Website update, Feb. 20th

Eder

Mr. Standoff
Here's this friday's progress update! Not much to report, and no new screenshots... just spoiling you guys with weekly updates as promised.

Another friday, and another scheduled weekly update - and, once again, just a small amount of progress.

Our voiceovers are now just 197 lines away from completion - we now have more than 500 voiceovers ready for this episode. In terms of voiceovers (well, and in terms of pretty much everything else), this episode is much bigger than the previous ones - even Episode 1, which contained the lion's share of the generic voiceovers for the Confed pilots contained 659 lines. That's quite an impressive chunk of work... and all of it done by volunteers! The folks who have recorded voiceovers for us along the way outnumber the actual core Standoff team by a ratio of at least two to one, maybe even three to one. And they're the people who really make the game what it is - without voiceovers, even the best-designed missions are just plain dull.

Even so, I sure wouldn't mind having some mission progress to report...

Here's this friday's progress update! Not much to report, and no new screenshots... just spoiling you guys with weekly updates as promised.

Yeah come on mission people, get off your butts!

Just kidding guys, don't cease production because of my big mouth!:eek: You doing good.

Well a large problem of that is sort of my fault...I used my roommate's laptop for playtesting and 2 weeks ago he spilled cranberry juice on the machine totally destroying it. I'm waiting for him to get a new (even better machine) for testing in a week or two then I can get back to fill up Bugzilla with bugs and confirming others dead.

Wedge009 said:
Thank you, voice-over people.

Your welcome (from myself and the others). I'm pretty excited about the lines I recorded. I basically got the best part I could have ever hoped for.

I always hated hearing my voice played back to me, but a lot of people (mainly Americans for some reason) seem to like my voice. :confused:

While I dislike hearing my own voice as well, I have to say I can't wait to hear myself in the roles I recorded.

Quarto you'll have to give me that guy who didn't record those line's email so I can thank him for allowing me to record them. I even had my hat on while doing them just to be more in the spirit :D

While I dislike hearing my own voice as well, I have to say I can't wait to hear myself in the roles I recorded.

Quarto you'll have to give me that guy who didn't record those line's email so I can thank him for allowing me to record them. I even had my hat on while doing them just to be more in the spirit :D

I don't think anyone likes hearing there own voice. I personally don't like mine either, though I can do a radio personality pretty well, but unless I'm singing, I think I sound terrible... unless I'm singing either Dragonforce or Iron Maiden, then I get a lot of weird looks like, this guy is 6'5 with a deeper voice yet he can hit the higher notes? WTF?

If you're embarrassed by hearing your own voice, just be glad that there isn't a a bald, wrinkled, mustache-sporting version of yourself in any comm videos.

As for the "mission people, get off your butts" part - well, in their defense, we have no mission people since Ep 2.... we have one mission person/writer/producer/director, and two mission people/engine programmers. :p

If you're embarrassed by hearing your own voice, just be glad that there isn't a a bald, wrinkled, mustache-sporting version of yourself in any comm videos.

As for the "mission people, get off your butts" part - well, in their defense, we have no mission people since Ep 2.... we have one mission person/writer/producer/director, and two mission people/engine programmers. :p

I see, well in that case, allow me the luxury of rephrasing...

HEY MR. MISSION PERSON/WRITER/PRODUCER/DIRECTOR and MISSION PEOPLE/ENGINE PROGRAMMER GUYS, GET OFF YOUR BUTTS! Pant pant :D

They are off their butts, only they are producing, directing, and engine programming. :p

We have become a bit short on staff over the last few episodes, with effectively one tester and no dedicated mission programmers as of Ep 5... Starkey no longer has enough time for testing, Pete and Alex have accumulated the function of improving the engine, and Pete came up with the scoreboards as well, etc. It's a lot different from our situation in Ep 2 or Ep 3, for example.

They are off their butts, only they are producing, directing, and engine programming. :p

We have become a bit short on staff over the last few episodes, with effectively one tester and no dedicated mission programmers as of Ep 5... Starkey no longer has enough time for testing, Pete and Alex have accumulated the function of improving the engine, and Pete came up with the scoreboards as well, etc. It's a lot different from our situation in Ep 2 or Ep 3, for example.

Do you need another tester? I can resume my duties from the last episode, my availability isn't what it was though.

We could use a tester who had a lot of free time and already knew how everything works. Picking up anyone new at this point would just slow the rest of us down.

I´ve been testing the game a lot lately. It´s looking great! I promise you´ll all love this next episode!

And Dundradal, having being on the test team since the beginning, I can say Episode 5´s testing matches or exceeds Standoff´s best bug hunting times. Which doesn´t mean we don´t have much to improve.

IMO, it´s like Eder said: This episode is very big and far more complex to test than the previous ones, except Ep. 2 (sim missions introduced). Ep. 3 was really easy to test, for instance.

I wish I could have been around when Standoff started I would have loved to do some audio for voices. BTW That Dralthi looks awesome!!!

I can't wait to get back to testing. Hopefully by the end of next week my roommate will have his new computer and I'll be able to hear myself in the role I was born to play :p

I know Quarto and Pete have missed me filling up their inboxes with bugs the last few weeks. :D

I still remember drooling over the old dralthis that were shown back before epeisode 1 was released. And now, we are heading for the final instalment. It is so great to see a great project finally finished.

I am certain you guys will finish Standoff and somehow a simple "Thank you!" sounds too little.

Back