WCM Director's Cut

The Shadow

Spaceman
im not sure if anyone has already brought this up in a thread or anything yet etc. but, i was just wondering, what if there was a wing commander director's cut? for example, say there was some secret scene that was cut from the movie before it was released and this scene was either something that simply added to the overall depth of the movie or perhaps it was a variation of a scene already in the movie (ie. alternate ending)? anyway, what would you want this scene to be if money was no object?

I would want it to be something like this: just after blair jumps into sol, he transmits the kilrathi jump co-ordinates to the concordia battlegroup, gets chased by the snakier and kill it etc etc. but when the concordia battlegroup get ready to ambush the incoming kilrathi cap ships..... the cats jump in behind the battlegroup and start a massive battle with the confed fleet. apparently, once the kilrathi found out that their concom was raided by the crew of the claw, they changed their entry co-ordinates into sol so they wouldnt get ambushed. Anyway, this battle is huge, similar in size to that at the end of return of the jedi with great special effects that woulda cost heaps! blair would play a big part here too... doing the cats heaps of damage, hehe. during the battle when confed isnt looking too good, in comes the claw to reinforce and helps.... in the end, confed win of course! of course, if such a scene existed... i doubt it would have been cut! :) anyway, what do you all think?

Quite a lot of the movie was cut -- an entire subplot involving the captain of the Tiger's Claw being a traitor, and then there being a Pilgrim informant among the Kilrathi.

Note that the version we saw *was* the directors cut -- it was cut by the director.

Really? did they actually film these scenes or were they just simply cut from the script?

I thought that the term "director's cut" referred to the film including what the director had cut?

Robert's was involved in the editing of the final cut of the WC movie? Yuck. The editing on that made me have motion sickness it was so bad; poor Chris!!!

I doubt they'll release a DC of the film, since it didn't do so well. However, it's quite possible that someone has a copy of the "dailies" (the raw footage filmed each day) or a "work print" (a very rough cut of the film). Hell, it's even more possible since there was a test screening with the scenes in the film...

I'm more keeping my eyes open for a bootleg of the WCM score though ;-)

"Director's Cut" means the version which the Director decided upon. Sometimes, the film has parts cut out by upper management, either without the Director's agreement or with only a very grudging agreement, and in that case the commercially-released version is different to what the Director had thought would be ideal. So basically, the Director's Cut is a sort of idealised (by the Director) version of the movie.
Now, as far as I know, only the traitor's subplot was actually cut from the film (Merlin wasn't cut, since he was never put in there in the first place :)), and this was Roberts' decision. So like LOAF said, what you've got is basically the DC, though not labelled so.
Of course, those cunning Fox marketing people could still release a fancy new version with the traitor-subplot and get Roberts to agree to label it the Director's Cut, but I don't think we really want that. What would the traitor subplot have really added? As far as I can see, absolutely nothing. Considering Wilson's actions in the first scenes, I can also understand why it would be confusing for the audience. All in all, I think that's one subplot better left in the rubbish bin.

Yes, the scenes were filmed... IMO, the later traitor scenes might add something: the knife fight between Blair, Gerald and Wilson was to be one of the big points of the movie... and instead they just have Blair find the NAVCOM with no difficulty.

So the movie was goo or bad, here don't play the movie or a videotapes, i only purchased the novelization.

My knowledge of the term "goo" has been expanded thanks to Ghost.

Oh, it wasn't bad...but it was definately goo. Perhaps green and slimy...

Or perhaps thats what inhabits the spines of those joyful suits at EA.

Originally posted by RFBurns
Ok, I just got my DVD of WC movie, so I am going to ignore all these rants and raves about it.
Mrs. RFBurns: "Oh great!! Another item I can hide from my husband!!!"
:D:D

Ya I know! But I have a plan,...she works late so I will watch it tonight and hide it before she gets back!!

RFB

Hmm. Youre right! But I have a plan B too. I will take it to work and keep it there and watch it on the DVD players and widescreen projection tv's there! She might suspect something, but I will just tell her its nothing to be worried about! (she will show up one day at work while I am sitting there watching it!)

RFB

It's cat and mouse again, basically... ;)

What you can do, is plant a tracker in each one of your WC items... so you can find them later with a special tracking device... :D

If she asks what you're doing with that weird screen in your hands beeping, tell her you're going treasure hunting (in the house, that is <G> )...

Perhaps the cut scences from the movie would have added to the quality of it, perhaps not.... i originally started this thread to find out what you guys out there would have liked to have added to the movie if YOU could have made a scene or changed one in some way?

Originally posted by The Shadow
Perhaps the cut scences from the movie would have added to the quality of it, perhaps not.... i originally started this thread to find out what you guys out there would have liked to have added to the movie if YOU could have made a scene or changed one in some way?
Ok... how about add an introductory scene of previous Confed-Kilrathi confrontations... e.g. McAuliffe... fairly brief... just to introduce the clash...

It sort of had that, though... you hear the sound-clips from all the important events in human history as the camera pans over the universe map -- exploring space, discovering the jump drive, meeting the Kilrathi, declaring war...

But those are of little or no help for non-WC fans... it's going too fast...
At least that's the impression I got...

Just the opposite, IMO -- that quick montage shows how we got from where we are (Kennedy's speech) to war with the Kilrathi... non-WC fans don't need to be confused by detailed information about specific battles.

Back