Votes: 4 57.1%
  • Yes but with issues (please detail)

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • I haven't tried

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters

Pedro

Admiral
Trying to get a sense of how many people are experiencing issues using DVD movies with the Prophecy enhancements

I hear voices but don't see anything. The video I'm not able to see seems to have an unusually long loading time (about 5 seconds or so). MUP is working though.

Edit: I changed the vote to "no".

Last edited:
I hear voices but don't see anything. The video I'm not able to see seems to have an unusually long loading time (about 5 seconds or so).

That would class as a no vote. Please select that option so we can get a good picture of yes vs no's.

But yes, that's the most common problem I've been hearing of.

That would class as a no vote. Please select that option so we can get a good picture of yes vs no's.

But yes, that's the most common problem I've been hearing of.
Not sure if this is that useful but here's a breakdown of some common issues (and some fixes) for the WC4DVD patch: https://www.wcnews.com/news/update/11584

If you get audio and no picture, then you likely need an mpeg 2 decoder. Please note that Windows Vista and 7 Home and Starter editions *DO NOT* come with DVD software pre-installed. To fix this you can simply download and unzip mpeg2dec into your WC4 directory. Then run register.bat (as administrator).

In some cases people with the "sound but no picture" problem were running multiple monitors. Disabling your secondary monitor may also fix this issue.

In the event you have neither picture nor audio, or the "missing movie" error, you can apply both of the above solutions, or if you want a one-step solution, codec packs such as K-lite and CCCP will work. Most of the codec packs include an AC3 decoder, so you don't need to install AC3 filter as well. The advantage of K-lite over CCCP is that it should make it easier to diagnose codec issues. The K-Lite Codec Tweak Tool shows all codecs available in the system and allows you to enable / disable individual codecs.

In some cases, players have been unable to get the game running no matter what codecs they install (the game simply will not initialize). In these instances the likely culprit is your firewall software. Either disable your firewall and antivirus while first running the game or create an exception for WC4DVD.exe to solve this issue. Some player have noted that they had to even go so far as to completely remove their firewall program before it would let them install the game correctly.

There have been a few instances of people running Windows 8 getting the 'Virtual Protect' error on start-up. In this case, this should be solved by setting the compatibility mode of WC4DVD.exe to Windows 95 or 98.

Windows 10 1909 x64 pro. Same issue as weise. Tried using mpeg2dec, the ac3 filter, klite, etc. It's almost like the videos are playing but relegated to a background layer or something. All I get is a black screen when those movies play (I can hear them just fine). I took an afternoon about a year? ago trying to get both to work to no luck. I used to use the opengl + movies patch a long time ago (I was on XP? at the time I think) I don't remember any issues from back then. Probably try it in a XP vm the next time I get around to it.

Windows 10, Radeon RX 580 and a Ryzen 5 1600X (who cares)...

Test Failed. Fresh GoG Install, game ran fine with Enhancement Pack + OpenGL, playing the low-quality movies. Stopped playing movies when I copied over the DVD ones into Movie. Black screen, I hear the sound but no visuals.

By the way, I remembered that we could run the game in smooth 60 fps somehow and thought the OpenGL-Patch would do that. Was I mistaken?
Was that the MUP?

Windows 10, Radeon RX 580 and a Ryzen 5 1600X (who cares)...

Test Failed. Fresh GoG Install, game ran fine with Enhancement Pack + OpenGL, playing the low-quality movies. Stopped playing movies when I copied over the DVD ones into Movie. Black screen, I hear the sound but no visuals.

By the way, I remembered that we could run the game in smooth 60 fps somehow and thought the OpenGL-Patch would do that. Was I mistaken?
Was that the MUP?

You can do 60Hz by editing the config file, I don't remember the line off the top of my head as its part of the MUP exe mods not the OpenGL dll so maybe someone else can post the details.

Hey guys, I did this recently when I was struggling with the MUP ship pack on AMD graphics, I remember the DVD playback worked with the 2013 DVD enhancement pack (wcphr.dll) without anything else, I had to down the RES to 1024x768 or it might have been 1280x720 otherwise it will play only in the corner of the screen, when I tried installing the OGL/MUP pack the game works but the Movie playback not, it will stay in the game and you can hear the movie sound but no movie playing I do not get a black screen - it just stayd where you were last. The previous patch OpenGL enhancement pack 1.2 does the same.

regards
Panther

Last edited:
Ok thanks guys, despite the numbers on the front page I think there's enough issues being experienced here to indicate we should be making this a priority.

Hey, I am late to the party. This saturday I got wcp + opengl to work flawlessly in Linux. The DVD patch shows a black screen. pressing escape will skip to the next scene though.

Back