels at the possibilites. From such simple changes as adding ships from other WCs, down to creating Kilrathi starbases (perhaps even make it possible to play a Kilrathi, hmm?), new campaigns, myriad new options... multiplayer...
All right, so I may be going just a bit crazy.
wink.gif
But hey, there's so much that could be done.
smile.gif

Yeah, right, real advanced modifications
wink.gif
, I didn't have the computer wizardy at the time
wink.gif
yet I made an extensive search and identified the function of almost every file in the gamedat directory... I flyed Kilrathi ships (witch, by the way, SUCKS in WC2, no wonder we kill so much !) and modified some cutscenes (witch was easy, the animation filenames, are in the files, and in the case of the ships, the number at the end of SHIP.Vxx is simply there in the mission file... change it and you change the ships you see - and the ship you fly.

I know this is unimpressive, but it was fun and heck, I was young
tongue.gif

------------------
PopsiclePete

PopsiclePete's WC Page : http://members.xoom.com/PopsiclePete
E-mail : PopsiclePete@angelfire.com

Visit HCl's WC editing Archives

The WC Source Code Release Project needs YOU !

Whoa... now that is a primitive way of doing things
smile.gif
. But then, I guess you didn't have HCl's mission editor back then, either.
You know, I've been looking at the in-game stats for WC2 ships, and I found that all of them are actually better than the manuals make them out to be
smile.gif
. Oddly enough, the same goes for Confed ships in WC1 - which usually have two or three cms more armour in the game than in the manual. Which also explains why flying the Dralthi was so bloody difficult
smile.gif

Quarto, could you mail me the specs? I'd like a look at 'em.

[This message has been edited by Death's Head (edited April 02, 2000).]

I know you would, DH...
smile.gif

There are still a few details that I need to make sure of (in WC1), and then I can send those to you. I can send you WC2 stats pretty much right away... but not today.
smile.gif
I'm sorta busy at the moment...

Back