WC4

Just started playing again using the windows patch and joystick patch. Its been 7-8 years. I was playing on ace level to start, and now on easiest level cause I cant kill anything with lasers, only missiles. I do remember playing this game when I could actually take out another fighter with just guns. Cant do it now. Am I doing something wrong or should I play straight up on Dosbox and edit my own joystick config?

Well... I play WC4 with a mouse, so I may not be very qualified to give advice, but I do remember that it took me quite a bit of training before being able to hit WC4 fighters in a reliable way on Ace difficulty (especially the pirate Arrows). :p

If you really can't hit fighters on easiest, however, your joystick may be misbehaving.

I wouldn't recommend using DosBox to run WC4 unless you have some kind of very powerful supercomputer.

Must be the joystick. W/o the patch I cant even use it. W/ the patch the thing is so jumpy. I try to stare down a straight on shoot and by the time I've actually centered the thing, it has already flown by me. Maybe I will try the mouse.

I will give the joystick patch 1 thing though. I have an old ms precision sidewinder. It does allow for the twist action. That is about it.

It's probably just that you're out of practise, I dug out WC2 for the first time a few weeks back and it took me a few attempts just to kill a Sartha - you'll soon get back into the groove of things.

Before you worry about the joystick patch, you may want to calibrate the stick in Windows, first, to see if that helps any.

Generally speaking, it's usually a good idea to try fixes not involving more installed software before going to patches/drivers/etc, in my experience.

It's probably just that you're out of practise, I dug out WC2 for the first time a few weeks back and it took me a few attempts just to kill a Sartha - you'll soon get back into the groove of things.

trying doing it with a touch pad... UGH!:D

True that. Just figured out how to play again. Joystick way out of practice. Still, joystick isnt as snappy as it used to be, or was it always this bad? Probably a mixture of both. I am finding if I play the game on Veteran or Easy, I can actually play through. It used to be Ace or Hard, but who gives a crap.

I am playing an unstable game just to play thru to the end where I can lay down that flat thingie and kill everyone on a space station. then fly and make fun of Malcolm McDowell. Not to be confused with Roddy McDowall who played the ape in Planet of the Apes. Always get those 2 guys confused. Malcolm with an armload of butter in Caligula and a place to put it does beat Roddy on paper

Back