WCP Quotes

Wedge009

Rogue Leader
For some silly reason I decided to waste my time last night by digging through the WCP TRE files, and found the schnazzy quotes file which seems to include every silly thing the game designers said during production. (There's also a quotes file for Armada, I think). Here's a quick sample:

Wing Commander: Prophecy Memorabilia

My AI kicked enough ass for 1.5 million people! froan

In the interests of getting the food before 8:30, we are setting up to order AT 5:10 on the button. If you want food (or beverages, Jason) come here and order now. No one is slipping in after that 5:10 marker. We will be on the phone at that point. I cannot stress this fact enough. At 5:10pm today, I will pick up the phone. At 5:10.02 I will begin dialing.Somewhere between 5:10.05 and 5:11 the phone will likely be answered (this time will now be considered T). At T+@.03 (where the @ symbol denotes approximately and the period signifies seconds) I will begin speaking to the operator at the delivery place and will be starting to place the order. This will take an unknown amount of time. This unknown length of time will henceforth be designated O. Therefore at T+@0.3+O the order will have finished being placed. At this point order confirmation will begin. Order confirmation will take another unknown length of time known as C (not to be confused with the speed of light, although the electricity moving through the phone lines will be moving at high velocity, or, if there are fiber optics between here and there, the speed of light). If you have not given your order by T+@0.3+O+C-0.1, you will be out of luck (orders placed that late by the way, will be heavily frowned upon, and may be wrong_).

(By the way, we are ordering from Frank and Angie's pizzeria.)
--From the Crunch Food Archives, courtesy of Kris Pelley,
programmer/food orderer conniseour"

Your AI only has to be good enough to kick Frank's ass. asommers

At two kilometers, a ten meter object is very small. pshelus

als: Is there a company policy against swear words in error messages?
jh: I don't know. Why? Did you find one of mine?
als: No, I'm thinking about putting one in.

The only time I was afraid of being in a foreign country without the
constition was that time I was naked in a South African jail for nine hours holding my
nuts after getting the $#!t kicked out of me.
afoshko, on freedom

fjr: If you guys want something, we can put it on the card and get it delivered.
jh: No thanks, I'm going out to get something nice.
fjr: We can order pizza!
jh: I meant lingerie, actually.
fjr: We can't put that on the company card, though.

...hmmm...traversing the object list once per object,
doing accurate distance calculations to every other object,
sixty times a second. I think we've found ourselves a new *Square Root King*
--pshelus <and associated involuntary flinching>
<hysterical laughter from crew>

fjr: I wish we could put our AIs up against each other.
jh: We can, but I'd have to keep yours from cheating.
fjr: Without cheating, mine would just sit and spin.

Top Ten Things to Put inside the 'Deluxe Edition' of Prophecy.

#10. Correctly Labelled game CDs. (Sorry LucasArts...)
#9. A Cloth Map of Britannia
#8. Adult - Sized Diapers
#7. The Extra Copies of Ultima 8!!
#6. Yet another rebate for WC IV
#5. An apology for Privateer 2
#4. A really cool 'Screenie!!' (Not.)
#3. One word... ToonStruck!!
#2. A letter to Microsoft, begging them to buy us
…and the number one thing to put inside the Deluxe Edition of WC: Prophecy...
#1. An autographed 12'' Single of Neil Young's 'Keep on Rockin' in the Free World'

Love, Billy Cain"

Top Ten Things You Might Hear Near Billy's Office

#10: Fix it or _____________.
a. I'll kill you.
b. I'm going to crush your skull with a cinder block.
#9: I'm your sex slave. What do you want me to do?
#8. What do you mean Star Wars isn't cool? I'll destroy you.
#7. Forty-two, come on!
#6. FAN-tastic!
#5. Visualize this... <proceeds to destroy your world>
#4. You're not ready for the Turd Olympics.
#3. Everybody loves Quisp!
#2. YEAH it is.
...and the number one thing you might hear near Billy's office is...
#1. It's an art call.

DY-NO-MITE. asommers
A Good Target is hard to come by. jhughes
With all the reference to AI, you can be sure the team did make an effort with it. ;)

Plus, that's an interesting last couple of quotes, dontcha think? :)

If one takes the time to look there are quotes from the developers hidden in the game files of many Wing Commander products.

TC

I know, I just thought I'd share some of them with you. :) I think Mr Sommers has an obsession with getting his name in as many places as possible - not just on the map, but also having as many crazy quotes as possible.

I'm not saying I don't appreciate the guy, just that he's... different. :)

I like the apology thing too, even though I don't have P2, and Origin didn't make it (or did they?). I find it odd that they would beg Microsoft to buy them too.

Allow me to reiterate, and explain why I feel that way.
IT WAS HORRIBLE.
1. The graphics were inferior to WC4, which was based on the same engine, and released at almost the same time.
2. The ai was horrible. What pilot with any common sense is going to ram another fighter head on?
3. The AI was horrible
4. Did I mention the AI?
5. The AI was horrible (Yes, it warrants repeating)
6. All the craft handled exactly the same. the only real difference was armor and weapon hardpoints.
7. The actor who played Lev Arris(Clive Owen) is ugly.(That one's just for spite)

Anything else I missed?

Allow me to answer:
1)It isn´t the same engine, the engine of P2 is the B-render. and it looks way better than WC4,specially the *lens flare* and the lights.
2,3,4,5) it can be true, they are so easy.
6)that is true
7)He was good doing his role, why you complain ?

I recall plenty of people referring to P2's graphics as being comparable to the 3D accelerated games of nowadays. Although, I can't make an opinion on that myself.

Mmmkay..

1. It was a different graphics engine and there was a good 6 months or more between their release dates.

2, 3, 4, 5. You just suck. The AI is programmed to improve as your kills go up and you progress through the plot. The highest level AI can be quite frustrating. Also, apparently you've forgotten the fact that Priv 2 isn't the only WC game where the enemy rams you. Retro ships in Priv 1 are the most common example. If you're getting rammed, you're obviously forgetting to GET OUT OF THE WAY.

6. The maneuvering stayed fairly similar, but the speeds can be the real difference.

7. Yeah, I forgot how all the other WC actors are sex symbols....

1. The graphics were inferior to WC4, which was based on the same engine, and released at almost the same time.

No, Privateer 2 uses the absolutely amazing b-render engine -- which lets it display hundreds of ships at a time quickly... on a 486. Wing Commander 4 uses the Armada engine with more sparkles on it.

6. All the craft handled exactly the same. the only real difference was armor and weapon hardpoints.

<Sarcasm>That doesn't sound like Wing Commander 4 at all!</Sarcasm>

Lemme Go a bit off subject.

Anybody who played P2 :

Did you think the viral transmitter was cool? That thing in my opinion was awesome.

For anyone who didn't play P2:

The viral transmitter sent out a virus with your IFF (friend or Foe) code to your target when you activated it. The virus would then shut down the target ship's systems like shields, guns, and engines i think also.

Yep. Did anyone else think it was a little eerie that the virus device being called the BSE, what with it being a British game and the problems the UK had with BSE later on?

Best, Raptor

The actor who played Lev Arris(Clive Owen) is ugly.

Not according to my sister. :)

I though P2 was great fun, but then again I don't dwell on things like A.I. and how a ship handles. Whatever.

Originally posted by Raptor
Yep. Did anyone else think it was a little eerie that the virus device being called the BSE, what with it being a British game and the problems the UK had with BSE later on?

Later on? BSE has been around since long before Priv 2. The government funded a huge research operation that lasted like a year testing sheep brains from 1990 for BSE. Some of the brains had BSE too. Then three days before they were due to announce their findings, they discovered that they were actually cow brains.

Oops.

Apparently this was all due to a labelling error, Bovine getting mistaken for ovine.

The cream of British science there:rolleyes:

Back