WCIV: Tolwyn's salute to Blair on Intrepid

Chip

Spaceman
I remember during the scene where Blair releases Tolwyn from the Intrepid. Tolwyn (a senior officer) salutes Blair before Blair salutes Tolwyn (I don't think that Blair salutes Tolwyn). If anyone saw this scene, do you think that the salute of respect that Tolwyn displayed was genuine? I mean, when I saw Tolwyn salute Blair, the impression I got was that there was a small part of Tolwyn that admired Blair for being himself, that Tolwyn for a moment believed Blair to be a superior human being -- not in GE terms, but in character. When I refer to Blair being himself, I mean, Christopher Blair, the guy who believes things will work out, the guy who doesn't mind being a non-GE person who also doesn't worry about the odds even when they're tremendously stacked against him, the guy who wants to live out his life in peace.

I think it's just the fact that Tolwyn always respected Blair as a soldier. You seem to be reading into it too much.

I agree with LeHah. Tolwyn probably did respect Blair's integrity and skill. And by the way....ENOUGH WITH THE FREAKIN READING BETWEEN THE LINES!!! ENOUGH WITH HIDDEN THIS AND THEME THAT!! THIS IS NOT ENGLISH! ARRRRGGGHHHH!!!

Ahh... Chip, my old friend. How have you been? Still on your medication?

You see Tolwyn respected Blair. Also, you have to realise that Blair was the captain of the Interid at that point, and the two were from different militaries. This is one of the reasons why Blair didn't salute back.

Blair DID salute back, once Tolwyn was on the shuttle.

Tolwyn must have thought that Blair was at least a worthy foe.....how many times had he sent Blair on suicide missions and Blair made it back?

Originally posted by Chip
I remember during the scene where Blair releases Tolwyn from the Intrepid. Tolwyn (a senior officer) salutes Blair before Blair salutes Tolwyn (I don't think that Blair salutes Tolwyn)

Er, if you want to get technical about it, Tolwyn was no longer Blair's superior officer. You know, that little matter of Blair "re-enlisting" with the Border Worlds to fight Confed and all that.

Best, Raptor

The important thing to watch in that scene is the difference between *how* they saluted... <G>

IIRC, Tolwyn salutes with his arm straight, body straight... and keeps his pose...
Blair simply brings his hand to his forehead for half a second, IIRC...

They saluted in different ways -- one meaning indicating that their country had lost a war, the other not.

I take it that Blair's was the surrendering salute? ;)

SARCASM ALARM!

Back