WCP and HCl's highres and movie patches on Vista

JonkyB

Spaceman
Hello all,

I'm looking to play WCP on my new Vista laptop, using the various patches that have been made. I can successfully use the Glide wrapper to get the extra visual effects. But, whenever I try to install the highres patch, the program crashes with the error message "install_gui MFC Application has stopped working". This happens whether I choose Direct3D or Glide, or any of the few resolutions I've inputted, and no matter what compatibility mode I activate. I don't know if it's relevant, but I can successfully run the Prophecy program itself under either Win95 or 98 compatibility, with any of software, direct3d or glide wrapper video card selected.

I've also downloaded the highres videos and followed the directions in unzipping them and WCP enhancement pack and VOB patch to the correct directories in WCP. The videos play in-game, but the video seems to start and stop a lot (not the audio though) and are a hassle to watch, since the display takes about 15 seconds to switch back and forth between the game and the desktop before beginning playback. I can play the videos perfectly fine in Media Player Classic, no jerkiness or anything, so I don't think it's a decoder problem. It also doesn't seem like the same problem people have with videos playing way too fast, since the videos are perfectly intelligble. Also, if I press escape during the video, the display moves on to the next screen, but the audio from the video continues in the background. If I use an older wcphr.dll file (or none at all), then the game plays the videos from the CDs with no problem whatsoever.

I'm using a Dell Inspiron E1505, with Core 2 Duo T7200, 2.00 GHz and 2 gig RAM.

Oh, and lastly, there is no option to change audio acceleration on my computer, my audio card apparently doesn't allow it.

Any help you can give me would be wonderful.

Hello all,

I'm looking to play WCP on my new Vista laptop, using the various patches that have been made. I can successfully use the Glide wrapper to get the extra visual effects. But, whenever I try to install the highres patch, the program crashes with the error message "install_gui MFC Application has stopped working". This happens whether I choose Direct3D or Glide, or any of the few resolutions I've inputted, and no matter what compatibility mode I activate. I don't know if it's relevant, but I can successfully run the Prophecy program itself under either Win95 or 98 compatibility, with any of software, direct3d or glide wrapper video card selected.

I've also downloaded the highres videos and followed the directions in unzipping them and WCP enhancement pack and VOB patch to the correct directories in WCP. The videos play in-game, but the video seems to start and stop a lot (not the audio though) and are a hassle to watch, since the display takes about 15 seconds to switch back and forth between the game and the desktop before beginning playback. I can play the videos perfectly fine in Media Player Classic, no jerkiness or anything, so I don't think it's a decoder problem. It also doesn't seem like the same problem people have with videos playing way too fast, since the videos are perfectly intelligble. Also, if I press escape during the video, the display moves on to the next screen, but the audio from the video continues in the background. If I use an older wcphr.dll file (or none at all), then the game plays the videos from the CDs with no problem whatsoever.

I'm using a Dell Inspiron E1505, with Core 2 Duo T7200, 2.00 GHz and 2 gig RAM.

Oh, and lastly, there is no option to change audio acceleration on my computer, my audio card apparently doesn't allow it.

Any help you can give me would be wonderful.

Just curious, Did you remember to copy the GF.tre files to the patch directory before running the patch installer? And did you set a comptability mode on the patch installer?

Yep, data, gf, gf2, and gf2.tre are all in the patch folder. I tried Win95, 98, and XP compatibility modes on the patch installer, and I still get the same error message each time. I used Win95 compatibility on the game installer, if that makes a difference.

I have the exact same problem on vista, anybody found a solution ?

Hey Wedge,,

I'm not using the patch at all, just the updated wcphr.dll file...
I thought the patch installation was only mandatory for Hi res game and had nothing to do with hi res video.

Am I wrong ?

Hey Wedge,,

I'm not using the patch at all, just the updated wcphr.dll file...
I thought the patch installation was only mandatory for Hi res game and had nothing to do with hi res video.

Am I wrong ?

You still need to copy the entire zip contents into the WCP directory. Overwrite any files if it asks. Then, you need to have all the movies in a directory called 'movie' (no 's'). THe DVD videos should play with no other modification. Running the patch installer is only for running the game at higher resolutions and is not necessary for getting the high res movies.

Should you run the patch installer make sure you set the compatability mode of your installer file and not just the game EXE.... also, if you set the compatability mode before overwriting with the new patch files then you'll need to do it again.

Yep I did all that and it mostly works but still have the problem of the video sound continue to play when you press escape... (example: video briefing, press escape, briefing starting with the video sound over it)

The video themselves are working but the quality is not as good as when I launch directly the video using VLC or Power DVD,

There are some strange horizontal lines appearing (and a bigger one in the center) specially when there are some movements on the screen...

Hello All,
I folow instructions from http:__www.wcnews.com_news_update_7428 but unfortunetly I got this error message "install_gui MFC Application has stopped working" while running Install.exe in Windows 95 compatability mode on. I cant see movies (gray screen).
My system is Windows 7, ATI Radeon HD5670

Problem name: APPCRASH
Application name: install.exe_install_gui Application
Application version: 1.0.0.1
Time sygnature: 3e640286
Module name with error: StackHash_0a9e
Wersion of module with error: 0.0.0.0
Time sygnature of module with error: 00000000
Exception code: c0000005
Exception shift: 00000000
Operation system version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1045
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

OK I installed OpenGL mode and it works fine ;)

Last edited:
Back