WCP and SO mission editing help

RFBurns

Spaceman
Ok I played with the mission editors for both SO and WCP, I can get them to work ok but what I cant figure out is how to get the ID of each ship correctly. They show up as the ship name rather than the pilot name or wing name. Ive tried changing the @ship4@ for example to @Maeistro@ and his craft still showed up as Panther in the ID. Help! :eek:

RFB

That's 'cause Lt Garett's callsign is Maestro. :) But, seriously, I don't know what you're trying to do.

Don't worry, I know exactly what you mean...unfortunately I never figured a way around it. I think it is simply a limitation of making missions for the simulator as opposed to actual in-game missions (but I could be wrong, which wouldn't suprise me in the slightest).

Actually, no, sim missions are identical to normal missions in almost every way. While there is no mission objectives screen and no nav map, callsigns and such work just fine.

...It could just be that you guys are using the wrong editor :). Switch to the ever-amazing WCPPas ;).

What do you mean by ship ID? Is it what we see for enemy ships, giving the armour, shields and core damage data?

Originally posted by Quarto
It could just be that you guys are using the wrong editor :). Switch to the ever-amazing WCPPas ;).

Heu, Quarto, Thomas haven't made WCPPas publicly available yet...

Well, actually he has made it semi-public :). If you look at his news page from last year, you'll see that he created a mailing list specifically for WCPPas people - upon joining this group, you get to download WCPPas. The CIC even reported about this in their news, so you can't really get any more public... ;)

Ahh a different editor! Hmm, ok when its available I will try it! The one I have is one that doesnt appear to have much in the way of "user friendly" controls. In fact, it sometimes is junky cause you zoom out to put in a diff nav point and its too small to tell what youre putting in that nav point!! You cant move the map area around to zoom in on a specific nav circle. It just zooms the whole thing!! Thanks guys for your help! :)

RFB

No offense... but why do fan project people feel the need to 'hide' things like betas and new editors... they can benefit us all, in whatever form they currently take. The best editors of all were released with updates being made constantly... they kept peoples interest, which is what we have to do with Wing Commander now!

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
No offense... but why do fan project people feel the need to 'hide' things like betas and new editors... they can benefit us all, in whatever form they currently take. The best editors of all were released with updates being made constantly... they kept peoples interest, which is what we have to do with Wing Commander now!

Maybe because releasing unfinished products sometimes tend to do quite the opposite... making people loose their interest. Most people will download almost everything made to edit WC but will quit using them just after unzipping it if they can't figure it and have it working right away (see the post just before your's, right down here). How many time have I heard things along the lines:"Freespace 2 has a good editor, why aren't the WC editing tools as cool and easy?" But Quarto was right in some way, betas ARE available to people who show real interest, it's just not made available to the general public with a click on a web page (for the reasons I stated).

As for WCPPas, it is not secret, as it's said on Thomas's main webpage that he's working on it. People really interested could always mail him to get it. I think most bugs of WCPPas have been sorted out in the lastest version, so a public release might not be far away. But then, I suppose Thomas will release it when HE feels it's mature enough.

I agree, at least in the case of editing software... the less complex you can make it before its released, the more of a help it will be.

I agree, but I also see the bottleneck that could get caused with a bunch of missions created with editors with problems and before you know it, tons of maps and missions out there with bugs! Oh, this editor in question, and the maker, are there plans to complete the editor and make it available? Is there a link? Im currently using some editor called misb or something like that. Seems to work ok cept for that zoom problem. I was able to make a WCP mission, but never could get all the ships IDs correct, such as the comms window showing the pilot name rather than the ship name he/she is in. Then theres the attempt at getting a pack of enemies to spawn at certian times or after certian events. Took me forever to get the Midway lined up correctly at the finish nav point so it didnt appear below you when you autopilot to that nav point. (xyz garble)

If anyone can point me to some editing information and links to ask for this better editor, I would greatly appreciate any help! TIA! :)

RFB

(If anyone wants to try my WCP mission, contact me at rfburns@rfburns.net and I will send. I also ask if CIC will post it. The mission is called "Make it back to Midway")

Bugs? A problem in a Prophecy mission? I think not!;)

If you send your mission to loaf@wcnews.com, I'll post it to the CIC.

Bugs? A problem in a Prophecy mission? I think not!;)

If you send your mission to loaf@wcnews.com, I'll post it to the CIC.

Thanks LOAF, oh yea, maybe not problems in Prophecy missions or SO missions, but I can guarantee lots of BUGS! :)

RFB

Back