Weird facts I noticed in WC4

Sharpshooter

Rear Admiral
1) Pliers' super Ship Enhancement Idea in Speradon apparently only adds one torpedo/mace to the Vindicator. That's all it does.

2) In some versions, it is apparently possible to destroy Ella without using the Flash-Pak. In other versions, you can damage Ella's armor and shields but you can't destroy it with conventional weapons.

3) In the Vesuvius scramble mission, you'll either fly a Banshee or a Dragon. It would appear that if you went to Circe you'll be flying a Dragon, whereas if you went to Speradon you'll be flying a Banshee.

4) In my French version, I've never seen Maniac try to get back at me after I let Dekker hit him.

5) There is a rare bug that can cause turrets to become invincible (this is only temporary - the bug should go away should you turn around then turn back).

6) You may run into an invincible Bearcat in the Peleus missions. Invincible Bearcats can't be destroyed, but they do not prevent you from autopiloting - just destroy the other Bearcats and ignore the invincible one(s) to the best of your ability.

1) Pliers' super Ship Enhancement Idea in Speradon apparently only adds one torpedo/mace to the Vindicator. That's all it does.

Oh, only *one* extra weapon capable of destroying any capital ship? :)

(You keep referring to multiple versions - do you mean different ports, or different releases of the PC version?)

Space Point!

My problem isn't the fact that he only adds one torpedo... My problem is that he doesn't mention he only enhances the Vindicator. Anyway, it can be useful if you get the Mace... But otherwise it's pretty useless. The capships really shouldn't be your primary targets in Outrun Ella. The Longbows are a much bigger threat to the Intrepid, and you can even autopilot past the capships.

Even I am not quite sure what I mean by "different versions"... :p For example, some people have destroyed Ella without the Flash-Pak but it's impossible with my PC-French-Win95 version of WC4.

Are you sure it's really impossible? It does take quite a bit of constant firepower.

It does seem to be impossible with the version I have. I even tried turning invulnerability on, putting full power to the weapons, and hitting Ella for a long time with both guns and missiles... But the damage meter just won't raise.

Could it have been your ship? You have to be in one with a sustainable damage output greater than the station's shield recharge rate.

Again, the problem with my version is that the terminal won't let me pick any other ship than the Dragon... Furthermore, the Flashpak is listed as a "Locked" weapon, so I can't unselect it and replace it with a Torpedo.

Again, the problem with my version is that the terminal won't let me pick any other ship than the Dragon... Furthermore, the Flashpak is listed as a "Locked" weapon, so I can't unselect it and replace it with a Torpedo.

You need to choose no to the flashpack in the FMV sequence during the briefing. If you said yes to flashpacking ella and sided with Hawk, that is what you will be stuck with. Also, I would have to check the actual mission specs but it's possible the coders made Ella impervious to anything other than the Flashpack in that variation of the mission.

Well, I can choose not to use the Flashpak for the Vesuvius mission, but I have no option not to use the Flashpak for the Ella mission.

Are you sure? The actual scene is where Panther and Hawk are discussing the Vesuvius' speed and manoeuvrability, and how they need to pass through Ella to have any chance of reaching Sol before her. It takes place before the briefing for the Ella mission.

The decision to use or not use the Flash-Pak takes you to one of two very different missions, so it seems unlikely that only one option is available because of a programming error.

Groan. What I meant is that if I choose to Nuke Ella, I *have* to use the Flashpack to do it. Not bringing the Flashpack is not an option. :)

I know I have killed Ella without using the FP, even though I selected to take it along. IIRC, you have to make sure to get all of the parts of it red before it goes boom, but I played so long ago I wouldn't swear to it.

It is possible - likely even - that there are slight differences in the French (and German) versions... the game launched in all three languages simultaneously and it's possible that they used a slightly earlier build because of the extra lead-time necessary.

Back