WCIV Tech Demo for WCS Stand Alone

Christos ESQ

2nd Lieutenant
I realise there is a WCIV Remake in the Works (that I believe requires the GOG Version of WCIV and is basically reworking the gameplay and graphics but keeping the Original Movie Cut Scenes, do correct me if I am wrong?) yet I was Recently made aware of Some WCIV Missions that the WC Saga Team did for Their FSO Open WC Saga Prologue.

I was Wondering if those Missions would work via Campaign Mode in the Standalone Game that arrived Nearly Five Years after those WCIV Demo Missions?

I have already extracted the 'Refreshed' WCIV Movies to my WCHFAssets Folder (which was Suppose to be in the 'WCS Prologue' folder which apparently is a Folder that is in the FSO Mode Root Directory however not in the Standalone Verison) so I just put the WCHFA folder in the 'Wing Commander Saga' Folder of the Latest Version of Patched Stand Alone Build. I also Extracted the 'wing_commander_iv_tech_demo.7z' into that Same Folder hoping that it would Pop Up in the Campaign Menu , alas it doesn't seem to be as Easy as just Popping or Extracting a Folder (as was the Case per one of the Missions I simply extracted to the 'missions' folder which ended up Working just Fine via the Simulator, I kind of Knew it was Wishful Thinking that it would be So Easy, yet if there is a Way to Play these WCIV Missions that the WCS Team made over Decade Ago when they were Testing Out what would eventually become the Darkest Dawn, then please let me know.

If the above is not an option, I take it, going the FSO 3.6.12 Inferno (or perhaps a Newer Build) route that would also Run the WCS Prologue Mod (???) might be a way to Experience These Demoes?

Advise when Able if so Inclined, Thank Ye Kindly -

The WC4 Fan Remake will natively incorporate a new iteration of the high quality high definition enhanced videos that ODVS has been releasing over the past year.

Yes, I have been following that project both on Here and via Youtube Interviews with the Development Team. Based on that, my understanding is that that project will have an entirely new Engine that I will most certainly need to upgrade my Graphics Situation for, as I am presently working with Intel HD Integrated Graphics which was unable to Manage the WCSaga Reboot done via FSO, I installed Knossos a couple days ago and attempted to Run the WCIV Tech Demo there, to no avail alas. I've been Troubleshooting it the last couple days with some help over on the HLP Discord.

Per the HD Videos that ODVS's been releasing, I am guessing they were meant for and work with the Original and will be compatible with the GOG Release of WCIV? I suppose I could give that a Whirl if my Initial Intention of experiencing WCIV via the Saga Engine (which I'm aware is a Slightly Modified version of FSO) - - Here's the thing, whether intentional or not, for some Reason, Wing Commander Saga runs with Graphics Maxed Out despite my Limited Graphics Situation (believe to my Surprise) but it does and the Experience was Very Enjoyable and I would lurve to have another Taste, via the WCIV Tech Demo Pack, which is still available on the WCSaga Sit, altho' I am not altogether opposed of Picking Up the GOG Version of WCIV and hopefully getting ODUS's HD Videos to Run on my Current non-gaming system, suggestions are Welcome, Many Thanks!

Per the HD Videos that ODVS's been releasing, I am guessing they were meant for and work with the Original and will be compatible with the GOG Release of WCIV?

The HD videos are a drop-in upgrade for the DVD version of WC4 (not original DOS CD version), and the GOG version is fortunately basically the DVD version as well.

Both WCS full and the WCIV Tech Demo are being ported over to modern FSO builds:

Yeah, I have downloaded and installed both of them through Knossos and tho I was able to play (and Mightily Enjoy) Wing Commander Saga both in 2016 when I first became aware of it and late last year for another run through, that was the Stand Alone Version that came out in 2012 and I think finally all patched up in 2015, but it Ran at Full Graphical Settings (on Integrated Graphics I might add) at 60 fps, however the FSO Ports do no seem to work well with my Current Antiquated Set Up even tho I was able to Play Through FS2 and some other mods with the FSO Engine.

The HD videos are a drop-in upgrade for the DVD version of WC4 (not original DOS CD version), and the GOG version is fortunately basically the DVD version as well.

Given the Above, either in the Interim of my Initial Post or shortly b'fore, I purchased a copy of the GOG Version of WCIV with Intentions of Playing the Remake/Remaster, but it seems like that has been Delayed, understandably. Also, I am not Sure my Current Graphics Situation could muster the Requirements of the Remaster so methinks I am gonna try to just Play to OG (or rather GOG) Version of WCIV (hopefully with the Drop In HD Movies added within. If you've a link to how those 'drop in,' send it over if it's easily accessible if you please. Thank Ye Kindly.

Oh, and I did do 'a little' research of my own before I am asking this, but what's the Latest on the WCIV Remaster... I did go to their site and did a cursory scan of the CIC and Discord, but nothing quite popped out on the matter. I'll excavate further after I dig out the Trusty Ole HOTAS, tut. Thanks Again.

Oh, and I did do 'a little' research of my own before I am asking this, but what's the Latest on the WCIV Remaster... I did go to their site and did a cursory scan of the CIC and Discord, but nothing quite popped out on the matter. I'll excavate further after I dig out the Trusty Ole HOTAS, tut. Thanks Again.

The main team (me, ODVS and Defiance) are all swamped at work. I'm in the final stages of preparing a VR game for launch on multiple platforms, so working pretty much 24/7.
Work should resume soon, the dates vary slightly but we all start freeing up in about a month.

Thanks for the Update, @Pedro - - I doubt I will be able to Run It anytime Soon anyhow, but I have enjoyed following the project's progress. In the Meantime I'm gonna try to give the GOG Version a Go with @ODVS 's HD Videos 'dropped in' with hopes that the HOTAS support (along with a Key Mapper) isn't too Janky. We'll see.

Good news for you on that score, @Christos ESQ - I have played through the whole of the GOG WCIV release using both my HOTAS (X-55 Rhino) and the HD video pack with no issue and very little setup :^)

I say I used my HOTAS - I really just used the stick (not the throttle as well) and used the keyboard to control throttle, afterburners etc. - but that's how I used to play back in the 90s when all I had was a crappy flightstick, so that's how my muscle memory is organised for WCIV :^)

In terms of getting the videos to work, it's relatively simple - just dig into your install directory, rename your VOB folder (I named mine "VOB_OLD"), create a new VOB folder and drop the HD videos in there. That should be pretty much it.

Some people reported long load times for the HD videos to start playing and a couple of other minor issues, but they've been rare cases. If you notice any issues, @ me and I can probably point you in the right direction. I also included a release notes document with the latest version (https://download.wcnews.com/files/wing4/wc4_hdpack_5.0_01.zip https://download.wcnews.com/files/wing4/wc4_hdpack_5.0_02.zip), which you could reference first.

Thanks for the Update, @Pedro - - I doubt I will be able to Run It anytime Soon anyhow, but I have enjoyed following the project's progress. In the Meantime I'm gonna try to give the GOG Version a Go with @ODVS 's HD Videos 'dropped in' with hopes that the HOTAS support (along with a Key Mapper) isn't too Janky. We'll see.

We are planning on making it run on potato PCs. All the effects are optional and we've been targeting pretty low poly counts knowing not everyone in the WC community is a modern PC gamer.

If anyone could help me convert WC Saga's campaign into a MP, I would be glad. No need for balancing, I'll just amp up the difficulty to the max. I do not want to learn the editor just for this one thing.

Good news for you on that score, @Christos ESQ - I have played through the whole of the GOG WCIV release using both my HOTAS (X-55 Rhino) and the HD video pack with no issue and very little setup :^)

I say I used my HOTAS - I really just used the stick (not the throttle as well) and used the keyboard to control throttle, afterburners etc. - but that's how I used to play back in the 90s when all I had was a crappy flightstick, so that's how my muscle memory is organised for WCIV :^)

In terms of getting the videos to work, it's relatively simple - just dig into your install directory, rename your VOB folder (I named mine "VOB_OLD"), create a new VOB folder and drop the HD videos in there. That should be pretty much it.

Some people reported long load times for the HD videos to start playing and a couple of other minor issues, but they've been rare cases. If you notice any issues, @ me and I can probably point you in the right direction. I also included a release notes document with the latest version (https://download.wcnews.com/files/wing4/wc4_hdpack_5.0_01.zip https://download.wcnews.com/files/wing4/wc4_hdpack_5.0_02.zip), which you could reference first.
Huzzah!!

We are planning on making it run on potato PCs. All the effects are optional and we've been targeting pretty low poly counts knowing not everyone in the WC community is a modern PC gamer.

I am Currently on a All-In-One Sony VAIO with Integrated Graphics from like 2014 or So, but rather than Upgrading to a Gaming Rig, I think for My Vagabond Life post Pandemic, I am Gonna Opt for a VAIO (the New Non Sony Breed) All Black 14" Intel i7 core with 16 GM Ram, it just seems more Suitable for my Next Chapter than Lugging Around a Desktop or Bulky Laptop. But it'll Still be More Powerful than what I am Presently Sitting in Front of.... Thanks for Doing what Y'all are Doing. Take Your Time, don't Mind Me, I usually Play Games about a Decade behind.... I just installed the Sierra Online 'Conquest of Longbow' to Keep Me Busy til the WCIV Remaster is Demo Ready, Tut. And I have Y'alls HD Videos to Drop In my GOG Version of WCIV as well over the Next Month ~

I remember the Long Load Times of the OG Dos Version and Doing Pushups during the four or five mintues load times, Tut. In the Nineties -

Last edited:
Some people reported long load times for the HD videos to start playing and a couple of other minor issues, but they've been rare cases. If you notice any issues, @ me and I can probably point you in the right direction. I also included a release notes document with the latest version

Whoa, that was a bit of a Shock (when going right into the Missions with Maniac from the Intro).... So I kinda Feel like this a Topic for another Thread given that is has FA to do with Saga, but I dropped the Extracted HD Videos into the New 'vob' folder sans Issue however as the Intro Starts when I play the Game from the GOG Launcher, there is no Sound during the Videos but there is Sound per the Voice Acting Options when given a Choice of Replies and also once the Gameplay portion of the Game begins. I'll start a New Thread if that's the Proper Etiquette and maybe Move On over to Discord per HOTAS Related Queries... On the plus Side, the Throttle worked from the Get, as I haven't even made it to a Screen where I am able to assign controls just yet. I'm gonna go look at your Thread on the HD Videos and see if Others have had this Issues per Lack of Audio....

Whoa, that was a bit of a Shock (when going right into the Missions with Maniac from the Intro).... So I kinda Feel like this a Topic for another Thread given that is has FA to do with Saga, but I dropped the Extracted HD Videos into the New 'vob' folder sans Issue however as the Intro Starts when I play the Game from the GOG Launcher, there is no Sound during the Videos but there is Sound per the Voice Acting Options when given a Choice of Replies and also once the Gameplay portion of the Game begins. I'll start a New Thread if that's the Proper Etiquette and maybe Move On over to Discord per HOTAS Related Queries... On the plus Side, the Throttle worked from the Get, as I haven't even made it to a Screen where I am able to assign controls just yet. I'm gonna go look at your Thread on the HD Videos and see if Others have had this Issues per Lack of Audio....
Almost for sure a codec issue... make sure you have an AC3 decoder installed. Something like AC3Filter or another codec pack like K-lite should do the trick

Yea @ODVS has been Assisting Me troubleshoot this Issue, I followed his advice per the pdf in the HD Pack downloads and have Installed the Mega Pack from K-Lite, all the Videos play when launched from the vob folder via Media Player Classic with Sound but when Launched from the GOG launcher the only Sound I get is Blair's Dialogue. I am gonna try to rename the folder and see if the Original (or rather the DVD Versions) play with Sound Next, thanks for all the suggestions ~

@FekLeyrTarg 'Both WCS full and the WCIV Tech Demo are being ported over to modern FSO builds:'

I don't know how I missed given how many times I Google 'Wing Commander 2 Intro Scene' but tonight whilst Juicing Honey Dew Melon I came across your Remake of the WCII Intro.:
... (I was Really Jonesin' to See What you Did with Kilrathi during the Intro, alas) and I know you made some WCIV Missions via the modified Freespace Engine for Saga, also I realise that this Youtube Vid is Now an Entire Decade Old and you are Busy on the XWVM Project.... but I saw the Saga/Freespace Load Screen b'fore the Intro Cinematics Played, did you by chance Do any WC2 Missions....After Updating my Graphics Drivers, I am Seemingly No Longer able to Launch any of the Mods via Knossos and I am just taking a Shot in the Dark, wanting to give my HOTAS some Love b'fore I descend into the Jungle for a Trimester. Cheers...

Back