WCRPG Timeline

capi3101

Admiral
Afternoon, all (at least it is afternoon here right now, but I digress......).

This week in between working on Chapter Eight I've been putting in entries into WCRPG's timeline in Chapter 12.1. I've used multiple WCPedia articles and Star*Soldier as my primary sources for the timeline, and am very nearly finished with it at this point (I'm still incorporating some of what was in Star*Soldier and rectifying those events with the Privateer Online timeline, which I still hope to incorporate at some point). I've also used an old WC Aces timeline to gather some information on the history of the Cats (this timeline was originally compiled by Bandit LOAF, who was nice enough to list his sources and I was careful only to use the non-Aces events).

At this point, the timeline is nearly complete, but I'd still like a little bit of help with it if at all possible. I'd like it if y'all could review the events as listed and point out any errors or anything that contradicts continuity. There shouldn't be much, but I'd still like to keep the mistakes to a minimum. There may be entries that are superfluous or that duplicate one another, or contradict one another; those are the ones I want to try to eliminate.

I could also use a bit of help with incorporating elements from Privateer 2. Historical information on the game from the aforementioned sources is a bit scarce. For example, I don't know the year in which Vel Ricaud II was diagnosed with AOD and placed in cryostasis. If anybody has any information of this type on Privateer 2, I'd sure appreciate it if you could help me out here.

My entries on the Nephilim War (of which I have exactly one) is pretty vague...fair warning there.

The WCRPG timeline is at http://wcrpg.wikia.com/wiki/12.1:_Timeline . I'd be more than happy to put the name of anybody who helps out in the game's credits.

Just thought I'd let y'all know I've finished making my latter-era timeline entries, reconciling the Privateer Online entries with the events of the Nephilim War; this gives me a complete enough timeline to call the Chapter finished at this point. I did have to make one change to the "official" timeline seen in Star*Soldier; I pushed back the entry on the novel Clipped by about five years. Couldn't think of a different way to resolve some of the events otherwise.

Been reviewing the timeline this morning, and I think I've got most of the major inconsistencies in the timeline resolved at this point. I could still use an independent review from anybody willing to give it a readthrough. Looking for any remaining big mistakes at the moment.

I would strongly suggest adding the Privateer 3 (Retribution stuff) to the game. You are missing those events, and some of the major ship types and such there... I sent you a private message / conversation thingy with some ideas..

Yeah, I received your message. I've had a fairly busy weekend, and no time to respond. I'll give the P3 stuff a once-over when I get a chance.

Okay...I think my local copy of Firefox is being persnickety at the moment; copied down the search URL from your message, gavinfoxx, so I can take a gander when I get to another terminal. Had hoped to look at the P3 stuff now, but oh well.

I do have a copy of the P3 shooting script amongst my notes. Have to admit I haven't read through it yet...thought it had something to do with that whole 2672 Marc Lassiter story-arc (that was either P3 or the planned TV series; I don't recall which).

Just got done looking through everything that I could find via the "Retribution" search term...amounts to the early manual, the concept sheet, the design doc, the technical design doc, and the script (still haven't had time to go through the script, but I had time to go through everything else). In all that, there were no specific events mentioned - not even a specific year mentioned (though there's a lot of good quality data on things like equipment and commodities that I might be interested in adding into WCRPG.) Also found a new map, but it's in Visio so no luck getting anything from that (yet).

Where specifically do I need to be looking?

Well, you had mentioned ship types before, especially for the large ships -- I was under the impression that the creation and abandonment and trying of various classes of ships by confed was something that was relevant to the timeline? As well as various fighters coming onto the market or in or out of use, either for civilians or the military?

I have a few entries like that in the timeline for particularly noteworthy craft (such as the launch of the Tiger's Claw and Concordia, when the Rapier-II came into service, and a few of the Midway and Indomitable-class craft), and I'll definitely want things like that when it comes time to do the vehicle and capship catalogs (if that information is available). Mainly, though, the timeline in Chapter 12.1 is for major events.

Sorry if I gave you the wrong impression; I do appreciate you pointing out the Privateer 3 stuff to me and I will try to incorporate it into the game if I can.

Alright. Today I went back and took a look at that Crusader Day article from last June (https://www.wcnews.com/news/4265), and now I need some timeline input from the community. Is Crusader a part of the WC Continuity or not? I know the official line (that it's not); I don't care - I want to know what y'all think.

Me, I'm for saying it's not (due to the use of teleportation tech in Crusader). The challenge there becomes reconciling the references to the WEC in the WC continuity and re-writing the "No Mercy" entry in WCRPG's timeline (which is going to have to happen no matter what, since the reference I have there is wrong).

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe Crusader is NOT part of the WC Continuity... the stuff 'mixing' them is just put there for fans to notice... and further, even if you had the option of should it be in the WC continuity, it just 'feels' wrong!

Those are just easter eggs like the Bloodfang in Ultima VII or the Avatar in Super Wing Commander. If you used those as connections, every Origin game is part of one ridiculous mega universe.

Damn easter eggs...making my life difficult......:rolleyes:

You know......and this is a nascent brainquake, here......if Sam Langtry was speaking metaphorically about the WEC (in the Secret Ops reference; read it off the Crusader page), I might be able to pull something like the relationship between Twilight and (the unpublished) Midnight Sun, and say that No Mercy is a pseudo-sequel that's actually a retelling of a previous holovid from the point of view of a different character (thus making it the "true story" of the man who brought down the WEC). Problem solved.

My apologies for bringing up Twilight on these boards; if it helps, I retched a little just typing that last paragraph...

Back